UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

They (local district council) ask annually who (name) is living at each address and then if that person is not on the electoral register will write to them directly on that issue.

They never wrote to my address.

I lose a couple of points on my credit rating for not being on the electoral role.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

"Happened to me ages ago". Try doing it now. Money laundering laws have really tightened since 2020.

It definitely is to do with Brexit. That's why the entitled, monied elite lied through their teeth to get Brexit over the line before EU passed laws to reign in off shore tax avoidance.

That doesn't make sense at all. Brexit became real at 23:00 GMT on 31 January 2020. People are getting account closing letters from Barclay's dated THIS year.

UK offshore banks have been carrying out KYC (know your customer) checks for at least 8 years already.

The AMLO and FATCA regulations are not EU banking mandates either but EU banks have to comply with them as well as the 'liberated' UK ones.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

They (local district council) ask annually who (name) is living at each address and then if that person is not on the electoral register will write to them directly on that issue.

Is this new? I have been listed at my sister's address for 11 years and prior to that at my parents addresses for the best part of 30 years. Nobody from any council wrote to anyone about anything.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Is this new? I have been listed at my sister's address for 11 years and prior to that at my parents addresses for the best part of 30 years. Nobody from any council wrote to anyone about anything.

Guess it's the luck of the draw, I can only state whet I personally experienced.  Bit like an onward ticket.

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  just dont tell the bank you live in Thailand.  They will have no reason to check if you are at the UK address or not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

Not simple. To change address the bank now asks for proof of residence eg name on electoral roll, utility bill in bank customer's name etc.

I've just been through this worrying procedure.

When was this? and which bank? often they have an online screen you just update 

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

Tried that and failed 2, private pension companies refused to deposit my pensions into Wise, one gave the excuse that Wise was not a bank, only a finance house and as such not covered by banking deposit protection(s).

That sucks!

My pension provider accepted the authenticated "proof of account details" provided by Wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Get a Revolut account. Works flawlessly.

Requires a UK address and a UK phone number. Then it will work flawlessly. Same same with all the other internet banks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  just dont tell the bank you live in Thailand.  They will have no reason to check if you are at the UK address or not

I told my bank i don't live in UK and don't have a UK address and they have been no problem.

It's an online bank so maybe for the time being it's OK. 

When i asked for a credit card they supplied one along with the a little calculater log in online thingy. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The exchange rate used wasn't flawless, basically hidden charges in the spread at the weekend as Thai baht was deemed to be a volatile currency like ruble. It's hidden in the small print if you look hard enough. Maybe they've removed it but unlikely

If you were moving money at the weekend you were asking for problems. Some of the Thai banks will hang onto the transferred sum until the Tuesday hoping to make, at your expense.

2 minutes ago, Surasak said:

If you were moving money at the weekend you were asking for problems. Some of the Thai banks will hang onto the transferred sum until the Tuesday hoping to make, at your expense.

It was a few years ago, it may have been weekend purchases, it was shady business practices to add a hidden fee to the exchange rate and make it very difficult to find on their website

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

More and more UK banks are pulling the plug on "non UK residents", I thought it was actually a government directive but it seems it's really individual banks.

I had my Barclays account closed 10 years or so ago for "apparently not being a UK resident", this despite using my parent's address. Luckily Nationwide haven't started this policy, yet.

I also have a UK offshore (Isle of Man) account which does have my Thai address so if it all goes pear-shaped I still have a backup.

It's not just the u.k.  Canadian banks and possibly American have the same rule.  My bank records show me in Thailand visiting but I still have an address for my account in Canada with my daughter.  The only thing that goes there is my new bank card or visa card when they expire.  If I lose my card they send it to me here.  It is a government law about people living outside Canada not being able to have an account 

There are half-measure solutions (such as Standard Bank in Isle of Man or Shipton in Jersey) but for crucial matters such as large deposits from law firms/government departments etc. you can guarantee that they will require a UK bank account with a real UK bank, not WISE etc., because it will be required in law.

