Songthaeo from Pattaya to Jomtien

thecyclist

31 minutes ago, tanner said:

10 baht for all the cheap Charlie's but 20 baht is reasonable and decent, I remember the 5 baht fare and the cheapos moaned then when others paid 10, tight barstewards !.

I thought may be wrong the 5 baht was for thai people or students 

Depends where you get in and out. 10 Baht is normal, for a ride up to the end (Na Jomtien after Pu Pen) they demand 20 Baht although they should only ask for 10 as well. Where is the problem ? No idea when you come from far from the west - same principle I suppose. 20 Baht max. Quite cheap I would say.

It is with everything the same. In 1975 I rented a beach hut for 12 Baht/night at Chaweng and the Songtaew from Bangkok City to the Crocodile Farm was 2 Baht.

Long time it was 5 Baht. Then they introduced 10 Baht. Then came 10 and 20 Baht depending on the distance. But this was too complicated and so it is 10 Baht again.

I have been living here many years but without knowing it because I know the main bus routes I would still guess which bus to take. It seems to be impossible for them to clearly write on them on which route they operate. Perhaps they did this in the meantime? I don't look anymore after all these years. 

What I don't like are busses waiting for customers. It is against the law. But they do it and they always find people sitting there and waiting until it is full. Amazing. I always walk some meters down the road and stop a bus. And then the people standing on the platform. It is against the law too. But did they ever imagine what will happen if a car doesn't stop and crashes into the back of the bus? It happened already years ago in Jomtien. They didn't walk away afterwards...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

But did they ever imagine what will happen if a car doesn't stop and crashes into the back of the bus? It happened already years ago in Jomtien. They didn't walk away afterwards...

Some years ago I recall a guy fell from the back of a songtaew while standing on the back platform and he died.....yet another dangerous thing we see in Thailand multiple times per day. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Some years ago I recall a guy fell from the back of a songtaew while standing on the back platform and he died.....yet another dangerous thing we see in Thailand multiple times per day. 

Not anymore dangerous, than sitting inside IMO.

16 hours ago, jesimps said:

Going from Jomien, I used to pay 10 baht to the traffic lights at the crossroads between 2nd Road and Pattaya Nua and 20 baht if I was going further along 2nd Road.

Yes that's correct could go all along 2nd road now pay again after the lights .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I know of one, too. He did not die but was severely injured. As well many years ago.

In any case more safe than falling from the fully loaded roof of a fully loaded Indian train (or hanging from the side, or riding in between the wagons......).

Edited by moogradod

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

I know of one, too. He did not die but was severely injured. As well many years ago.

In any case more safe than falling from the fully loaded roof of a fully loaded Indian train (or hanging from the side, or riding in between the wagons......).

Yes baht bus fatalities are very rare.

There have been a few crashes over the years too.

You can choose to not stand on the back.

In my view other than back standing, the risk is in the drivers taking off quickly before people are seated after boarding. 

Compare to the risks of riding bikes, and it isn't even close.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not anymore dangerous, than sitting inside IMO.

I think that is rather a silly thing to say...sitting inside one is somewhat protected by the cage,,,, not much chance of falling  if he accelerates a bit sharp, or having both ankles smashed up if something rams into the back... which seems to be happening every other day... always have this idea of one losing grip if standing on the back step, and ending up under a following cement mixer!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I bet I have ridden standing at least 1,000 times and not a scratch on me....I have never seen anyone fall off in the last 20 years.....Not one....

It is a stupid thing to do just a few times! 

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/30/27-year-old-chinese-tourist-falls-off-baht-bus-while-reportedly-joking-around-in-critical-condition/

I have never seen anyone get shot... must never happen eh!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not correct.

The fare is 10 baht all the way to North Road.

But if you want to pay double, by all means do so. 

I have done this loads of times and found them to be very accepting of it. 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Not if you board in Jomtien.... .certain to get the evil eye.

Hardly. 

The fare is 10 baht. 

The urban myth that it doubles at this light or that light is invented by f-rangs.

Quite rarely, you will get a driver saying things like that, but it's rare.

If a time comes that a significant percentage of drivers object, then and only then would I change my advice. 

That said if you've been on a very long ride as the only passenger, the fare is still 10 baht but I suggest a situational response in such cases to pay 20. 

• Haha 2