Tourist Takes Action For Being Slapped, Handcuffed By Pub Guard

webfact

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

If anyone 'pokes' you, bouncer, cop,  its an assault.

If the bouncer had asked nicely to pay for the water, this would not have happened?

yeah good luck getting compensated or having criminal charges for a poke. Wake up and come down to planet earth

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

So you’re ok with being slapped around a bit and handcuffed by an unauthorized (non police officer)? If you let me have your address ….? I promise not to leave any marks… ???? 

really let me guess another keyboard warrior who is threatening from behind computer screen????

Willing to bet, if i was to give you my address and time, you would not show up

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

was he DRUNK, I read 2 beers ordered for the girls, the barman/girl gave them the beers and water... no-one asked for the water, the "free" assumption was 100% correct, the barman/girl could have easily asked for payment or the water returned, before the drinks left the bar.

his words were in US you are given free water when you are heavily intoxicated. and he thought in Thailand is the same. So he was intoxicated enough? or did he think in Thailand they give away free bottled water for every 2 beers to be shared by 4 people?

Whatever made you think bar did not ask him to pay? and whatever made you think he did not refuse and did not act like an idiot?

Are you under the assumption, he politely refused, and then was just handcuffed because he was so pleasant and slapped because he was apologetic and offered to pay?

Edited by BestB
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, malibukid said:

plumbers are not looked down upon in America.  what planet are you living on?  what century.  last time i called a plumber it cost me $500.  they can easily make over 100k per year.  its obviously you have never lived in America.

In Australia plumbers are lionised and worshipped if theyre your mate or relatives. Otherwise we hate them because they're in short supply, and charge like wounded bulls.

I've a couple of mates at homewho are plumbers.. No good now.. I live in LOS, not Oz. Anybody know a good one here? ????????

57 minutes ago, BestB said:

really let me guess another keyboard warrior who is threatening from behind computer screen????

Willing to bet, if i was to give you my address and time, you would not show up

????. Whoosh! 
Guess again ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BestB said:

his words were in US you are given free water when you are heavily intoxicated. and he thought in Thailand is the same. So he was intoxicated enough? or did he think in Thailand they give away free bottled water for every 2 beers to be shared by 4 people?

Whatever made you think bar did not ask him to pay? and whatever made you think he did not refuse and did not act like an idiot?

Are you under the assumption, he politely refused, and then was just handcuffed because he was so pleasant and slapped because he was apologetic and offered to pay?

Whatever caused you to invent so many more assumptions than you accuse another of ..? ????‍♂️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

yeah good luck getting compensated or having criminal charges for a poke. Wake up and come down to planet earth

Laying a hand on someone is classed as assault. How about someone pokes your female companion.I assume you are talking from the seventh planet ..?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I am not suggesting anyone would get compensated, or get criminal charges pressed, in Thailand, What planet are you on?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mstevens said:

Whatever the outcome of this complaint, it's nice to see a foreigner standing up for themselves for a change and actually making an official complaint against a Thai in a case where on the surface it seems that one is warranted. All too often foreigners are walked over in Thailand, treated unfairly and do nothing when an official complaint really is warranted. Of course, in some cases the foreigner may have been partially in the wrong or exacerbated things but in this case it really sounds like the pub staff messed up.

It appears the pub owner is keen to settle so perhaps a confidential settlement will take place and the American will return to the States with some extra cash.

That sums it up … Drunk Yank claiming his  drink had a sex change and tried to Nick a bottle of water … Now he’s after a claim coz he spent his daddies money on ladyboys … He is walking funny but blames that on the pub Guard … Go home and don’t take your home rules and apply in Thailand … Maybe Brandon will pay his fine 5555

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I am not suggesting anyone would get compensated, or get criminal charges pressed, in Thailand, What planet are you on?

well he did file charges, which once again since you struggling was/is nothing but money making scam and it worked, he got 50 000

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Laying a hand on someone is classed as assault. How about someone pokes your female companion.I assume you are talking from the seventh planet ..?

what does female companion has to do with taking stuff for free and refusing to pay? Indeed what planet are you from

1 hour ago, NextG said:

To be fair, it’s you acting like a keyboard warrior. You are replying to someone who was clearly trying to inject some humour into the situation. It’s you who is turning it into something real in your head. 
As to your reply about bouncer violence, I ran a group of nightclubs. I know how bouncers should behave. All our guys were trained in the martial arts and used only restraining techniques to remove offenders from the premises. 
Ne’er a strike. 
So perhaps you shouldn’t be discussing matters of which you know nothing. 

There is no acting and nothing to inject. Guy was and is a destitute idiot who stole a bottle of water and refused to pay, then acted like an idiot and got slapped.

Then filles charges including the owner. Clearly a destitute out to make some money.

Police did not file any charges, because there was no damage or suffering.

Owner paid the destitute 50 000 as his legal fees would of been higher, personally i would not have paid and took it all the way to court, Also asking courts to forbid him leaving Thailand.

In the end, he would not have won anything because he was not bashed or hospitalised or even bled. Slap does nothing but wake up a drunk.

His lawyer could have argued false imprisonment, but considering the theft, it was not really  false one. was it?