This problem has been ongoing for many years and even been raised in parliament. And it just gets worse. 

I had a huge problem with HSBC Bank around 7 years ago, but by flying to the Hong Kong branch (!), I somehow saved my account.

Part of the problem is they won't tell you what the solution is. The reason for this is security. They don't want the criminals to "case the joint". So you have to offer up solutions to the vague problem they present.

The problem is never simply that you live in Thailand. That is simply what they tell you is the general policy of the bank. You have to dig to find out how flexible they are.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

What is classed as UK address? Does your name have to be on a UK council tax registration? Or just a UK postal address reg with bank ? Or a house hold bill?

Many people living in the UK are living in a rented room in a shared household. They would not have a council tax bill or fixed utility bill in their name. This does not stop them being on the electoral role or having a driving licence at that address. Whether the bank will accept this is unknown. The bank may want to see a rental agreement though. But if living with a relative or friend that would likely not be available. Are banks closing accounts for those circumstances too? Unlikely. Just never give up a UK address or tell the bank you've left the country.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What a pathetic world this has become what does it matter who you have a bank account with. 

what a pathetic world this has become if we have to break the law in order to comply with banks' idiotic policies

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

I had my Barclays account closed 10 years or so ago

I've had my Barclays account for the most part in mainland Europe for over twenty years - no problem. They DID close my barclaycard accounts after I cleared the balance and I didn't owe them anything (of course) but I have had no problem with the standard bank account with this address. I also changed in to Singapore and/or Thailand temporarily and again with no problem. I DO have a UK mobile number which I think they registered (but I don't use it with Barclys mobile banking I use another phone and that seems to work fine). Strange.

Edited by nglodnig

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's been the UK banks' (not strictly enforced) regulation for many years, as you found out, probably at the BoE's recommendation, so I suppose it is a government directive indirectly.

The Bank of England is independent.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nglodnig said:

And frequently if not always one has to produce a council tax bill (lekky bill, other bank statement) or similar to PROVE ones UK address.

Thought the thread was about someone that already has a UK bank account not applying for one. 

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I assume this wasn't last week. Have you looked at HSBC's new account signup rules lately? The only fast-track option is if you already have an account with them. Otherwise, you need to be a walk-in, prove-where-you-live sort of applicant. In a similar vein, those who think they can simply open an account at the Isle of Man or Channel Island branch of their existing mainland UK bank are in for a surprise. Their rules have changed too and you need to be resident in those domiciles to qualify. Luckily, the accounts of those who opened UK offshore accounts before the rule changes are grandfathered (for now) but they won't allow these existing customers to open a new account there.

On my HSBC account, I believe it is for expats, I get 0% interest on this account, only last week I enquired if I could run another account (online banking) with interest alongside this account, they said yes but to open I have to ring the bank (not allowed to open on line) with me being not resident in the UK

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Would the local authorities ask for the names of all adults living at any one address? Or just the number of adults in order to assess the Council Tax Bill?

They do not ask for names, as far as I know,they  only need to know the number or if you are living alone, that is one person, then you get a reduction on the council tax bill.

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Like 1

I have a Wise bank account with UK sort code in the event of my UK bank closing my account but could  only get a debit card by using a family address  in the UK. Haven't had to use it yet but Wise make so much money from my FX transfers they will  keep it  open.  If my UK bank wanted to  check they would  easily trace my activity with Wise but they don't  seem to mind and with online banking I check my UK accounts most  days. Would be a real pain to change my account details  with 4 pension providers! 

Making us jump through hoops when UK banks make it easy for Oligarchs and Tory MPs including the PM and Chancellor to happily operate Off Shore accounts shows the double standards of the haves over the have not. And don't  start me on Frozen Pensions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I had my Barclays account closed 10 years or so ago for "apparently not being a UK resident", this despite using my parent's address. 

"apparently not being a UK resident"

What made Barclays come to this conclusion?