UK to design nuclear-powered submarines for Aukus 'historic' pact

Social Media

9 hours ago, Slip said:

Colonisation?

No, it's recognising the very real threat that China poses to that area of the world.

Somewhat significant that NZ is not included. That must be a first since the Boer war that NZ is not joining Australia. Seems the ANZAC spirit is well and truly buried.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Somewhat significant that NZ is not included

I think NZ didn't want to be a part of it because of the PM's ban on nuclear subs in their ports.

So if war ever breaks out does that mean NZ won't require anyone to assist as they don't want any subs to help.?

image.png.5bfd16d788a253f061b866025fb7bfa6.png

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I think NZ didn't want to be a part of it because of the PM's ban on nuclear subs in their ports.

So if war ever breaks out does that mean NZ won't require anyone to assist as they don't want any subs to help.?

image.png.5bfd16d788a253f061b866025fb7bfa6.png

You could be right!

Seems to me NZ's only recourse to an invasion by China will be to put up "welcome China" signs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I doubt they need expensive submarines. That could be one reason.

I'm not saying NZ should have it's own subs, but IMO NZ sailors should be training on the subs so that at least NZ can claim to be contributing to NZ's defense. Otherwise, far as I can see, NZ has no viable defense if Australia/ US decides not to protect NZ because NZ does nothing to defend itself.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Great news.

This is a sure sign that an independent Britain can still be a major player on the world stage, despite what the brexit doomsayers like to tell us. It will create more jobs in Barrow and Derby as well as give a long term economic boost. 

These benefits are in addition to shoring up defences in the Pacific region and letting China know they're not going to have it easy. 

Ok the French are not happy, but c'est la vie...

"Can still be.." "....despite..." well, It's not all bad then! 

Edited by candide

21 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The U.K , USA and Australia all joining together 

What is the common denominator for that unification ?

My guess is Simon Cowell.  Doubtful it is only these 3 nations that got the balls to oppose China expansion in the Indo-Pacific region.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

On 3/14/2023 at 7:23 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The U.K , USA and Australia all joining together 

What is the common denominator for that unification ?

Just for starters, allies in WW1 and WW2, democracy and language.

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Great news.

This is a sure sign that an independent Britain can still be a major player on the world stage, despite what the brexit doomsayers like to tell us. It will create more jobs in Barrow and Derby as well as give a long term economic boost. 

These benefits are in addition to shoring up defences in the Pacific region and letting China know they're not going to have it easy.

My 19yr old son was offered an apprenticeship in the nuclear propulsion arm of the MOD. Unfortunately he could not join it due to his dual UK/Thai citizenship. He's since been doing something else also involved in defence. Proud of him in his work.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

My 19yr old son was offered an apprenticeship in the nuclear propulsion arm of the MOD. Unfortunately he could not join it due to his dual UK/Thai citizenship. He's since been doing something else also involved in defence. Proud of him in his work.

i really hope he excels and goes along way in his work. At 19yrs .. they are the best yrs.  good on him.

• Thanks 1