Thai mobile number for OTP - open from overseas

Any ideas here?       I've been stuck outside of Thailand since covid border closures and due to work and family issues I have no idea when I can next travel back to Thailand.  In the meantime, my Thai phone number expired, but I still have financial accounts active in Thailand that both me and my wife use.   Unfortunately, Thailand in it's childishness now has every organization insisting on using OTP verification to access accounts online.  Previously passwords were used without any issues to access accounts but now without asking us, we are now told this is not good enough.   This is the problem as I can no longer access accounts!!!!!!

I tried using friends and my wife's mother for the mobile phone number OTP, but this is getting very tedious and painful due to the login wanting OTPs every single time and it's annoying having to always ask someone, even when they are busy.  

Is there any site available where I can get a virtual thai mobile number to receive OTPs ?   I already tried a few free services, but none of their numbers seem to work.   

What can I do?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

If you have the providers app on your phone try using it to chat with their customer support and see if they can re-activate your number and turn on international roaming.  You ought to be able to add credit easily through the app (if it's anything like True).  They will have your passport info on file and may we be willing/able to help, I recently activated roaming with True this way and found them extremely helpful, albeit the number had not expired but they still needed to verify passport, etc. to ensure it was me.

Unfortunately, I don't have the app.

Let me check if I can download and register.   But this would be a good work around when outside of thailand.  

10 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

I've been working outside of thailand for a while now, and so due to not topping up / buying data my validity has come close to running out.  For the same reasons (paying bills) I need to maintain this number, so when I get the warning SMS I get the missus to transfer me some of her validity.  This is on AIS - so I guess it should be possible on other networks.  If the number has truly expired, i.e. its been allocated to someone else, then you need to talk with customer service  - even better have your thai partner talk with them.  it may be possible to get a new number via e-sim.  I got a new phone and had my thai number e-sim added via qr code whilst in europe.

The problem will be getting your bank to accept a change of number without visiting a branch in person, and if they wont, getting a new number, virtual or otherwise wont help.

so the first thing to establish is whether your old thai number is still assigned to you.  If it is, the rest is much easier.

Good point.  One of my banks I removed my mobile number altogether and but the others will probably have the old  number which I'm assuming is now re-assigned as I haven't used it in 3 years

The mandatory use of OTP's and other forms of 2FA authorization via short code sms and/email is common across the whole, childish world these days.

No easy solution if it's Bangkok Bank. I just had a look at what would be needed to change the Thai mobile number on my account and that needs a form to downloaded, filled in and submitted at the local branch. I had to do that a couple of years back when I wanted to update the residential and email addresses. Five minute job at the branch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The mandatory use of OTP's and other forms of 2FA authorization via short code sms and/email is common across the whole, childish world these days.

[my bank] 2 factor authentication means biometrics, which they want to supersede OTP. Typically the face, iow phone selfie camera. The bank has my fingerprints, which is used when I go in, but i haven't seen it mentioned wrt 2FA.

I am living back in my Europe country from Sept 2022 and i have still acces to my KK account whitout question of OTP , i even just topped up my AIS number using the KK app .

And get online confirmation of the top up .

No other verifications asked 

All this in Europe .....i take care to load AIS card in time ( 1 number by 100 baht for 1 year ,and other number by 20 baht for valid 2 month each time ....this to keep KK and AIS alive)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Get New Phone Numbers That Ring On Your Existing Phone

Phone and Shopping Cart 

Add one or more Virtual Numbers to any phone. Use them for anything: sales, ad tracking, work, real estate.

World with Radio Tower Broadcasting 

Find Virtual Numbers locally or in 60+ other countries. Receive calls on any phone in almost every country.

Phone with Lock Icon Locked 

No Contracts! Use our Virtual Numbers for 2 minutes or 10 years. Cancel anytime, no questions asked.

https://www.tossabledigits.com

15 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I tried using friends and my wife's mother

I would ask friends/MiL to purchase one or two pre-paid SIMs in Thailand for you/wife. Ask them to top these up to the maximum 366 days. Have them enable international roaming. Have them isntall and register the servicer provider's apps. Have them mail these SIMs to you wherever you are. Once received verify network connectivity - shouldn't be an issue. Then get to work with the banks to regioster your new contact numbers - this may be the most challeneging but can be done remotely.

Or as KannikaP mentions, use the bank's web-based access, although this may offer a different exeprience.

May I ask which bank(s)? And which transactions require an OTP? I use BBL and SCB and neither require an OTP (PC/Web or mobile app), but maybe I disabled that option? Or my phone's IMEI is somehow registered within the app?

Edited by bamnutsak

Left Thailand a month ago with my Thai AIS mobile. Did nothing except turn cellular data off and roaming on have credit of ฿200 credit that expires in February 2024. 

I receive OTP's from bank and an email address that require 2FA and have no problems receiving on wi-fi.

I can top up credit, if required on my K Plus app any time.

11 hours ago, david555 said:

I am living back in my Europe country from Sept 2022 and i have still acces to my KK account whitout question of OTP , i even just topped up my AIS number using the KK app .

And get online confirmation of the top up .

No other verifications asked 

All this in Europe .....i take care to load AIS card in time ( 1 number by 100 baht for 1 year ,and other number by 20 baht for valid 2 month each time ....this to keep KK and AIS alive)

I do something similar. AIS & Bangkok Bank. 

20 baht x 12 gives my SIM 12 months.

