B800k savings? - get your tax refund

The "form 90" the OP refers to is a Thai personal income tax return.  And one is required to first have a Thai tax ID number.  I obtained one of those here in CM about 10 years ago and to get one, besides copies of a couple of pages of your passport, they wanted a certificate of residence (in my case, I had one that was several months old but they accepted a photocopy of that). You get the tax ID number at your local revenue office.

Here in Chiangmai, one can do this by simply going to your relevant revenue office and they will fill out and file the income tax return for you.  About three weeks later you'll get your check(s) in the mail which you take to Kasikorn bank and you can retrieve the funds.

I understand, given the lousy interest rates the last few years, one can decide to not bother for low amounts withheld; however, you can file for 3 years back (I just did this a month+ ago and got three checks for the amounts withheld for 2020, 2021, and 2022).  Easy process and worth my time.

Edit:  If you had other Thai income and you owe personal income taxes, maybe you do or do not simply get the withheld funds back. In my case, I'm retired and have no Thai income.  Once they asked me if I had any other Thai income (answer was "no") whereas on at least two other occasions they never asked me anything (i.e., there was zero "digging into my business").

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've done it before when the interest rate was higher, and when I lived a couple blocks from the tax office and my bank.

Now I've moved out to the provinces, and it generally takes 3-4 hours to reach the lone customer service desk at my bank branch.  Then would have to drive an hour to the big city to find a tax office to wait in line a couple hours to file a claim.

For what?  My 800K earns me the princely sum of 4000 baht at 0.5% interest.  The 15% tax amounts to 600 baht.............about $17.

600 BAHT, probably would buy a dozen bottles of beer!

You don't need to travel to the tax office.

It can be filled out online completely.

The only downside it's in Thai, and the first time you need probably some help (Even some tax office will help).

But when you have done it one time, the next year you can use your old version to check what you have to click. it's done in about 10 minutes online. if you fluent in reading Thai even much faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 10years said:

The Thai government now requires personal income tax to be automatically withheld from all interest income. There's no minimum limit before the withholding kicks in.

What interest income?

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

The "form 90" the OP refers to is a Thai personal income tax return.  And one is required to first have a Thai tax ID number.  I obtained one of those here in CM about 10 years ago and to get one, besides copies of a couple of pages of your passport, they wanted a certificate of residence (in my case, I had one that was several months old but they accepted a photocopy of that). You get the tax ID number at your local revenue office.

Here in Chiangmai, one can do this by simply going to your relevant revenue office and they will fill out and file the income tax return for you.  About three weeks later you'll get your check(s) in the mail which you take to Kasikorn bank and you can retrieve the funds.

I understand, given the lousy interest rates the last few years, one can decide to not bother for low amounts withheld; however, you can file for 3 years back (I just did this a month+ ago and got three checks for the amounts withheld for 2020, 2021, and 2022).  Easy process and worth my time.

Edit:  If you had other Thai income and you owe personal income taxes, maybe you do or do not simply get the withheld funds back. In my case, I'm retired and have no Thai income.  Once they asked me if I had any other Thai income (answer was "no") whereas on at least two other occasions they never asked me anything (i.e., there was zero "digging into my business").

Given the absurdly low interest rates, it's better to file three years at a time.  I haven't even bothered for over a decade.  When I first got here I was getting 4%.  Then it went to peanuts and isn't worth filing.
Now - with the global banking crisis on the horizon, banks may actually need to start paying interest to attract deposits.  Remember back in the day when commercial banks actually wanted deposits to lean out as loans.  <laughs>  Now they just wave a magical wand over a bank loan and "Voila!" - Money!  Who needs depositors?  Deposits and interest are just liabilities on the bank's books.

Edited by connda

5 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Doubt whether 600 THB would cover the cost of a return trip to his big city via the lone customer service desk at his bank branch, though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Be forewarned that, depending on where you live, filing this may trigger extensive questioning.

I did this 3 years running and all 3 times was called into provincial tax office for a very intrusive 3rd degree by junior staff completely unfamiliar with the concept of a retirement visa and convinced I must be working here (which I am not). I had to make multiple trips, bring in stacks of documents proving money transferred from abroad, and ultimately work my way up the food chain of officers. Very time consuming and unpleasant.

Decided not to bother this year, simply not worth it for around 500 baht.

YMMV of course and apparently in some places all goes smoothly enough.

