Travel demand fuels a boom in Asia Pacific — in hotel rates

webfact

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

by Monica Pitrelli

Finding a great hotel deal may be harder than ever before.

Hotel rates are at an “all-time high,” Alan Watts, Hilton’s Asia-Pacific president, told “Squawk Box Asia” on Thursday.

Rates are being fueled by travel demand that is like “a feast … to offset the famine,” he said, referencing the pandemic.

According to earnings reports, Hilton’s average daily rates increased by 8% in the fourth quarter of 2022, compared with the same period in 2019. Similarly, Marriott and IHG hiked prices by 13%, while Hyatt had a 14% daily rate increase.

It's more expensive to travel in Southeast Asia, especially in these four places

image.jpeg

WATCH NOW VIDEO 0 2:51

It’s more expensive to travel in Southeast Asia, especially in these 4 places (Bali, Bangkok, Phuket and Singapore)

That’s globally. In parts of Asia Pacific, hotel rates are climbing even higher.

Rates in Asia are skyrocketing

The travel boom in Asia Pacific has been “phenomenal,” said Watts.  

Data shows this is especially true in places where Chinese travelers are going.

Average hotel rates across Southeast Asia have gone up more than 10% since 2022, according to data from the travel booking company Traveloka.

But rates have climbed more than 45% in destinations that are attracting the most Chinese travelers, said the company’s chief strategy officer, Joydeep Chakraborty.

“The most significant increase was recorded in Bali, Bangkok, Phuket and Singapore, with Bangkok topping the charts at over 70% and Singapore coming in at over 40%,” he said.  

Full story: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/05/hotel-rooms-are-getting-more-expensive-in-thailand-singapore-and-japan.html

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright  CNBC 2023-03-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with my experience, the prices are higher and the service lower.

Recently I booked a hotel that used to have a shuttle service to the airport and now without mentioning no more.

With a kind of attitude it is your problem not ours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Long haul airfares are up 70 to 100% to most places too.  Incredible inflation.

Now the international media has to widely educate people that the air in Thailand,

everywhere, is highly toxic and nothing ever gets done about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, proton said:

What will the backpackers do? no more 200 baht a night hostels ????

I think this data is more about 5 star places. Quick to respond to demand...... not saying there will not be a trickle down to 4 star and onward. My usual Bolt Hole in Pattaya via Agoda is about where it was a month back. 

1 hour ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Afternoon,

70% Hotel cost up, Are certainly not because of Tourists demand in Thailand, There up because of dismal Tourist numbers !!  And TAT spewing there inaccurate Tourism numbers in hopes of stimulating more Tourism in Thailand ???? 

Nonsense! We've just returned from Hua Hin and Bangkok, high tourist volumes are evident everywhere. Where are you based, in the middle of nowhere!

• Like 2

Strange that Booking.com sent me two 5 star hotels @£23 and £25 a night , below  . That price is no boom , rather a reduction . So OK , not in the middle of Pattaya but not far

image.png.42d711f2b0cb8b19777ba5f1dab18bc9.png

They are comparing expensive hotels also. I used to pay $60 for Sofitel during the Pandemic and now I checked in agoda it shows $170. Jasmine city hotel $40 vs $70 now. A cheap hotel like Grand President (closed during the Pandemic) is around $50 which was around $50 in 2019. Bangkok offers a variety of decent hotels at a reasonable price, unlike singapore where low cost hotels are 18 sqm and most probably Geylang neighborhood. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

19 hours ago, BestB said:

but most importantly to note costs have also gone up, electric almost doubled , so unsure why anyone expects for rates to remain the same 

It is the same old hypocritical rhetoric.

Last year this forum was all  for the rise in minimum wage and now complaining about the knock on effect. Larger hotels have always had to follow wage rises, does not affect the smaller ones to the same extent.

A couple of years ago I went to my nephew's wedding in NE Scotland, an area that is highly dependent on tourism. I paid more for a B&B in Forres than I did in the Pattaya Holiday Inn a few weeks later, things should be kept in perspective.

Scotland justifies the high rates on the basis they only get tourists for part of the year, maybe Thailand plans to follow suit.

16 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I wouldn't call those 5 star, not by any means, one of them shows up at 885 baht per night!

Link please for the 885 baht per night . I have just been online to look at direct booking with the 2 hotels which have some promo . Hotel Alyara starts at 1650 , 1950 & 3500 baht a night .  Hotel Crystal Palace stars at 2500 , 3500 & 3800 bahta night .

5 minutes ago, superal said:

Link please for the 885 baht per night . I have just been online to look at direct booking with the 2 hotels which have some promo . Hotel Alyara starts at 1650 , 1950 & 3500 baht a night .  Hotel Crystal Palace stars at 2500 , 3500 & 3800 bahta night .

704696379_Screenshot(82).png.a2089def311538d0251b7e195688e21f.png

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, superal said:

Strange that Booking.com sent me two 5 star hotels @£23 and £25 a night , below  . That price is no boom , rather a reduction . So OK , not in the middle of Pattaya but not far

image.png.42d711f2b0cb8b19777ba5f1dab18bc9.png

I think they would be happy to describe themselves as 4*. 

57 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Correct, gouging in the extreme - what demands,  tourist numbers are down - so it's all bull$hit. 

Some sense spoken at last, you're correct.

Tourist numbers are down, and yet they boast of demand for rooms?

BS

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Correct, gouging in the extreme - what demands,  tourist numbers are down - so it's all bull$hit. 

If the demand isn’t there how are they able to get those prices?  -otherwise their hotel would be empty. You may want to inform yourself of the many more Russians (1 million reported fleeing the country ) widely reported filling major Thai (and other) tourist resorts- it’s not difficult. I’m afraid the only bull ???? is your economic understanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time to cut right down on international travel unless you're very well-off. Singapore, pre covid was $100 for a clean hotel. Got back yesterday after a month in Europe, and the Singapore hotels were $180 and $300 each. Both excellent. (Wanderlust and Owens House). The $100 hotels come with dirt, cockroaches, an old sock and ants. Disgusting! Singapore: the worlds biggest con.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

Disgusting! Singapore: the worlds biggest con.

There is a big difference between cheap and nice hotels in Singapore..... the price very much so, along with the quality. I always just pay and suck it up....