(20 Baht is the minimum reload on the BB App. AIS needs only 10 Bahts reload for 1 month - maximum extensionis 12 months)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ravip said:

(20 Baht is the minimum reload on the BB App. AIS needs only 10 Bahts reload for 1 month - maximum extensionis 12 months)

1 Ais sim card is 15 year old one who give for 1x 100 baht  1 year valid as long i do not change to other promotion ....,the newer one is a Tesco lotus promotion card who give me unlimited internet acces for 100 baht a month at 512 kb speed which is enough to use mobiele when visiting  LOS , and if not reloading 100 it stays anyway valid & not expiering...but as soon my 2 montly reloading reach 100 baht they deduct thise 100...

Anyway worth the money to keep card alive and promotion alive ...

4 hours ago, ravip said:

I assume you call the bank and tell them to turn off service, and then they take 20 B per month from your Wallet until you tell them to turn back on?

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I assume you call the bank and tell them to turn off service, and then they take 20 B per month from your Wallet until you tell them to turn back on?

I don't understand your assumption. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:49 AM, ravip said:

Please.... you say "Thailand in it's childishness..."

YOUR  SIM expired.  What's that? 

If it wasn't clear in my original post. I've been outside of Thailand since just before COVID.   If you remember we were banned from entering the country for an extended period and since that time, I've gotten new employment (in USA we don't get any vacation time)  and have had family issues that have prevented my family and I returning to the country.   However, I still have active financial accounts witihin Thailand.   I do not care about some stupid thai phone number I used to have. But I need access to several features on my account in order to file foreign income taxes that are now behind the glorious OTP firewall.      

So yes overall they are childish thinking they have to adopt to the next newest tech feature to mimic how things are done in western countries.

Edited by Time Traveller

On 3/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, scubascuba3 said:

People got to have better planning when leaving Thailand, valid sim topped up and Intl roaming on + online banking set up along with apps, can only blame yourself 

Sure, blame myself for the global spread of Covid and not knowing 3 months in advance that Thailand would shut their borders.   Stupid me, huh?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:19 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Thailand in it's childishness"

Providing your financial transactions with security is "childishness"?  Gawd...

I've had one bank account open for over 20 years, and just using online password and PIN number, I've never had a problem with security.   Nor have I ever had a problem with security with my brokerage account, or my other bank account, or my credit card account with the same security measures.   

And just to be clear, there is no security involved here because I'm not wanting to transfer any money at all. All I'm wanting is access is the financial information in order to file my (foreign) taxes and report correct income and balances.  

So, yes, believing that adding a OTP is to your accounts is going to protect you is naïve. 

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:26 PM, bamnutsak said:

I would ask friends/MiL to purchase one or two pre-paid SIMs in Thailand for you/wife. Ask them to top these up to the maximum 366 days. Have them enable international roaming. Have them isntall and register the servicer provider's apps. Have them mail these SIMs to you wherever you are. Once received verify network connectivity - shouldn't be an issue. Then get to work with the banks to regioster your new contact numbers - this may be the most challeneging but can be done remotely.

Or as KannikaP mentions, use the bank's web-based access, although this may offer a different exeprience.

May I ask which bank(s)? And which transactions require an OTP? I use BBL and SCB and neither require an OTP (PC/Web or mobile app), but maybe I disabled that option? Or my phone's IMEI is somehow registered within the app?

Well I do have a BBL bank account, I can live without having the phone app as I can still access internet banking.  

The major problem is Krungthai bank which basically closed their entire online internet banking and forced everyone to use the app which requires a OTP to register.   Totally blind on that account now.

Then I have a stock market account which I'd like to have access to some tax reports which are blocked without a OTP.

To be clear, I've tried several of those  Thai virtual mobile numbers, which didn't work.  They do each have the disclaimer that the numbers are not to be used for OTP from banks and so forth.  So there is some mechanism preventing that option.   

Probably I'll just have to go back to asking someone to use their number.  And hopefully be back later in the year to sort out a better plan

16 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

I've had one bank account open for over 20 years, and just using online password and PIN number, I've never had a problem with security.   Nor have I ever had a problem with security with my brokerage account, or my other bank account, or my credit card account with the same security measures.   

And just to be clear, there is no security involved here because I'm not wanting to transfer any money at all. All I'm wanting is access is the financial information in order to file my (foreign) taxes and report correct income and balances.  

So, yes, believing that adding a OTP is to your accounts is going to protect you is naïve. 

So it's only OTP's added to Thai bank accounts that are childish and naive in your eyes, then?

Whereas OTP's added to our home country bank accounts are, on the other hand, worthy of praise to the very highest heavens as being the best thing in mature adulthood and sophistication since sliced bread, right?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:
On 3/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Thailand in it's childishness"

Providing your financial transactions with security is "childishness"?  Gawd...

But you, ridiculously, stated that it the security measures were "childishness",  that is what I reacted to, nothing more, yet you don't address that!

On 3/19/2023 at 3:44 PM, ravip said:

AIS ... 

Yes, for AIS need to continuously top up to get an extra months validity. With True or DTAC just text the 6 months extender code for another 6 months validity for about 15THB fee, which I find easier and less to worry abut once every 6 months.

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

They do each have the disclaimer that the numbers are not to be used for OTP from banks and so forth.  So there is some mechanism preventing that option.   

Probably that they do not accept SMS from "short codes" - Codes sent from a number less than 10 digits.

Edited by JimmyJ