UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

sammieuk1

"Golden rule for expats never tell the bank or government where you are maintain a Doctors UK phone number a trust worthy address and never use your UK bank cards here (top tip) from Metro bank manager use a wise or pre paid card and your life will be near to normal"

"maintain a Doctors UK phone number"

Why?

"a trust worthy address"

Easier said than done for many and can change with time.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

They do not ask for names, as far as I know,they  only need to know the number or if you are living alone, that is one person, then you get a reduction on the council tax bill.

Without wanting to go off topic, there is relevance to this. This only applies if the council tax discount is being claimed.

I keep a flat in London, I'm the sole occupier since 2015 and claim the 25% single occupant discount off my council tax bill. Late last year, I received urgent letters from the council wanting me to refile for the discount, otherwise I would be paying 100%. I went online to complete what they asked. It seems for some reason, there was another name linked (they didn't say how, and it wasn't the landlord's name) to the address. It wasn't the previous tenant either. Ticked the box to say "I'd never heard of them" and that was that. No further action. Be aware, that if using an address for banking at a friend's or relative's house, then the council may well try to remove their sole occupancy discount if it is being claimed - they do check databases somehow, and consider false claims as fraud. There might be a case for saying your name is recorded as a mailing address only without actually being resident.

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's been the UK banks' (not strictly enforced) regulation for many years, as you found out, probably at the BoE's recommendation, so I suppose it is a government directive indirectly.

Expand  

The Bank of England is independent.

Independent of what?  The BOE is a public agency, answerable to the government, that regulates financial institutions, including banks, through the PRA.   It can make recommendations and I did qualify my comment with "probably".

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Not simple. To change address the bank now asks for proof of residence eg name on electoral roll, utility bill in bank customer's name etc.

I've just been through this worrying procedure.

Surprising.

Just to clarify - 

You had an established existing account for at least 1 year.

You gave them a new Residential address.

They didn't accept that at face value but asked for proofs that it is your current residence and you are in fact living there (or at least have utilities in your name, are registered to vote using that address, etc.).

Edited by JimmyJ

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Banks generally do seem to be becoming more than a bit tetchy. I suspect it's all about money laundering regulations and the like.

Agree. It's all about that now. I closed my UK bank account because they kept harassing me for personal details. Even after I closed it they kept trying. I quite enjoyed ignoring their letters.

I still have my Thai bank accounts and they never asked me for an address. Just had to leave 2,000 baht in each to keep them open.

23 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

What is classed as UK address? Does your name have to be on a UK council tax registration? Or just a UK postal address reg with bank ? Or a house hold bill?

It's whatever the bank decides is suitable but the requirement is not "to have a UK address", it's "to be UK resident", that's what customers have to prove if the bank asks.

23 hours ago, nikmar said:

My building society k ow i live in thailand. I use my Mums address and they are ok with that..

That's what those whose accounts are now being closed thought at one time, also.  Officially, to have a UK bank/building society account the account holder has to be UK resident but you've got away with it so far...that could change.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes...or ask her why her name doesn't show on the electoral register at the fake address she provides or why she cannot produce utility bills in her name.

In reality the bank will realise that she is obviously lying (it knows she lives in Thailand) and won't bother to investigate, it'll just send her notification that the account is closing and ask her where would she like the balance sending.

Expand  

If I live with my daughter when I go back to UK and she registered me as living there and go back and fourth to Thailand it can be done. 

Of course it can, living with your daughter and registered at her address in the UK would make you a UK resident in the bank's view, no one's disputing that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Can't believe a bank would be bothered other than not having a UK address. 

Well you should believe it, as incongruous as it may seem, because it is happening to many non-UK residents due to the banks' regulations.  Some banks/branches are more lenient than others.

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I got Revolut in Thailand

How?   It cannot be done using a Thai phone number and their T&C and setting up process does not include Thailand in their list of countries. 

I know that because I try it regularly and have just tried again now.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Question is do you need to be a 'resident' of the UK?

Yes, that is required, that's what this is all about!  UK bank account holders, officially, have to be "UK Resident" (yes, I know that many here are getting away with it because of the longstanding of their accounts). If you can convince them that you are "UK Resident" when they ask, that's great, however you do it.

