UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, but that's not the OP's situation.

If you need a UK residential address and you are UK passport holder and you live abroad.

residential addresses, the best option is probably to ask a friend or family member and even offer to pay them what you would pay a virtual mailbox company (typically £10-20 a month). What is this? Of course, it's not an option for everyone.

• Thanks 1

I opened an N26 Internet-Bank account from Thailand, and as Internet-Banks do not have branche-offices, you just need your passport to make an account.  N26 is EU-based so it will thus not be possible to do this as Uk citizen, but REVOLUT has largely the same benefits as N26 and an account can be opened by a UK citizen irrespective of where you are living.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Good question?

You could be living with a relative, partner, wife etc and they have the utility bills and council tax bills in their name?

Question is do you need to be a 'resident' of the UK? Why would the bank care providing you have a UK address?

If it affects me the 2 private pensions I get will only pay into a UK bank I will get them to pay them pp into my sons UK bank account, don't see why they can't do that. 

Same for me, Barclays will close my account in a few months, I think they said end of June. I do have offshore accounts with Lloyds and Santander but I will lose the debit card I held with Barclays. Not used the card a lot but it's useful to have just in case.

27 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Good question?

You could be living with a relative, partner, wife etc and they have the utility bills and council tax bills in their name?

Question is do you need to be a 'resident' of the UK? Why would the bank care providing you have a UK address?

Intrinsically the UK bank probably doesn't care. However, the UK banks need to stay onside with the US banking's AMLO and FATCA rules and laws. Not doing so risks them being barred from a whole lot of international banking procedures similar to what they've collectively done to Vlad and his gang.

• Like 1

Happened to a friend of mine here. Took a month for the letter to arrive, leaving a month to sort it out. He's in his 80's and ill so could not fly home.

Fortunately, I managed to help set him up with a TWise Bank Account in London which we then arranged for his pensions to be paid into!!

I took the case up with the Banking Ombudsman but his Bank lied about 2 certain letters which were not sent and the Ombudsmans's 'investigator' believed them. No surprise there!!!????????????????????????????????

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i closed mine, far from flawless 

Mine works flawlessly. I transfer funds from my DKB account in Berlin to Revolut and never had issues from day 1 of having the account. I also top it up with my Miles & More card, earning me miles for such transactions.

If it doesn't work flawlessly for others, there must be a reason. Money launderers come to my mind. Fraudsters hiding here in Thailand. Dodgy/fishy source of funds. 

• Haha 2

A bank is threatening to close an account and people advise them to commit fraud to fix the issue. Unbelievable.

I would contact the bank and ask if it is ok to use a family members address as a correspondence address in the UK. If the issue is purely that they are not a permanent resident in the UK look into offshore banks.

Edited by alanrchase
Spelling

Golden rule for expats never tell the bank or government where you are maintain a Doctors UK phone number a trust worthy address and never use your UK bank cards here (top tip) from Metro bank manager use a wise or pre paid card and your life will be near to normal ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Mine works flawlessly. I transfer funds from my DKB account in Berlin to Revolut and never had issues from day 1 of having the account. I also top it up with my Miles & More card, earning me miles for such transactions.

If it doesn't work flawlessly for others, there must be a reason. Money launderers come to my mind. Fraudsters hiding here in Thailand. Dodgy/fishy source of funds. 

The exchange rate used wasn't flawless, basically hidden charges in the spread at the weekend as Thai baht was deemed to be a volatile currency like ruble. It's hidden in the small print if you look hard enough. Maybe they've removed it but unlikely

59 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Good question?

Would the local authorities ask for the names of all adults living at any one address? Or just the number of adults in order to assess the Council Tax Bill?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not available in Thailand, so it doesn't work that flawlessly!.

It's true. You have to use a UK or some address from the list of countries they have. Thailand is not in it. Why isn't Thailand listed? Dunno. But can't see them checking you actually live there.

Edited by bradiston
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Would the local authorities ask for the names of all adults living at any one address? Or just the number of adults in order to assess the Council Tax Bill?

They (local district council) ask annually who (name) is living at each address and then if that person is not on the electoral register will write to them directly on that issue.

16 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If your expat and using say a families address they will put you on the vote register list. 

As for council tax more than 2 adult no more council tax has to be paid.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

If not, she could set up a Wise multi currency account which gives a UK sort cde and account number and can be used to receive her UK income.

Tried that and failed 2, private pension companies refused to deposit my pensions into Wise, one gave the excuse that Wise was not a bank, only a finance house and as such not covered by banking deposit protection(s).

3 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Don’t Barclays offer offshore accounts?Im pretty sure that Lloyds do ,as I will be in this position soon and I’m sure that this was an option for me with Lloyds 

Lloyds do, I've got one. No problems for years but are asking for a Tax ID and Tax Residency Certificate on my last few paper monthly statements, in saying that haven't received one since November last.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Nothing to do with Brexit unless you"re a rabid Remainer. Happened to me ages ago, so I gave them my son in law's address. He forwards any important stuff, cards etc.

"Happened to me ages ago". Try doing it now. Money laundering laws have really tightened since 2020.

It definitely is to do with Brexit. That's why the entitled, monied elite lied through their teeth to get Brexit over the line before EU passed laws to reign in off shore tax avoidance.

• Sad 1

I ran into the same issue with my American bank. As they found out I lived in Thailand, so my account was closed. To solve my problem, I went back to the US and went to my sister's house. She added my name to her Utility bill and I registered with the local voting office and with the VA. All with my sister's address. After a week everyone updated their systems, so I was then able to print up proof of my new USA address. Went to a new bank, showed proof of address and I was able to open an account. then had my social security and pension money sent directly to my new bank account. I returned to Thailand. Now every month I just transfer my money to my Thai bank. Been doing it for over 8 years with no issues at all. As everyone thinks I live in the USA. I went one more step and purchase a "Magic Jack" unit which gave me a phone number for the city that my sister lives in. So through the internet, if anyone in the USA calls me on that phone number it rings here in Thailand. Either on my lap top or on my Thai cell phone.

Caller id shows that I am in the USA. So I can talk to any bank rep and they think I am local.  Of course this is the route I took to solve my problem. But as stated by other people, there are different ways to fix your problem too.

Edited by Crazy Noobie
spelling

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

Change to HSBC Bank. I opened an account when I moved to Thailand, never had any issues 

I assume this wasn't last week. Have you looked at HSBC's new account signup rules lately? The only fast-track option is if you already have an account with them. Otherwise, you need to be a walk-in, prove-where-you-live sort of applicant. In a similar vein, those who think they can simply open an account at the Isle of Man or Channel Island branch of their existing mainland UK bank are in for a surprise. Their rules have changed too and you need to be resident in those domiciles to qualify. Luckily, the accounts of those who opened UK offshore accounts before the rule changes are grandfathered (for now) but they won't allow these existing customers to open a new account there.

• Like 2