Urgent cardiologist needed for old mate

aussienam

If the guy values his life he should get on a plane and in 1 day he is back in the motherland and can subsequently probably get better treatment there

If he is past that stage and doesnt care then I suppose he belongs here with other farang in the same situation. 

I cant be bothered scrolling up and reading thru this drama but it sounds as if he should get a CTA scan on the heart to assess the blockages and take things from there. 

If a go fund me page is set up please provide a link to all posters in this thread. Maybe we can all pitch in 

3 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

I cant be bothered scrolling up and reading thru this drama but it sounds as if he should get a CTA scan on the heart to assess the blockages and take things from there. 

It is entirely unclear what the nature of his prior cardiac history and current problem are. Absolutely no details have been forthcoming. The OP is not the patient but rather a friend or acquaintance.

So we don't know if it is a conduction problem (as suggested by talk initially of a low heart rate), ischemic CAD, a valve problem or what .... and each of those are quite different.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is entirely unclear what the nature of his prior cardiac history and current problem are. Absolutely no details have been forthcoming. The OP is not the patient but rather a friend or acquaintance.

So we don't know if it is a conduction problem (as suggested by talk initially of a low heart rate), ischemic CAD, a valve problem or what .... and each of those are quite different.

They probably don't know yet.

I have been to low cost facilities before and what they typically do is run anything that is the most time and cost effective (usually lab and blood work because they get paid for all the tests from just one quick blood draw), rush the appointment, then require many additional appointments for each future thing (to get paid for each office visit probably).

In other words, the patient becomes a product, is always having to make trips in for every little bit of info or repeated tests that could have been done on the same day. It's very frustrating. Add to that the uncanny ability of the physician you are seeing to retire suddenly which always seems to happen.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They probably don't know yet.

I have been to low cost facilities before and what they typically do is run anything that is the most time and cost effective (usually lab and blood work because they get paid for all the tests from just one quick blood draw), rush the appointment, then require many additional appointments for each future thing (to get paid for each office visit probably).

In other words, the patient becomes a product, is always having to make trips in for every little bit of info or repeated tests that could have been done on the same day. It's very frustrating. Add to that the uncanny ability of the physician you are seeing to retire suddenly which always seems to happen.

This is not at all an accurate description of what occurs in Thai government facilities (except for the part about needing multiple visits .. but that is due to red tape and high patient load not a profit motive).

Government hospitals do nto make a profit or think in those terms. They are government subsided and always run at a loss.

Each visit at the hospital OP went to is 50 baht (free for most Thais). No one is trying to make money by maximizing number of those visits. On the contrary it would be in hospital's interest to have fewer visits.

The OP's friend reportedly has a  history of heart problems which implies a diagnosis was made in the past, What, we do nto know. And whatever it was, might or might not be the current problem.

As he never saw the cardiologist, in fact apparently did nothing but register, see intake doctor and then get an EKG, obviously no diagnosis yet. The EKG has not even been read by a cardiologist. 

It is possible to take a whole day just for registration, intake and EKG especially if did nto arrive very early morning. We do not know if OP simply walked out, or was given cardio appt for another day and just refused to go back for it. Either way, an extremely bad move on his part. The initial registration and intake is the hardest and most time consuming, things get much easier after that as one is already i nthe system and the relavent service (cardio in his case) and coming by appointment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is not at all an accurate description of what occurs in Thai government facilities (except for the part about needing multiple visits .. but that is due to red tape and high patient load not a profit motive).

Government hospitals do nto make a profit or think in those terms. They are government subsided and always run at a loss.

Each visit at the hospital OP went to is 50 baht. No one is trying to make money by maximizing number of visits.

The OP's friend reportedly has a  history of heart problems which implies a diagnosis was made in the past, What, we do nto know. And whatever it was, might or might not be the current problem.

As he never saw the cardiologist, in fact apparently did nothing but register, see intake doctor and then get an EKG, obviously no diagnosis yet. The EKG has not even been read by a cardiologist. 

It is possible to take a whole day just for registration, intake and EKG especially if did nto arrive very early morning. We do not know if OP simply walked out, or was given cardio appt for another day and just refused to go back for it. Either way, an extremely bad move on his part. The initial registration and intake is the hardest and most time consuming, things get much easier after that as one is already i nthe system and the relavent service (cardio in his case) and coming by appointment.

