Gender equality still ‘300 years away’, says UN secretary general

onthedarkside

image.png.e4d3d8c834d9b78ce927ab669f735f0f.png

Global progress on women’s rights is “vanishing before our eyes”, the secretary general of the UN, António Guterres, has warned, saying the increasingly distant goal of gender equality will take another three centuries to achieve.

“Gender equality is growing more distant. On the current track, UN Women puts it 300 years away,” Guterres said in a general assembly speech ahead of International Women’s Day on 8 March, as he launched two weeks of discussions led by the Commission on the Status of Women.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/mar/06/antonio-guterres-un-general-assembly-gender-equality

image.png.861893999795ccf1e08f2fbe7b52dfdc.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Always interesting to see how obsessed those on the extreme right are with transgenderism, an issue which affects only a very small percentage of the population

I'm not sure who these people on the extreme right are, but it was really interesting to hear that women are a small % of the population.

Who knew?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oddly you don’t mention something as fundamental as rightwing administrations stripping women of dominion over their own bodies.

Since you are being somewhat ambiguous, I will assume you are referring to abortion rights and not the rights of teenage girls to remove their own body parts.

Playing devil's advocate (since I am still somewhat torn on some of these abortion issues), one could argue that in 50% of cases they are protecting the rights of unborn women. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There can be no gender equality until all men and women are allowed to compete in the same sporting events.

You are over 57 years late.

In 1967 Beryl Burton (AKA Our Beryl) set a new UK 12 hour time trial record of 277.25 miles, beating the men’s record by 0.73 mikes. Beryl held the all comers record until a man finally passed her record in 1969.

Women have been competing against men in cycle races since the 1940s.

• Thanks 1

Just now, placeholder said:

The vast majority of women are not affected by transgenderism. It's laughable that you believe this is a serious problem. Especially when compared to the challenges and discrimination faced by women in most of the world.

When the leader of the opposition cannot even define a woman, yes it affects the vast majority of women. When they are labelled "people with vaginas" it affects them. 

As it does for any woman competing in sport, any woman who wants the right to change their clothes or go to the toilet without men around, to serve a sentence without male rapists around, to have their young daughters play sport ina fair and safe environment.

Stop minimizing misogyny.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

You are over 57 years late.

In 1967 Beryl Burton (AKA Our Beryl) set a new UK 12 hour time trial record of 277.25 miles, beating the men’s record by 0.73 mikes. Beryl held the all comers record until a man finally passed her record in 1969.

Women have been competing against men in cycle races since the 1940s.

The exception that proves the rule.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Since you are being somewhat ambiguous, I will assume you are referring to abortion rights and not the rights of teenage girls to remove their own body parts.

Playing devil's advocate (since I am still somewhat torn on some of these abortion issues), one could argue that in 50% of cases they are protecting the rights of unborn women. 

Yes one could. 

It’s a form of argument know as sophistry.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

When the leader of the opposition cannot even define a woman, yes it affects the vast majority of women. When they are labelled "people with vaginas" it affects them. 

As it does for any woman competing in sport, any woman who wants the right to change their clothes or go to the toilet without men around, to serve a sentence without male rapists around, to have their young daughters play sport ina fair and safe environment.

Stop minimizing misogyny.  

Such nonsense. Transgenderism works both ways. Are men being affected by it?  How does the uncertainty in definition affect the vast majority of women?

Yes, it's a problem in women's sports. But a big one? Are there lots of incidents of women being raped or attacked by transgenders.

Such a tiny problem compared to the huge challenges facing women around the world.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I raced alongside Beryl Burton, she was like all great athletes exceptional, something of a hero to me an very many other cyclists, male and female, and hence fondly referred to as ‘Our Beryl’.

But she was not the only female competing against men, women competing against men in cycling has been common place for decades.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Here's a few more exceptions:

Ultra running

Jasmin Paris finished the 268-mile Montane Spine Race, along the Pennine Way, Scotland in January 2019 in 83 hours and 12 minutes, breaking the record by 12 hours. And she was pumping breast milk for her baby all the while. The leading man finished in 98 hours.

