The hot season arrives: Thailand expected to be hotter this year than last, storms coming to NE first

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

The director of the Meteorological Office in Thailand has predicted that this year will be hotter than last with four northern provinces taking the brunt of the highs.

Chompharee Chomphurat declared that the cool season is now over as of last Saturday.

The hot season will last until mid-May, she "revealed" to Thai Rath yesterday.

Highs in Sukhothai, Tak, Lampang and Mae Hong Son will be 40-43 celcius.

Bangkok will have an average high temperature of 38-39 degrees.

During the changing of the seasons period between now and March 15th storms can be expected in the North, North East, Central and Eastern areas as cool air from China hits warmer air in Thailand.

Then from March 16th to April weather conditions will bring ever more widespread storms, high winds and hail with the NE first to be impacted followed by other regions.

Asked about expected rainfall this year the Met chief said that she expected it to be normal in the upper areas of the country and slightly higher in the south.

She expected some flooding in June and July and advised farmers to gather rainwater when they could and follow the Met's advisories.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

When did it become a competion?

I was stationed at Sharjah in 1970, before the US got a whiff of the oil.

Interesting.

Max Steineke discovered Saudi Arabia's first oil in 1938. He was an American but George Reynolds, and Englishman, is credited with the middle east's first oil discovery in Persia back in 1908.

But, as you say, it's not a competion (sic).

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Who would want to?

Saudi it is a dry heat and this is humid which sucks. I also lived in Ridgecrest California which in July gets up to 128F and is dry.

Edited by khwaibah

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I have been in 55C in Saudi Arabia. Beat that......

A few years ago it hit 50C in Asuncion, Paraguay. Fortunately, I was living two hours away. At the same time, in the Chaco, 60C was reported. Never been to the Chaco and neither do I want to!  

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

A few years ago it hit 50C in Asuncion, Paraguay. Fortunately, I was living two hours away. At the same time, in the Chaco, 60C was reported. Never been to the Chaco and neither do I want to!  

I worked for 16 months at McMurdo Station Antarctica saw temps as low as -80C.????

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Fancy that! They are predicting the hot season to be hot!

If the rains come early then the hot season will just be warm and wet like it has been in the previous few years.

warm & wet... perfect.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Max Steineke discovered Saudi Arabia's first oil in 1938. He was an American but George Reynolds, and Englishman, is credited with the middle east's first oil discovery in Persia back in 1908.

Sharjah, just so you know is a few miles outside Dubai, a shanty town at the time, there were no oil facilities. 

I was lucky, we only worked to mid day due to the heat and lived in accommodation with fans. Some army units a few miles inland were in tents with only small generators for power.

Temperature discomfort is a variable and related to availability of mod cons.

Great the whole country will be blanketed in pollution and unbreathable air a little longer this year..  Now you guys can sweat and choke a little longer.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1