UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

Nasty lot of UK banks my online bank is OK so far and Nationwide have 2 addresses of mine the UK one they kept as the main one, they also email me every month showing my statement with 8 pence in it for 14 years. ????

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How?   It cannot be done using a Thai phone number and their T&C and setting up process does not include Thailand in their list of countries. 

I know that because I try it regularly and have just tried again now.

image.png.ec32e9537f0d91acc0bf83b68c985f9c.png

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's whatever the bank decides is suitable but the requirement is not "to have a UK address", it's "to be UK resident", that's what customers have to prove if the bank asks.

The emphasis is more on the need for a UK address, with some supporting documents such as utility bills, NHS cards etc. In the name of the account holder. Less emphasis is placed on where the account holder is actually located. Basically  many UK banks do not want account holders using overseas addresses on their books.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course it will as long as the bank accepts it!  Officially, it won't "do fine" as, according to the bank's regulations, the account holder has to be UK Resident, that's why non UK residents cannot open new UK bank accounts any longer.

Regulations, has to, must be, it's all BS. The bank is a soulless entity, real people work there 9 to 5, they want to pay their rent, buy groceries, get their tea break, give them an excuse to tick the right box and they will do so, 'theirs is not to reason why'. "She gave that address sir", end of story.

I lived and worked in Germany as a Brit for 35 years, when I got early retirement BMW payed me my salary for another two years no matter where I was and since I was going to Thailand I went to my local tax office to register that fact. The official was most confused.

"You are still liable to pay taxes so you must have a German address"

" You can't force me to stay in Germany, I'm a free man now, I don't have to work so I don't have to live here"

"There's nothing in the rule book about early retirement, it's still all new, I don't know what to do about this.......couldn't you just register with a friend it would be easier for both of us"

"Well yes but my bank and BMW know my address in Thailand, that could cause problems"

"I'm your tax case clerk, I don't have to look at everything, just your tax contributions, just give me a registered German address"

" Would tomorrow be alright"

" Yes, just telephone me, I'll fill in the address myself"

That was a GERMAN TAX OFFICE, a very exact, law abiding entity, a bank is a piece of cake, when you give them a new address in the UK it probably wont even be the same person you spoke to, don't take things so seriously, they wont, give them a box to tick, make them happy.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:
7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's whatever the bank decides is suitable but the requirement is not "to have a UK address", it's "to be UK resident", that's what customers have to prove if the bank asks.

Expand  

The emphasis is more on the need for a UK address

No, it is not, the banks' need account holders to be UK resident, that is their regulation, if a bank accepts being supplied with just a UK address as sufficient that's up to them but it does not, officially, satisfy the UK resident requirement.    

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?...  How?...

Screenshot_20230323_191652_com.huawei.appmarket.jpg

Just Google 'Opening a REVOLUT account while in Thailand'.

Note: Instead of trying to do it on a mobile, try opening the Revolut-site on a laptop computer, and there you will have the option to input a Thai mobile number.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Note: Instead of trying to do it on a mobile, try opening the Revolut-site on a laptop

I did, it presents a QR code which when read then states that it's not available in the region.

Which link on the Google search  facilitates opening a new Revolut account in Thailand?  

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 3/22/2023 at 5:01 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Quite agree. It's quite likely that the bank will invite the account-holder to make a personal appearance at one of their branches, with evidence of the "new" address..

Quite correct they will want a copy of a utility bill shown to a local bank, with your name and address on it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Just Google 'Opening a REVOLUT account while in Thailand'.

Note: Instead of trying to do it on a mobile, try opening the Revolut-site on a laptop computer, and there you will have the option to input a Thai mobile number.

This notice says "Not available in your region" (my region is Bangkok, Thailand), it does not say "Not available in your region unless you use a laptop"!

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

when you give them a new address in the UK it probably wont even be the same person you spoke to, don't take things so seriously, they wont, give them a box to tick, make them happy.

Would not be so sure of that. These days data collection, sharing and matching is a big thing. CRM systems in place have notes and alerts.

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This notice says "Not available in your region" (my region is Bangkok, Thailand), it does not say "Not available in your region unless you use a laptop"!

If you give a UK address, you can use a Thai number.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gaccha said:

That's quite interesting.

You might need a VPN to download the app. Zoog has a free app version that let's you choose the UK for the location. It's basic and sometimes flakey, but it does the job for stuff like this. Once you have the Starling App, you don't need a VPN to use it on a daily basis. 

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Would not be so sure of that. These days data collection, sharing and matching is a big thing. CRM systems in place have notes and alerts.

I bow to superior knowledge, I haven't been in the UK for well over 50 years. My point was that when confronting entities such as banks or government one is dealing with real people, not the entity per se. One instance I can remember was a British acquaintance telling me that he had given UK authorities his brothers address in the UK but lived with his Thai wife in Isaan so he was getting his pension increases each year. All went well until he applied for heating allowance (greedy). He got the allowance for about 3 months and then an official turned up at his Brothers house to check on him. His brother told the man the truth who gave him a phone number for the delinquent to contact him. Naturally he was worried that he would be fined and have to pay back the heating allowance and pension increases. He contacted the official and concocted a heart wrenching story as to why he had done this. When the official asked how long exactly had he been living in Thailand (10 years) he hummed and hared until the official said, "probably about a month I would say so you should now withdraw your request for heating allowance and write to us informing us of your new address and that will be an end of the matter". Employees want the easy way out, nobody needs agro and extra work.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:
On 3/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, phetphet said:

Would the local authorities ask for the names of all adults living at any one address? Or just the number of adults in order to assess the Council Tax Bill?