Ultra-cycling

in July 2019 Fiona Kolbinger beat 200 men in the Transcontinental Race, cycling the 4,000 kilometres across Europe. She finished in 10 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes, leading the race from day 3, putting in 15-17 hours of cycling each day. The male runner-up, Ben Davies, finished 10 hours later.

https://allthingslists.com/sports-that-women-beat-men/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Such nonsense. Transgenderism works both ways. Are men being affected by it?  How does the uncertainty in definition affect the vast majority of women?

Yes, it's a problem in women's sports. But a big one? Are there lots of incidents of women being raped or attacked by transgenders.

Such a tiny problem compared to the huge challenges facing women around the world.

I doubt Lebron James is too concerned about women in basketball.

I doubt Tyson Fury is too worried about the next female heavyweight.

I doubt Ed Kemper was worried about being raped by a trans male.

So yes, it's a bigger problem for women than males. I would have thought that was obvious. That's why some men dismiss the issues as "such a tiny problem". A callous attitude towards the rights of women. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here's a few more exceptions:

Ultra running

Jasmin Paris finished the 268-mile Montane Spine Race, along the Pennine Way, Scotland in January 2019 in 83 hours and 12 minutes, breaking the record by 12 hours. And she was pumping breast milk for her baby all the while. The leading man finished in 98 hours.

Ultra-cycling

in July 2019 Fiona Kolbinger beat 200 men in the Transcontinental Race, cycling the 4,000 kilometres across Europe. She finished in 10 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes, leading the race from day 3, putting in 15-17 hours of cycling each day. The male runner-up, Ben Davies, finished 10 hours later.

https://allthingslists.com/sports-that-women-beat-men/

Yes, women competing against men at the top of their sports.

It’s common place.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

International Women’s Day on 8 March

For us at Stonewall, International Women's Day is an opportunity to hear from lesbians, bi women and trans people who have historically been silenced. When we use our voices to highlight these injustices, and in particular, when we do so alongside our trans siblings, we empower one another. Working together, we can celebrate all of our identities and tackle the discrimination that affects each of us.  

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/about-us/news/why-international-women’s-day-matters-lgbt-people

IWD 2023 theme Embrace Equality

Forging gender equity isn't limited to women solely fighting the good fight. Allies are incredibly important for the social, economic, cultural, and political advancement of women.

https://www.internationalwomensday.com/Theme

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I doubt Lebron James is too concerned about women in basketball.

I doubt Tyson Fury is too worried about the next female heavyweight.

I doubt Ed Kemper was worried about being raped by a trans male.

So yes, it's a bigger problem for women than males. I would have thought that was obvious. That's why some men dismiss the issues as "such a tiny problem". A callous attitude towards the rights of women. 

Violence against women is a huge problem. Violence against biological women by transgenders, not so much. Or do you have some sound statistics to show otherwise?

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What rights are those? 

I'm not sure if you are trying to be facetious, but it's not really the topic for jokes.

Pretty much every country in the world acknowledges the rights of an unborn child. The only area of contention is at what stage of pregnancy those rights come into force.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure if you are trying to be facetious, but it's not really the topic for jokes.

Pretty much every country in the world acknowledges the rights of an unborn child. The only area of contention is at what stage of pregnancy those rights come into force.

By calling the foetus an "unborn child" you're already giving away where you stand on the issue.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes, women competing against men at the top of their sports.

It’s common place.

It isn't common place at all.

Would you support opening up every sport to men and women?

Boxing, MMA, basketball, football, rugby etc?

Great way to destroy women's sport and the careers of female athletes. No wonder women's rights are eroding...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, placeholder said:

By calling the foetus an "unborn child" you're already giving away where you stand on the issue.

Since I am still undecided on many issues surrounding the subject, it would be very difficult for you to know where I stand. ???? 

Would you support removing a foetus/unborn child a couple of days before labour started and killing it? To protect the rights of the mother?