The Tennessee House Just Passed a Bill Completely Gutting Marriage Equality

onthedarkside

image.png.73b4af8e1d9068c1b0350aa0b29bbccc.png

The Tennessee House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow people to refuse to perform a marriage if they disagree with it.

According to the bill, which passed Monday night, “a person shall not be required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person’s conscience or religious beliefs.”

The bill, which now moves to the state Senate, is the latest in an onslaught of measures that the Tennessee legislature has passed attacking LGBTQ rights, this bill could also apply to couples where at least one partner is transgender, or to mixed race couples.

https://newrepublic.com/post/171025/tennessee-house-bill-gutting-marriage-equality

image.png.d173dc8181f622402416ed091753f10c.png

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Credo said:

Now if they stop marrying mixed race couples they will have set things back 100 years.  

All as well in Tennessee as long as you can marry your cousin, though.

Next they will reinstate segregation and ensure people stay where they should based on the color of skin, reduce voting to whites only and only males....What the Hell is happening to the US. The woke movement, the defund the police, the wanting to increase SS retirement age, and so on and so on.  Freedom of religion, freedoms found in the constitution and more are being trampled by self centered moralistic idiots it appears. No need to wait for a war to destroy the US they are doing it themselves.  I have many friends who retired to Tennessee years ago and are now wishing they had moved to Montana instead.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Next they will reinstate segregation ....

Don't have too, some minority folks are doing that themselves.   When they do it, it's to protect or promote their culture.   If anyone else does it, for non racist reason, it's racism. 

Ex; all black this or that, actually too many to list or all female, but you can't have an all white or all male anything.

Ex: school districts forced to accept people outside their district that don't pay the school taxes of that district.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Progress for the attack on the LGBTQ rights.

"The Human Rights Campaign slammed Tennessee’s ongoing “obsession with anti-LGBTQ+ legislation.”

Or protection of individual 'Christian' values, for lack of a better word.  

It's within federal law, and the state's right, people of, to vote on the way they want to live.   That's a Republic.   

I certainly don't agree with all the different state laws, and why one needs to chose wisely when living in or moving to any state.

Didn't pass the Senate yet, but from living in TN, I'm pretty sure it will.

As always, the door swings both ways, nobody is forced to live anywhere.  Accept, change or move.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Credo said:

All as well in Tennessee as long as you can marry your cousin, though.

And she is at least 14.

The Respect for Marriage Act does not require that States issue Marriage Licenses, only that they honor them if issued in other States.

The whole Solemnizing thing is confusing as that is done by a recognized religious official. Evidently though, now any state/local official in Tennessee can still deny a marriage license if they don't like the "look" of either person.

Not sure how big a deal this is really? I mean which couple is going to want to force a religious official to marry them? I would assume there will not be a problem finding someone to solemnize the marriage. Getting a Marriage License might be hit or miss though.

Marriage - As introduced, states that a person is not required to solemnize a marriage if the person has an objection to solemnizing the marriage based on the person's conscience or religious beliefs. - Amends TCA Title 4; Title 29 and Title 36.

https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0878

It is interesting that interracial marriage, among a biological male and a biological female of different colors could be objected to on "religious grounds"? But then slavery was defended on "religious grounds" so who knows.

We're becoming more of a Religious Theocracy every day. Who says Iran is a bad example?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Good.

Forcing people, private citizens, to do things they don't believe in is wrong.

Different if a government employee/JP, though TBH, mixed thoughts on that.  Although you did swear an oath, so, comes with the job.

Just read fine print, does exclude government employees also.   Mixed thoughts on that, though doesn't violate federal law.

The good & bad of a Republic, choose your state wisely ????

Tennessee law already says that religious leaders do not have to officiate weddings they object to. Critics say the new bill goes beyond that and would empower county clerks to refuse to certify marriage licenses, meaning that LGBTQ, interfaith, or interracial couples could be unable to get married at all, rather than just needing to find a new officiant for their ceremony.

If it was the way you said i could agree with it that is how it goes in the Netherlands. But now we are talking about country clerks. Those are government officials.

• Like 1

Strange title. This doesn't gut marriage equality as it could equally be applied to a biological male marrying a biological female.

Nobody should be forced to do something that is against their beliefs. Just like nobody should be forced to use Pronouns that they believe to be factually incorrect. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Or protection of individual 'Christian' values, for lack of a better word.  

It's within federal law, and the state's right, people of, to vote on the way they want to live.   That's a Republic.   