This is correct. When I applied for my Tax ID I had to fill in a questionnaire and the main focus was how I finance my life in Thailand and if I get a pension. But no documents were required. I gave this Tax ID to my banks here and no tax is deducted. But even some European banks insisted that I give them my Thai Tax ID. Good that I had one already.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

I believe if you file late, you will be charged a late fee of 200 baht for each late return, so checks two years should have 200 baht deducted.

18 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've done it before when the interest rate was higher, and when I lived a couple blocks from the tax office and my bank.

Now I've moved out to the provinces, and it generally takes 3-4 hours to reach the lone customer service desk at my bank branch.  Then would have to drive an hour to the big city to find a tax office to wait in line a couple hours to file a claim.

For what?  My 800K earns me the princely sum of 4000 baht at 0.5% interest.  The 15% tax amounts to 600 baht.............about $17.

Maybe change your bank?  Scb pays 1.5% =12000baht per annum......almost all other Banks are paying just over 1% so double your "4000baht"....this is the land of "up to you" ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, HampiK said:

The only downside it's in Thai, and the first time you need probably some help (Even some tax office will help).

But when you have done it one time, the next year you can use your old version to check what you have to click. it's done in about 10 minutes online. if you fluent in reading Thai even much faster.

Can translate easy enough on Google Lens app

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Maybe change your bank?  Scb pays 1.5% =12000baht per annum......almost all other Banks are paying just over 1% so double your "4000baht"....this is the land of "up to you" ????

That is possible. 

I could move the 800K retirement stash from Bangkok Bank to another bank.  I could hope the transfer is completed in one day with no break in time held in accounts.  I could stand in line for hours at TWO banks next extension, and get TWO bank letters and TWO bank statements.  I could hope immigration won't give me too much grief for having two bank accounts, both for less than the full year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Don't do the transfer in one lump sum.  Transfer 400,000 first time and once in the new account do the second transfer.  Do this during the period you only need to keep 400,000 in the account.

Opening a new account will likely need a residence certificate, so another trip to the big city to visit immigration, and I'd still be wasting a whole day getting two bank letters and two statements for next extension.  All this so I can get a little more interest, and claim a tax refund?  I probably won't bother.  The extra interest earned and the tax refund isn't worth the trouble.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I believe if you file late, you will be charged a late fee of 200 baht for each late return, so checks two years should have 200 baht deducted.

Hasn't happened to me.....and, as mentioned, just got checks for the three years (2020, 2021, and 2022) I filed returns for.

16 hours ago, CMBob said:

I wondered about the tax ID number. If a depositor doesn't have a tax number, how does the bank file his withheld tax? And if he gets a new number, how is his past withheld taxes going to connect with that new number?

I have filed many times for a tax refund and have never been asked anything. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Exactly. As a retiree, you probably can spare some time to run this errand. And getting "paid" B600 for an hour of your time seems worthwhile to me.

Edit: You can pick up the tax withholding statements from any branch of your bank on your way to the tax office. The bank teller can print them fairly quickly while you wait. The tellers are now familiar with these statements.

Edited by 10years

14 hours ago, HampiK said:

I was told foreigners shouldn't file online. Also, the Form 90 is completely in English. And what do you do with required supporting documents such as the bank paper statements? Can you access online versions of the forms?

13 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Really? When they charge 100 Baht for a one-line letter to submit to Immigration?

Probably the immigration letter is a special, optional request. The tax withholding statement is probably something that banks must legally provide. The statements are free.

3 minutes ago, 10years said:

I wondered about the tax ID number. If a depositor doesn't have a tax number, how does the bank file his withheld tax? And if he gets a new number, how is his past withheld taxes going to connect with that new number?

I have no idea how they file the withheld tax if one doesn't have a tax ID number.....but presume it's filed under the person's name and account number.  Given revenue would also have the written bank verification of the account number, amount withheld, person's name, and address (all that information is on the forms issued by SCB and Bangkok Bank), I'd guess that the revenue department wouldn't have any problem matching it up.  

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Hasn't happened to me.....and, as mentioned, just got checks for the three years (2020, 2021, and 2022) I filed returns for.

I retired in Thailand and moved back to the States. For three years I didn't go to Thailand. When I finally came last year, I filed returns for 2019, 2020 and 2021. There was no fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 10years said:

I was told foreigners shouldn't file online. Also, the Form 90 is completely in English. And what do you do with required supporting documents such as the bank paper statements? Can you access online versions of the forms?

I scan my paper documents from the bank and upload them as PDFs at the end.

I have now done online tax returns for 4 years.

Edited by HampiK
  • Like 2