DBD sees food trucks as a plus for tourism

webfact

All throughout Pattaya, the little Doner sandwich carts are fantastic.  As are the little Burger stands.  But I hope they don't shut out too many small Mom and Pop eateries.  It is good to sit down. But I have seen Pattaya landlords or companies asking crazy high rent amounts and many small shops just can't afford that.  Sad to see

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Do these trucks have toilets/hand-washing facilities for the 'chef'?

No, they have no water in them at all - they can't wash utensils, they can't boil anything, they can't make anything that requires water in the recipe. Well done you!

40 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

What makes you think all restaurant workers practice safe sanitation?  A lot of unthinkable things go on behind closed doors that you don't see even in developed countries.

Developed countries? I've been in NYC for more then 20 years, and let me tell you, I almost never buy anything from street food vendors. One time, I saw this hot dog guy taking a leak in a bottle, and then just sticking it in his food cart without washing his hands or anything. And another time, I saw a different vendor washing his dirty feet in the lower compartment where they keep the ice for the drinks. Plus, some of these guys hardly ever clean the hotplate where they cook the food, which is like right next to where they put it on the bun or whatever. 

9 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

Developed countries? I've been in NYC for more then 20 years, and let me tell you, I almost never buy anything from street food vendors. One time, I saw this hot dog guy taking a leak in a bottle, and then just sticking it in his food cart without washing his hands or anything. And another time, I saw a different vendor washing his dirty feet in the lower compartment where they keep the ice for the drinks. Plus, some of these guys hardly ever clean the hotplate where they cook the food, which is like right next to where they put it on the bun or whatever. 

How gross!  On my first trip to Thailand 21 years ago I stayed at a serviced apartment in Khlong San.  I often ate dinner at street food vendor a block away.  He was super clean.  Dishes and utensils were washed and then rinsed with boiling water.  He had a separate stove only for boiling water.  Most ingredients were precut and stored in containers or plastic bags.  In the back of his pickup truck were lots of water containers.

His menu was posted on a chalkboard, but since I cannot speak or read Thai I would let him pick a dish for me.  My only request was "mai pet." 

My point is, I could observe the whole operation, unlike a restaurant where you never know what goes on in the kitchen.

Never got sick in the few years that I ate there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

What makes you think all restaurant workers practice safe sanitation?  A lot of unthinkable things go on behind closed doors that you don't see even in developed countries.

How dare you suggest such a devious reality.......especially throughout the much superior and civilised West. 

????

15 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

All throughout Pattaya, the little Doner sandwich carts are fantastic.  As are the little Burger stands.  But I hope they don't shut out too many small Mom and Pop eateries.  It is good to sit down. But I have seen Pattaya landlords or companies asking crazy high rent amounts and many small shops just can't afford that.  Sad to see

one more for a fatty liver and diabetes please 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

No, they have no water in them at all - they can't wash utensils, they can't boil anything, they can't make anything that requires water in the recipe. Well done you!

Don't they fill a plastic 5 liter water container from the barrel before leaving home to bring with them?

23 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Well that's OK then.  Marinade meat in CO for 6 hours in temperatures of 30+, served by a 'chef' who's just peed in a bottle, surrounded by wild dogs who view each customer as a rival for the free meat.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:43 AM, mikebell said:

Do these trucks have toilets/hand-washing facilities for the 'chef'?

Why invest in fancy toilets/handwashing facilities, when sewage water is freely available in every street? The photo and article is NOT from Thailand but from Malaysia, but who hasn't seen something similar in Thailand.

Malaysian restaurant caught out washing plates in a puddle on the street -  NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/malaysian-restaurant-caught-out-washing-plates-in-a-puddle-on-the-street/332PFP25C3AEQEJSBIQXBO4TBE/

I get plenty of food from carts, followed by mom and pop small Thai restaurants.

Does the cook look healthy? Good indicator of hygiene. Is the cooking done out front where you can watch? Too much disagreeable goes on behind closed doors.

I don't go to that famous US chicken outfit. Food poisoning was a 50-50 proposition.

I don't get sick from street food.