I certainly don't agree with all the different state laws, and why one needs to chose wisely when living in or moving to any state.

Didn't pass the Senate yet, but from living in TN, I'm pretty sure it will.

As always, the door swings both ways, nobody is forced to live anywhere.  Accept, change or move.

Christian values....lol, well as if that's not bad enough, read it again, it also includes even if you don't agree with it, framed as "person’s conscience"

Remind me, who voted for this again, was it the people of the state or people like this?

Anti-LGBTQ Tennessee Lt. Gov. McNally Comments On Racy Instagram Pics of Young Gay Male

Enter Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, who it turns out has been openly leaving heart emojis and other encouraging comments under very racy pics on the instagram page of a young gay male aspiring performer named Franklyn McClur, who grew up in Knoxville – McNally is from Oak Ridge, but represents parts of Knoxville, where he lives with his wife Janice. They have 2 adult daughters. Mcnally is Roman Catholic.

https://tnholler.com/2023/03/anti-lgbtq-tennessee-lt-gov-mcnally-comments-on-racy-instagram-pics-of-young-gay-male/

Screen-Shot-2023-03-08-at-2.52.20-PM-300x149.png

Certainly not people who have mixed raced marriages or intended to, gay's be that male or female let alone LGBTQ community. But yes as you say they could up and leave the state, their home. Fits in well with the Michael Knowles Transgenderism Must Be ‘Eradicated’ rhetoric except this now includes interracial marriage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Christian values....lol, well as if that's not bad enough, read it again, it also includes even if you don't agree with it, framed as "person’s conscience"

Remind me, who voted for this again, was it the people of the state or people like this?

Anti-LGBTQ Tennessee Lt. Gov. McNally Comments On Racy Instagram Pics of Young Gay Male

Enter Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, who it turns out has been openly leaving heart emojis and other encouraging comments under very racy pics on the instagram page of a young gay male aspiring performer named Franklyn McClur, who grew up in Knoxville – McNally is from Oak Ridge, but represents parts of Knoxville, where he lives with his wife Janice. They have 2 adult daughters. Mcnally is Roman Catholic.

https://tnholler.com/2023/03/anti-lgbtq-tennessee-lt-gov-mcnally-comments-on-racy-instagram-pics-of-young-gay-male/

Screen-Shot-2023-03-08-at-2.52.20-PM-300x149.png

Certainly not people who have mixed raced marriages or intended to, gay's be that male or female let alone LGBTQ community. But yes as you say they could up and leave the state, their home. Fits in well with the Michael Knowles Transgenderism Must Be ‘Eradicated’ rhetoric except this now includes interracial marriage.

Gov, House & Senate .... all elected, so yes, the people voted for it.

Next time, know who you are voting for ... som naa na

Accept change or move ... UP2U

I personally couldn't accept the direction of the USA, knew I couldn't change it, so I chose the latter.   You always have a choice.   Failure to exercise that choice, well, that's your problem.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Gov, House & Senate .... all elected, so yes, the people voted for it.

Next time, know who you are voting for ... som naa na

Accept change or move ... UP2U

I personally couldn't accept the direction of the USA, knew I couldn't change it, so I chose the latter.   You always have a choice.   Failure to exercise that choice, well, that's your problem.

Rubbish, prove it, those people did not vote for this bill, this was voted for by the officials, not the groups I mentioned.

Same as this............

Republican lawmakers and Tennessee’s governor signed off Thursday on cutting Democratic-leaning Nashville’s metro council in half.

“This attack on the Constitutional rights of Metro and the people who live here is very dangerous. It serves the interests of no one,” said Wally Dietz, Nashville’s law director.

To date, a quarter of the council’s seats are held by Black members, half are held by women and five identify as LGBTQ.

https://apnews.com/article/nashville-council-half-tennessee-republican-lawmakers-e5c38e8b624058adbef7861740a6962b

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Rubbish, prove it, those people did not vote for this bill, this was voted for by the officials, not the groups I mentioned.

Same as this............

Republican lawmakers and Tennessee’s governor signed off Thursday on cutting Democratic-leaning Nashville’s metro council in half.

“This attack on the Constitutional rights of Metro and the people who live here is very dangerous. It serves the interests of no one,” said Wally Dietz, Nashville’s law director.

