Unwanted Calls

KannikaP

On 3/10/2023 at 11:05 AM, KannikaP said:
On 3/10/2023 at 11:02 AM, markclover said:

Don't take calls from unknown numbers maybe.

But you never know if it IS an important call until you DO answer it.

Important calls rarely come unexpectedly on unknown (local?) numbers.  If the call is that important the caller will text to ask you to pick up, if they don't, it's not important.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Wasting ones time shouting at them is just that, a complete waste of time. Call centre operatives are used to that and just shrug it off and move on the the next number.

Then they call back later anyway hoping they get you in a more receptive mood!  

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Important calls rarely come unexpectedly on unknown (local?) numbers.  If the call is that important the caller will text to ask you to pick up, if they don't, it's not important.

My phone tells me that I have missed a call from such-a-number, so I must call back to see if it was important.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My phone tells me that I have missed a call from such-a-number, so I must call back to see if it was important.

No, that's your decision to call back an unknown number, there's no "must" about it.  If you're not expecting it then a call from a stranger without any follow-up explanatory text, by definition, was not that important.   How many of those unsolicited and unexpected calls that you called back to turned out to be important?

Edit:  Yeah, yeah, I know, most if not all of them.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But all those calls are expected, the OP is referring to unsolicited calls which are not.

So what do I do when I expect a delivery, maybe something that I ordered from China a week ago. I expect that that will arrive, and I hope the tracking information are reasonable accurate. But in real life that one order could arrive about anytime between a week up to about a month later. In that time I expect a call. Or more than one call when I ordered multiple items from multiple suppliers...

In reality for me, I receive in average maybe one sales call a week. No problem if I waste 5 seconds on that and tell them I am not interested. 

On 3/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, KannikaP said:

I shall not block yet, so that next time they call I can let them go through all their spiel, and then tell them to 4.ck off.   555

That could be fun.  See how long you can keep them on the line.

Be interested, ask many questions.  Be dense.  Don't understand.  Ask for clarification.  Misunderstand.  Be confused.  Be polite but dumb as a rock.

When they start to get exasperated and want to end the call, casually mention that you lost your job and your credit cards have been cancelled due to non-payment, but it wasn't your fault, so you could really really really use a loan or credit line.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But all those calls are expected, the OP is referring to unsolicited calls which are not.

So what do I do when I expect a delivery,

"...the OP is referring to unsolicited calls..."

We're talking about unexpected calls from unknown numbers, why should a call from an expected delivery be an issue?

Just answering in English, perhaps using complex sentences and vocabulary might help.

Or you could mention that you're busy now, asking for the caller's private number so that you can call back later. If they reply that they'd rather not give out their private number for people to call them, say: "Now you know how I feel...", and hang up.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Wasting ones time shouting at them is just that, a complete waste of time. Call centre operatives are used to that and just shrug it off and move on the the next number.

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, I don't know whether that's true or not although I doubt it. But if you block the number straight away they can't can they.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:
54 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, I don't know whether that's true or not although I doubt it. But if you block the number straight away they can't can they.

They do, that's their job...if, as you say, they're not blocked.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the OP is referring to unsolicited calls..."

We're talking about unexpected calls from unknown numbers, why should a call from an expected delivery be an issue?

Delivery guys use their mobile phones to make calls when they deliver items. I often "wait" simultaneously for multiple deliveries. That means at any time there might be calls from unknown numbers which I want to receive from the delivery guys. Like: I am downstairs with your parcel. 

So any call from an unknown number can be a wanted call or an unwanted call. And the only way to find out is to pick up the phone and listen.