Ok, my post was from the USA medical system experience. Looking forwards to updates on what happens with the old mate.

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Ok, my post was from the USA medical system experience. Looking forwards to updates on what happens with the old mate.

There is not the remotest similiarity between low cost private US medical services and services in Thai public hospitals (or public hospitals anywhere else for that matter).

Problem seems to be that OP's friend is unwilling to put up with the challenges and inconveniences of public hospitals yet cannot afford private care.  Something is going to have to give, and if he can't change his attitude, it may be his life.

Return to UK is also not impossible (unless he is unfit medically to fly), contrary to what the man has firmly convinced himself. But it does take some arranging to manage and with his attitude that is a non-starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There is not the remotest similiarity between low cost private US medical services and services in Thai public hospitals (or public hospitals anywhere else for that matter).

Problem seems to be that OP's friend is unwilling to put up with the challenges and inconveniences of public hospitals yet cannot afford private care.  Something is going to have to give, and if he can't change his attitude, it may be his life.

Return to UK is also not impossible (unless he is unfit medically to fly), contrary to what the man has firmly convinced himself. But it does take some arranging to manage and with his attitude that is a non-starter.

Thanks Sheryl for your extensive input to this post.  

Agree on your points.  

I was told by my friend that he gave up seeing a cardiologist on the day as he was physically suffering (dizzy/faint spells, very high blood pressure symptoms) and was getting very stressed to the point of fearing a heart attack.  His coping abilities seem very low. 

His partner stayed with him but she's not Thai (cannot read Thai but can speak some of it) and paperwork was also getting confusing and stressful.  He's very frail. It appeared he could not see the cardiologist on the day after long hours waiting.  Travelling distances seems to be a stressful ordeal and therefore why he's now considering local again (Jomtien), to avoid what he obviously felt was an overwhelming ordeal to go through again. 

The gentleman is considerably old, has a degree of cognitive decline added to it too, which includes considerable confusion.  Logical reasoning that you and me see as obvious isn't as clear for people with these issues.  I have a parent just like this. 

In respect to ECG report, what was relayed to me I expressed in my words and his general summary.  I never saw the report. So low heart 'function' or whatever terms used may not be completely accurate.  I will see if he us willing to give me a copy of the report. 

Yes, returning to the UK I feel is the most sensible option, even with the accommodation issues, but this is overwhelming and insurmountable for my friend.   

What can we do?  I think this thread has exhausted options for now and hoping my friend will get to see a cardiologist soon and get some type of treatment (if deemed suitable). I don't want to bash his decison making.  Not my role and will respect what he decides. 

27 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Thanks Sheryl for your extensive input to this post.  

Agree on your points.  

I was told by my friend that he gave up seeing a cardiologist on the day as he was physically suffering (dizzy/faint spells, very high blood pressure symptoms) and was getting very stressed to the point of fearing a heart attack.  His coping abilities seem very low. 

His partner stayed with him but she's not Thai (cannot read Thai but can speak some of it) and paperwork was also getting confusing and stressful.  He's very frail. It appeared he could not see the cardiologist on the day after long hours waiting.  Travelling distances seems to be a stressful ordeal and therefore why he's now considering local again (Jomtien), to avoid what he obviously felt was an overwhelming ordeal to go through again. 

The gentleman is considerably old, has a degree of cognitive decline added to it too, which includes considerable confusion.  Logical reasoning that you and me see as obvious isn't as clear for people with these issues.  I have a parent just like this. 

In respect to ECG report, what was relayed to me I expressed in my words and his general summary.  I never saw the report. So low heart 'function' or whatever terms used may not be completely accurate.  I will see if he us willing to give me a copy of the report. 

Yes, returning to the UK I feel is the most sensible option, even with the accommodation issues, but this is overwhelming and insurmountable for my friend.   

What can we do?  I think this thread has exhausted options for now and hoping my friend will get to see a cardiologist soon and get some type of treatment (if deemed suitable). I don't want to bash his decison making.  Not my role and will respect what he decides. 

Do post (or if you prefer; PM me) the ECG as from that I may be able to tell if any point in trying Jomtien.

A shame he refuses to go back to the Red Cross hospital as it is nowhere near as difficulf on subsequent visits. First visit is always the worst and most confusing. 

• Thanks 1