To date, a quarter of the council’s seats are held by Black members, half are held by women and five identify as LGBTQ.

https://apnews.com/article/nashville-council-half-tennessee-republican-lawmakers-e5c38e8b624058adbef7861740a6962b

It's called a democracy, majority rules.  Apparently, your groups are not voting for the right people, caring about their interest.   Oh well, better luck the next state they live in.

Live with your ELECTED officials decisions, or change them, or MOVE.  Not rocket science.   Crying about it doesn't do anything.

Nothing really to discuss, they got elected by the voters, they passed law in their chamber, deal with it.   May want to write your Senator, before he/she/it votes.

Have a nice day, PEACE OUT

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's called a democracy, majority rules.  Apparently, your groups are not voting for the right people, caring about their interest.   Oh well, better luck the next state they live in.

Live with your ELECTED officials decisions, or change them, or MOVE.  Not rocket science.   Crying about it doesn't do anything.

Have a nice day, PEACE OUT

Well at least an admission you were being dishonest saying they voted for it despite you still trying to justify this discriminatory bill aimed at interracial marriage and the LGBTQ

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well at least an admission you were being dishonest saying they voted for it despite you still trying to justify this discriminatory bill aimed at interracial marriage and the LGBTG

They voted for their representatives in govt, that wrote and voted on the bill.  If they didn't vote during the election, or voted for the wrong person, well then that their problem also.

Do you know how the TN, USA govt operates.   If so, you wouldn't be repeating the same spiel.  They're ELECTED.

Repeating your spiel, doesn't change the reality of democracy.

PEACE OUT

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They voted for their representatives. om govt, that wrote and voted on the bill.  If they didn't vote during the election, or voted for the wrong person, well then that their problem also.

Do you know how the TN, USA govt operates.   If so, you wouldn't be repeating the same spiel.  They're ELECTED.

Repeating your spiel, doesn't change the reality of democracy.

PEACE OUT

Who's arguing with democracy, the argument is with peoples rights being violated. You ignore that fact.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Forcing people, private citizens, to do things they don't believe in is wrong.

I don't believe in driving on the right side of the road, I do not believe red means stop. I don't not believe that I cannot punch you in the face if I disagree with you. Why in God's name is the state forcing me to do these things I do not believe in? 

Edited by mikebike
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Who's arguing with democracy, the argument is with peoples rights being violated. You ignore that fact.

Nobodies rights are being violated, as it's against the Constitution & Federal Law to do so.

Again, you may need to enlighten yourself with the Constitution & Federal Law.  Instead of reading Op-Eds.

Just now, KhunLA said:

Nobodies rights are being violated, as it's against the Constitution & Federal Law to do so.

Again, you may need to enlighten yourself with the Constitution & Federal Law.  Instead of reading Op-Eds.

“This attack on the Constitutional rights of Metro and the people who live here is very dangerous. It serves the interests of no one,”

"The Human Rights Campaign slammed Tennessee’s ongoing “obsession with anti-LGBTQ+ legislation.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Self interest group expressing 'their' opinion, not law.  The courts will decide that, if the bill passes, and if challenged.  A beautiful democracy.   Until then.

Have a nice day 

Self interest groups are big business, nothing else:

Revenue (2020)
$44.6 million
Expenses (2020) $43.6 million

image.png.16f026d1f69683b5eff97a4d199fe6e0.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Self interest group expressing 'their' opinion, not law.  The courts will decide that, if the bill passes, and if challenged.  A beautiful democracy.   Until then.

Have a nice day 

Self interest groups are big business, nothing else:

Revenue (2020)
$44.6 million
Expenses (2020) $43.6 million

image.png.16f026d1f69683b5eff97a4d199fe6e0.png

Why does not surprise me that you missed out my other quote from a law director.

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why does not surprise me that you missed out my other quote from a law director.

Didn't miss anything, I just don't care or agree with your argument.

They are opinions  The only opinions that matter, will be the Supreme Court's, if passed and if challenged.

Until then .... Have a nice day

HINT:  have a nice day = done with discussion

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

Didn't miss anything, I just don't care or agree with your argument.

The are opinions  The only opinions that matter, will be the Supreme Court, if passed and if challenged.

Until then .... Have a nice day

HINT:  have a nice day = done with discussion

Yet you were the one that responded to stand alone post I made and then continually argued against the facts I presented. Amazing

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

there is a clear and distinguished trend on the type of and narrative many of these threads show. rarely are there controversial articles targeting responses for the other side. 

maybe tennessee should of elected better governing officials.

They seem to get reported & deleted, so most of us don't bother.