Songkran starter pack.

blueCloud888

I'm a frequent traveler to Thailand but it'll be my first Songkran. Well, maybe. I'm an old guy and don't enjoy rowdy stuff anymore. When does action really start an end? How much are airports and plane schedules disrupted? Finally where would you recommend i should stay in Thailand during that period?

Where do you want to stay ??...

Beach / Mountains ? busy area’s etc... whats the purpose of your visit.

In main tourist areas Songkran can get chaotic and difficult to avoid... even if wanting to go out for dinner in the evening, some pished up fool with think its a good idea to target the dry person.

Whereas in areas such as Bangkok Songkran is either full on or, or can be easily avoided even when out and about.

Songkran also occurs on different days... In Bangkok its on the 13th and 13th only.

In other areas its on different dates and can last a week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where do you want to stay ??...

Beach / Mountains ? busy area’s etc... whats the purpose of your visit.

In main tourist areas Songkran can get chaotic and difficult to avoid... even if wanting to go out for dinner in the evening, some pished up fool with think its a good idea to target the dry person.

Whereas in areas such as Bangkok Songkran is either full on or, or can be easily avoided even when out and about.

Songkran also occurs on different days... In Bangkok its on the 13th and 13th only.

In other areas its on different dates and can last a week. 

In Pattaya it starts on 13th (in sympathy with Bangkok) and goes on to 21st or 22nd as you get out towards Sattahip. I think the main day is 18th or 19th. Can't remember because I only joined in on my first year here out of the sixteen. I personally get stocked up with scotch and stay in as much as possible on those dates. If I have to go out at all, I try to make sure its early morning or after dark.

I'm a old man and I love Songkan, absolute best time to be in Bangkok.

I doubt there will be any flight disruptions. 

In Bangkok it's April 13, 14 & 15 and the absolute best place to stay for the holiday is Novotel Siam Square. 

This will be a breakout year it will be packed with worldwide arrivals with airports jammed traffic everywhere. 

I personally will be leaving the country prior as I hate everything about it. If I was here I would rent a small farm in the middle of nowhere for a few weeks.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 2

Yeah I remember a few years ago,I remained in my house in Pattaya all day and when it was dark and after the water chucking was supposed to end decided to go out for some food and a beer, stepped into Khaotalo and yes got a bucket of water thrown over me by drunk Thais on the back of a truck. Basically no time is safe to walk in the main drags during Songkran, they want to get a person in dry clean clothes they will.