Bungee jump given clean bill of health after Hong Kong tourist "damaged Thai tourism" by going to foreign media

webfact

damaged thai tourism? how about the person who expected to be sprung backward and ended up in the water? if that had happened to me, in addition of the pittance they paid, they would have had to buy me a new pair of skivvies! I can't imagine bungee jumping expecting to be sprung up and then hitting the water! not going anywhere near that place!

On 3/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, webfact said:

The authorities checked everything and decided that the operation was all up to standard.

The line broke.  So lack of safety measures is "up to standard?"
This Is (Amazing) Thailand - TIT.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, spidermike007 said:

The tourist did nothing to harm Thai tourism. His revelations about the lack of maintenance is what hurt tourism. Let's get our facts straight, and be man enough to stop deflecting blame. 

If he would have said anything in Thailand he would have been facing years in prison.

the Hong Kong tourist who went to the media in his homeland after a bungee cord broke in Pattaya had damaged Thai tourism.

The accident occurred on February 24th but has only just come to light.

Yesterday representatives from the Chonburi tourism office, civil engineers and the Pattaya tourist police finally went to investigate.

Yes, of course, it was the complaining tourist that hurt tourism, not the incident itself.  TIT!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, connda said:

If he would have said anything in Thailand he would have been facing years in prison.

Isn't that the very definition of a military dictatorship, fascism or extreme oppression? 

Out with the army goons. Can't wait for Thaksin to kick some very old butt, and humiliate the regressive, and toxic numnuts. 

damaged Thai tourism

It is now time to discuss what exactly is 'damage'. I don't know of anyone watching the video cancel their vacation to Thailand. A clever few may well have 2nd thoughts about bungy jumping. But those probably won't bungy jump anywhere else either. The video didn't make me not want to visit Thailand; it did make me wonder who was holding his beer though.

• Like 1

There are ways to maintain things that can be worn  “with no  visible damage”

When were the cords  purchased? What is the service life?  Do they regular need washing to get the salt off? We’re they left to rot in baking sun for 2 years during covid?

Obviously the only problem as all documents were in order was a foreigner damaging tourism, for not being killed and threatening running his mouth to media outlets. 

Just charge him with some defamation crime next time he comes to Phuket 

There are ways to maintain things that can be worn  “with no  visible damage”

When were the cords  purchased? What is the service life?  Do they regular need washing to get the salt off? We’re they left to rot in baking sun for 2 years during covid?

Obviously the only problem as all documents were in order was a foreigner damaging tourism, for not being killed and threatening running his mouth to media outlets. 

Just charge him with some defamation crime next time he comes to Phuket 

Yes it was only the cord that snapped. Good thing the water was deep enough.

I seen one that was over a river. The cord snapped, the person hit the fast water

and his body was found further down the river.  Bungee jumping is not for all of us.

On 3/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, connda said:

Indeed.

Incidents like this should result in the business facing a proper investigation by health and safety authorities, criminal charges for the owner if warranted, closure of the business if necessary and court ordered compensation for the victim after civil action.

The question that is never asked here is, was the business negligent? Were they responsible for this happening due to their negligence?

It's stuff like this that clearly demonstrates how far behind Thailand actually is when it comes to occupational health and safety, training and competence and safety culture in general.

If I were a betting man I would wager that there were insufficient health and safety systems in place to stop this occurring, which really would indicate this business should not be operating.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"The authorities checked everything and decided that the operation was all up to standard.

It was decided that the cord had broken perhaps due to wear that could not be ascertained with the naked eye."

I am really hoping the same guys do not check aircraft?????

Joking aside, if the bungee cord broke there must have been a problem? or am I missing something?

The problem was that the bungee had one too many bungees....

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 3:01 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Good luck to all the other bungee jumping enterprises in the kingdom, going to need it.

Good luck to all the other bungee jumpers in the Kingdom. Going to need it.

• Thumbs Up 1