They do not ask for names, as far as I know,they  only need to know the number or if you are living alone, that is one person, then you get a reduction on the council tax bill.

Correct. My current UK holding address is my mate's gaff and, as a single bloke still living and working in the UK, he expressed concern that he could lose his single-occupant council tax credit. It is assumed that the local council department that handles voter's registration shares that data across all their departments, including revenue.

10 hours ago, Upnotover said:

All it does is send you an SMS link to.......Playstore.....back to square one I suspect.

Just tried it. Worked for me with a Thai number and UK address. Verification was then done with passport and a selfie.  

Being a Barclays customer with no UK address I have spent a while looking at alternatives. I have chosen Wise with whom I have been dealing for a few years and so already had an account. Trying to call them in Singapore was a fruitless exercise so I had to try the on-line option. It was quite clear that I was talking to a 'robot' and when you are in that situation life can become very puzzling in that specific questions cannot get direct replies. Anyway I eventually managed to impress 'Jude' enough for it to verify me. So I was then able to get my account information- Sort Code etc. At present I am having my State Pension (UK) paid in to Barclays and I needed to move that to Wise so I called the DWP and fairly quickly and seamlessly was able to make that change. My conversation was on Wednesday and the lady officer asked me if I wanted my next payment , due today, to be paid to Wise.  The lady told me that telephone enquiries are dealt with immediately whereas postal requests take a while to process. So sometime next week I hope to see my Pension in my Wise account. Watch this space!!  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Without wanting to go off topic, there is relevance to this. This only applies if the council tax discount is being claimed.

I keep a flat in London, I'm the sole occupier since 2015 and claim the 25% single occupant discount off my council tax bill. Late last year, I received urgent letters from the council wanting me to refile for the discount, otherwise I would be paying 100%. I went online to complete what they asked. It seems for some reason, there was another name linked (they didn't say how, and it wasn't the landlord's name) to the address. It wasn't the previous tenant either. Ticked the box to say "I'd never heard of them" and that was that. No further action. Be aware, that if using an address for banking at a friend's or relative's house, then the council may well try to remove their sole occupancy discount if it is being claimed - they do check databases somehow, and consider false claims as fraud. There might be a case for saying your name is recorded as a mailing address only without actually being resident.

Good information. Another option if you are using a friend or relative's UK address and they get asked to refile, you could always agree to pay your relative or friend's council tax difference. Some may say that exposes you to HMRC scrutiny but HMRC has access to your passport information as logged by the Border Force and your ins and outs of the UK (if any).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

I honestly have no idea. Maybe my foreign ATM cash withdrawals or even my IP address. They didn't elaborate ???? 

My Barclays plastic and associated account transactions are SOLELY in the UK including any done online. I access their app from Thailand and opted for paperless communications.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good information. Another option if you are using a friend or relative's UK address and they get asked to refile, you could always agree to pay your relative or friend's council tax difference. Some may say that exposes you to HMRC scrutiny but HMRC has access to your passport information as logged by the Border Force and your ins and outs of the UK (if any).

This has been rumoured for years but I don't think it's true. AFAIK it's not verifiable unless anyone has experienced HMRC using this info. Of course, in theory, you'd think it was true. But does anyone have any evidence?

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

This has been rumoured for years but I don't think it's true. AFAIK it's not verifiable unless anyone has experienced HMRC using this info. Of course, in theory, you'd think it was true. But does anyone have any evidence?

No personal experience but over the years there's been a few stories in the media about Brits living the dream in Thailand or The Algarve being charged for making fraudulent claims for things like their 'winter heating bonus'. In these cases, it was stated that HMRC did have access to the miscreants passport information which evidenced their non-domiciled status in the UK. Didn't matter that they were lurking in Pattaya or Torremolinos, as far as the UK authorities were concerned, they simply weren't "at home" and screwing the pooch (or something similar).

11 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

https://www.revolut.com/

Then click on the +44 mobile number and change to +66 for Thailand

revolut.JPG

That does not work because Revolut is not yet available in Thailand!   This is what happens...

(1)   Enter a Thai phone number and get 'Success'!...

(2)  Returns to the previous home page again with three options, 'Log in', 'Sign up' or 'Get a free account'.  Log in (after receiving 'Success!') asks for a 4-digit passcode that hasn't been provided, Sign up obviously goes back to (1) as does 'Get a free account'

Revolut is not yet available in Thailand registering with a Thai phone number as of five minutes ago.  I have wanted to get a Revolut account for about four years now and I try every week in case it has been introduced...it hasn't.  

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That does not work because Revolut is not yet available in Thailand!   This is what happens...

(1)   Enter a Thai phone number and get 'Success'!...

(2)  Returns to the previous home page again with three options, 'Log in', 'Sign up' or 'Get a free account'.  Log in (after receiving 'Success!') asks for a 4-digit passcode that hasn't been provided, Sign up obviously goes back to (1) as does 'Get a free account'

Revolut is not yet available in Thailand registering with a Thai phone number as of five minutes ago.  I have wanted to get a Revolut account for about four years now and I try every week in case it has been introduced...it hasn't.  

Does it maybe work with a UK mobile number, as provided by GiffGaff?

That might also help with receiving an OTP via SMS.

Edited by doctormann

12 hours ago, bradiston said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

If you give a UK address, you can use a Thai number.

Not given that option on the app (I don't have a UK address anyway) as the service is "not available in my region"!  Neither is that option offered from Revolut's website, only a request for the Thai phone number which responds with 'Success!' and returns to the home page to log in but they do not provide the required 4-digit log in passcode.