His excuse he thought it was free like in US is utter nonsense, because

1. He has lived in Thailand and worked in Thailand (most likely worked illegally as well, at some point) so well aware it is not the US

2. Even assuming Thailand was the same, no one anywhere in the world provides bottled water but A glass of water

2. He could have paid instead of refusing to end up being handcuffed and slapped for refusing or behaving like an idiot

4. If he was genuinely upset about the slap, he would not have dragged in the owner, so once again, just a destitute hoping to make some money 

Sadly enough, plenty of idiots here seem to think it is an acceptable behavior 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Thailand is not the  USA. Things work differently here. Whatever you are doing in another country never forget that.

Yeah right tell that to Thai people abroad.....   you don't want to know how many times i have heared "This is how thai people are and how we do things....".   If they had given me a dollar for every time i would have been a millionair !!  What a joke. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BestB said:

Mate, there is NOTHING to indicate he was "intoxicated," you are simply making that up. AS for bar asking him to pay, .. mate again, you assume far too much, there was no mention of him being asked to pay, why do you make things up, simply to justify your rediculous comment.
As you know, this is Thailand, if you query anything you risk retaliation. You are simply anti non Thais, for whatever reason. The fact is, he has been compensated, do you really think if the Thais were in the right he would have been... lol.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BestB said:

well he did file charges, which once again since you struggling was/is nothing but money making scam and it worked, he got 50 000

It wasn't a scam. He got assaulted by a 'bouncer' he complained, quite rightly and he got a settlement of 50,000 baht. What are you struggling to understand?

I would say he was lucky in this case to get anything, but if you don't try you won't find out!

Good for him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BestB said:

There is no acting and nothing to inject. Guy was and is a destitute idiot who stole a bottle of water and refused to pay, then acted like an idiot and got slapped.

Then filles charges including the owner. Clearly a destitute out to make some money.

Police did not file any charges, because there was no damage or suffering.

Owner paid the destitute 50 000 as his legal fees would of been higher, personally i would not have paid and took it all the way to court, Also asking courts to forbid him leaving Thailand.

In the end, he would not have won anything because he was not bashed or hospitalised or even bled. Slap does nothing but wake up a drunk.

His lawyer could have argued false imprisonment, but considering the theft, it was not really  false one. was it?

His excuse he thought it was free like in US is utter nonsense, because

1. He has lived in Thailand and worked in Thailand (most likely worked illegally as well, at some point) so well aware it is not the US

2. Even assuming Thailand was the same, no one anywhere in the world provides bottled water but A glass of water

2. He could have paid instead of refusing to end up being handcuffed and slapped for refusing or behaving like an idiot

4. If he was genuinely upset about the slap, he would not have dragged in the owner, so once again, just a destitute hoping to make some money 

Sadly enough, plenty of idiots here seem to think it is an acceptable behavior 

Wow…. You appear to be of fragile mind at the moment. We should be kind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NORDO said:

So Sad USD/Euro/THB comes into play here.  Was there any real financial damage?

American...which Country, there are about 37 Countries in the Americas.

One does not get to apply their home laws in a Foreign land.

He made an error in judgement, the Thai Bouncer over reacted...common issue in LOFS.

Thai Lawyer is the only one to come-ahead here.

I would love to see how you reacted to being slapped around a bit , handcuffed and humiliated whilst on holiday in a foreign country. 

Stupid opinion!

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that in the US when a customer starts feeling intoxicated the pubs and bars immediately give them free water to drink and he thought this was the case in Thailand too.

Research Dude! Nothing is free in Thailand

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

What's the odds that the victim ends up in prison and/or sued for 'defamation' and forced to remain in Thailand for years while it goes through court?

None, as he came with a lawyer to the police station. And it is out on social media.

17 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Mr. Carhuff could had met the owner already, and received a unknown amount.

What's the point with prosecution of the owner and the guard?

Owner was early very apologetic, closed the Pub for few days, fired the security man who is now famous for all the wrong reasons.

Strongly doubt Mr. Carhuff will get any big Payday, bringing this to Court. 

It is a strong signal to the other pub owners of course.

22 hours ago, mikecha said:

Walk away leave it as it is   u will not win 

if u stay around after settlement they will find u and u will get probably a beating  

but no one will see and is this all worth it

or are u making out as a populist 

...and that is why foreigners should stand up and be heard when mistreated. 

17 hours ago, BestB said:

what does female companion has to do with taking stuff for free and refusing to pay? Indeed what planet are you from

Pick any planet,along with other comments you read they’re all going over your head. Have you managed to count to 7 yet….?

22 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

So, how MANY rules do you know... how MANY should a tourist know... just a reminder, "rules" in Thailand are made up every day.. eg the Red card.. not a law, just something a local official has made up, no standing in law, not guide given on what laws... you really need to THINK before posting.

I've lived & worked here 22 years already mate, I do think before I comment & its my comment in a public forum. Many tourists dont know rules or customs & dont care, but this guy had lived & work here. He did know. anyways, not having a debate about it. Job done & they gave him a small pay out to not look bad in social media. 

On 3/6/2023 at 5:35 AM, NORDO said:

So Sad USD/Euro/THB comes into play here.  Was there any real financial damage?

American...which Country, there are about 37 Countries in the Americas.

One does not get to apply their home laws in a Foreign land.

He made an error in judgement, the Thai Bouncer over reacted...common issue in LOFS.

Thai Lawyer is the only one to come-ahead here.

A perfect case of blaming the victim.