88% of Thailand bank accounts have less than 50,000 THB

webfact

Just now, nigelforbes said:

Just for comparison purposes:

"According to a survey by the Money and Pensions Service (MaPs), around a quarter of UK adults (11.5 million people) have less than £100 in their savings account, with one in six people having no savings at all". 

https://www.money.co.uk/savings-accounts/savings-statistics#:~:text=Overview%3A UK savings statistics 2023,1000%2C in a savings account.

• 78% of Americans have a savings account
  • Most Americans (22%) have $1,000 to $5,000 in savings
  • 51% of Americans have $5,000 or less in savings, while 35% have $1,000 or less

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/average-savings-account-balance/

I find different stats (from the FDIC). It's all so sad that so many people are financially illiterate.........

• An estimated 4.5 percent of U.S. households (approximately 5.9 million) were “unbanked” in 2021, meaning that no one in the household had a checking or savings account at a bank or credit union.

The median transaction account balance is $5,300, according to the Federal Reserve.

• The majority of U.S. households — 98 percent — have a transaction account, such as a savings account.
  • Singles and younger adults tend to have lower transaction account balances.
  • Less than half of U.S. households — about 4 in 10 — said they were able to cover an unexpected $1,000 expense, like a car repair or medical bill, in January 2022.
  • Meanwhile, 58 percent of adults surveyed in June 2022 said they were uneasy with their level of emergency savings.
  • Most American adults — about 76 percent — have not seen an increase in their emergency savings balance over the past year.
  • Slightly over half of U.S. adults have more emergency savings than they do credit card debt, as of January 2022.
  • Even though nearly 3 in 5 adults are contributing at least as much as they were the previous year to retirement savings, 55 percent still say they’re behind on their retirement savings.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I find different stats (from the FDIC). It's all so sad that so many people are financially illiterate.........

• An estimated 4.5 percent of U.S. households (approximately 5.9 million) were “unbanked” in 2021, meaning that no one in the household had a checking or savings account at a bank or credit union.

The median transaction account balance is $5,300, according to the Federal Reserve.

• The majority of U.S. households — 98 percent — have a transaction account, such as a savings account.
  • Singles and younger adults tend to have lower transaction account balances.
  • Less than half of U.S. households — about 4 in 10 — said they were able to cover an unexpected $1,000 expense, like a car repair or medical bill, in January 2022.
  • Meanwhile, 58 percent of adults surveyed in June 2022 said they were uneasy with their level of emergency savings.
  • Most American adults — about 76 percent — have not seen an increase in their emergency savings balance over the past year.
  • Slightly over half of U.S. adults have more emergency savings than they do credit card debt, as of January 2022.
  • Even though nearly 3 in 5 adults are contributing at least as much as they were the previous year to retirement savings, 55 percent still say they’re behind on their retirement savings.

Thanks. Did you have a point you wanted to make?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I think the headline is nothing more than an attention grab,

As are all headlines, especially most of the silly ones on AN. 

Do the mass readership or population really need to know what people have in the bank ?  That info is totally irrelevant to our everyday life.

That 60% of Yanks stating they couldn't rustle up $1000 is a bit of a concern....

...for them.   Oh  well, sucks being them.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

As are all headlines, especially most of the silly ones on AN. 

Do the mass readership or population really need to know what people have in the bank ?  That info is totally irrelevant to our everyday life.

I'm not sure about that. I think it's sometimes helpful, I think, to understand where your own position is relative to the population.

The Thai economy is on the verge of collapse.

Mark my words, 12 months from now they will be in dire straits.

Household debt is at an all time high and foreign investors have already begun pulling their assets out of the country. The writing is on the wall for Thailand, years of backward planning and frivolous spending is about to come to a head.

All those shiny new mercs and lavish lambos are about to be replaced with bog standard nissans and fords.

Let this be a lesson to you, Khun Thai: 

NEVER borrow what you cannot afford to pay back!

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm not sure about that. I think it's sometimes helpful, I think, to understand where your own position is relative to the population.

Why ?  Info like that is only to make you feel small or large, depending what side of the scale you're on, and not useful to either.

I'm apparently rich, as one member pointed out recently, though having enough simply seems like common sense.   I may have hit the 1% tax bracket a couple years, but rich, I don't think so, very far from it.   Rich is hitting the 5% bracket every year.  Rich is $1 mill & no debt.

Comfy is just more than enough & no debt.   Comfy is good.

F'd up is not being able to rustle up $1000 if needed.

I'm still poor enough, that I don't even have to file taxes ????????????????????????

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It is mind boggling, the financial ignorance and lack of financial preparedness of most people.   Every body seems to want 'now', on credit.   When mismanaged, means you'll never really have anything.

Only 2 financial rules to live by:

... don't borrow to buy something that depreciates

... if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it, wait until you can

Dinosaur thinking! 

Interest rates are lower than inflation so no point in saving. 

Money in your bank is depreciating money. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dinosaur thinking! 

True that cash is a depreciating asset currently but it is also a protected asset, unlike equities and bonds which are depreciating but not protected. And cash depreciates in line with the rate of inflation, equities can depreciate in the blink of an eye and be gone for ever.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

No, they are not.

No GDP model shows Consumer Debt as a component. Consumer expenditure and Consumption are elements, Government (Public) Debt is an element, private debt is not. 

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dinosaur thinking! 

I say that all the time, that's why I spend it, as it's worth more today, than tomorrow.   Oops & inheritance funds are there for that.

Anything else, Social Security & pension, gets spent, and thankfully, that's actually hard to do some times, since a Cheap A$$ Charlie/thrifty shopper.

Just waiting for rainy season and those O&As.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1