10 minutes ago, asf6 said:

The first floor in Thailand is the same as the British ground floor. The one that is on the ground level. 

Thanks, appreciate that since I can't walk stairs since my accident and the hotel answered me with first floor, so I wasn't sure thanks again 

The first floor in Thailand is the level above the at grade street level or ground floor. Same as Europe.

Lifts in hotels are going to have a G button for the ground level. A few may have the ground floor with a L button for lobby.

There are hotels that have an mezzanine level (M button) between the Ground floor and 1st floor as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Thanks, appreciate that since I can't walk stairs since my accident and the hotel answered me with first floor, so I wasn't sure thanks again 

Better to ask for ground level???? 

Then there is a hotel near me where the reception is on the first floor but there is an elevator from the parking.

Edited by VocalNeal

32 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

There is no rule as such. You got ground floor, first floor, etc. 

You forgot the 'M' floor in some hotels.  Best just to take notice where you are, and what floor you are on, before entering elevator.

Yeah ^^^, I would certainly ask about it being at ground level.

Just to confuse, our office has "G" as the at-grade floor but the next one up is "2".

Our condo in KL had the entrance at "3A" (4 being unlucky in Chinese), it also had ... 11, 12, 13, 13A, 15 ... and the less said about the lift in our place in Ankara, Turkey, the better ???? 

The Elevator in the Hospital,  ( in Thailand)  has a button for G = Ground, but the automated voice  in the elevator announces  First floor  when arriving at ground level, then again T.I.T

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if there is an official rule about it.

Reality is, at least in Bangkok high-rise buildings, that what some people call ground floor is called by others 1st floor. You never know.

I agree--no set rule.   I've seen 'G' and then '1' on elevators lots of times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why not contact the hotel again to clarify, rather than ask on AseanNow? Strange.

That might be difficult. What should he ask? Is the 1st floor the first floor? Or is it the ground floor?

And maybe they have a staircase which makes it kind of a high ground floor, or maybe they call it 1st floor. ???? 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:
5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why not contact the hotel again to clarify, rather than ask on AseanNow? Strange.

That might be difficult. What should he ask? Is the 1st floor the first floor? Or is it the ground floor?

And maybe they have a staircase which makes it kind of a high ground floor, or maybe they call it 1st floor. ???? 

Is the first floor the bottom floor? Do I have to use a staircase? :tongue:

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes mister, have bottom floor, sure. ???? 

Have lift duai. 

Not funny at all I had 2 broken ankles and cannot walk up or down steps the hotel is small and has no lift it only has 2 stories so that's why I post that question. 

• Haha 1

If that's the hotel you are staying at, SK, I would check again with the hotel about where exactly your room will be. Ask them if their first floor is actually on the ground level because the photo you posted appears to me to show guest rooms on the top two floors, not the ground floor. The bottom rooms don't appear to be bedrooms, but perhaps used for the reception, a restaurant, and other such facilities.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That might be difficult. What should he ask?

Can I get to the room without using stairs or an elevator?  That seems to be what he wants to know.

• Like 1

Booking.com says that the hotel still kicking posted a photo of has facilities for disabled guests, so ideally that would mean they have rooms on the ground floor. But failing that, a fireman's lift to a room on the upper floors would be better than nothing. Thoughts and prayers. ☺️

Edited by asf6

When speaking Thai they use the same floor numbering system as the US.  That is, 1st floor (chan neung) is at ground level, then second, etc.  But when they use English, it depends on whether the owner learned the British style of numbering or the American, so the only way to tell is to ask them or go see the hotel.

2 hours ago, asf6 said:

Booking.com says that the hotel still kicking posted a photo of has facilities for disabled guests, so ideally that would mean they have rooms on the ground floor. But failing that, a fireman's lift to a room on the upper floors would be better than nothing. Thoughts and prayers. ☺️

I ask about a lift and the hotel says there is no lift because it has just 2 storeys I ask if the room on the ground floor and I am getting no real answer, if you have seen the picture it looks like the ground floor just looks like restaurant and shops and the lobby, I talked to different people in Thailand they all have different answers, but how can a hotel have facilities for disabled if they can't reach the upper levels? I mean I am not in a wheelchair but just cannot use steps, The last place I stayed in was a condo it had a lift and facilities for disabled guests but it increased the rent by a lot in 6 months and my friend did not like it, so I send an e-mail again to clarify the situation.

27 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Seems like he has asked the hotel but not the right question to confirm his concern

Reminds me of something I read here many years ago. Someone, a farang, rang a restaurant and asked if he needed to reserve a table for that night and he was told no. He got there and it was closed. He didn't ask the right question. Of course, in the real world common sense would have prevailed and the restaurant would have told him they were closed that night, but......

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, still kicking said:

I did ask the right question 

Because the hotel answered that there isn't a lift because there are only 2 stories, if I were you, I'd find another hotel. The photo of the place shows, to me, that there are 3 stories and not 2.