23 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

REVOLUT has largely the same benefits as N26 and an account can be opened by a UK citizen irrespective of where you are living.

That is not correct, I try it almost once a week just in case it works and it doesn't as at 10 minutes ago.  Revolut accounts cannot be opened through its app with a Thai phone number and Thailand does not appear on their list of countries when attempting to sign up.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, soalbundy said:

An address with a relative will do fine.

Of course it will as long as the bank accepts it!  Officially, it won't "do fine" as, according to the bank's regulations, the account holder has to be UK Resident, that's why non UK residents cannot open new UK bank accounts any longer.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:06 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

it'll just send her notification that the account is closing and ask her where would she like the balance sending

I had an account in US 30 years and the bank decided to close and sent a paper check for te balance 

which took one month after deposit in Thai Bank to clear. 

On 3/22/2023 at 11:42 AM, brianthainess said:

If she has friends or family in the UK she can change her address to theirs. simple.

Thanks.....but honestly, try reading the OA post first before pointing out what is obvious . ???? 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:46 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Until the bank queries it!  Funny how she's suddenly got a new UK address that she's not registered at while living, with the banks knowledge, in Thailand for years!  Not so simple.

having dealt with one of the most intransagent of banks - Nordea Denmark, I'm advising her to  be exrtra careful about what changes she makes to her situation in the UK. she also has to persuade the property managers to accomodate her needs - and that may take some doing. 

22 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I never had any issues with Barclay's in the 18 years I've lived in Thailand without a UK address - until now.

so, have your heard of any new requirements??. maybe my friend is receiving confusing info. from the bank. Both my Canadian bank and broker have asked for new info forms to be filed. But that appears to relate to the overall North American tax/banking system. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

HSBC does not have a retail operation in Thailand, hasn't had for years.

I opened a online account at my branch in the UK before I came to Thailand. Anyone living in Thailand opening an account, even if it is online has to telephone their operation 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is not correct, I try it almost once a week just in case it works and it doesn't as at 10 minutes ago.  Revolut accounts cannot be opened through its app with a Thai phone number and Thailand does not appear on their list of countries when attempting to sign up.  

There are many expats living in Thailand that make use of Revolut. 

I did take a look on their website, and you are able to open an account using a Thai mobile number.

To subscribe they will ask for your personal details, and a UK resident should then give an address in UK (e.g. from friends/relatives), but for opening the account you only need your passport and have a selfie-made to prove that it is you opening it.

NOTE: That I do not have a Revolut account, but as EU citizen I opened an account with the N26 Internet-bank, and gave the address that I use when visiting Europe.  And I can make transfers and withdrawals from my N26 account while in Thailand using my mobile phone with thai SIM-card.

Would be very strange if that were not possible when using Revolut. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fdsa said:

if faking the utility bills does not break any law then I'm feeling glad ????

If you have a utility bill that comes to an address and it's in your name and it gets paid your not breaking any law for goodness sake. 

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

so, have your heard of any new requirements??. maybe my friend is receiving confusing info. from the bank. Both my Canadian bank and broker have asked for new info forms to be filed. But that appears to relate to the overall North American tax/banking system. 

All I know is that I received a letter from Barclay's stating that I must close my account as I do not reside in the UK. If I don't close it they will do so on 31st August 2023.

So, the requirement is that I reside in the UK, which I don't and will not in the forseeable future.

I don't know whether this is a legal requirement, or just Barclay's deciding that it's better for their business.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

sammieuk1

"Golden rule for expats never tell the bank or government where you are maintain a Doctors UK phone number a trust worthy address and never use your UK bank cards here (top tip) from Metro bank manager use a wise or pre paid card and your life will be near to normal"

"maintain a Doctors UK phone number"

Why?

"a trust worthy address"

Easier said than done for many and can change with time.

Agree that's the hardest bit that needs advance preparation or prepare to fail????

Natwest closed my UK account when they realised I was overseas. I asked Co-op what would happen if I moved abroad, and they said they would have to close my account, so I didn't tell them. This was all about 10 years ago. 

I'd suggest the person from the OP opens an account with Starling as soon as possible. It's easier to do while you still have another UK account. If you don't request an overdraft/credit, the checks are minimal, and if you don't order a debit card, they don't send anything out in the post. 

• Like 1