Two-part (activated) cyanoacrylate adhesive - where?

Crossy

5 minutes ago, Encid said:

Would a 2-part epoxy product work?

Not really, it needs to be able to bond fairly rapidly (10-20 seconds) and be of low viscosity to flow into a very thin joint face.

Regular cyano works, but it's just a tad too fast, need just a little adjustment time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

AliExpress

CB9B8EAD-9E18-499E-8BBE-731521FCB1DF.thumb.jpeg.d7443fd108ae33cb5f23bb0f9335281c.jpeg 

I have never seen a 2 part cyanoacrylate in any shop I’ve been to

The cyanoacrylate sets within 10 seconds, any epoxy takes minutes 

Yeah, I found the same stuff on Ali (shipping from Turkey).

The lower cost versions don't ship here possibly due to Hazchem issues ???? 

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/homemade-ca-glue-accelerator/

Or dry fit the parts and use a toothpick to dribble the CA into the crack. Capillary action does the rest.

The problem is I don't have the "slow" cyano, the stuff I have is the "instant" variety. Now if someone has a link to a local source of the slow stuff ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The problem is I don't have the "slow" cyano, the stuff I have is the "instant" variety. Now if someone has a link to a local source of the slow stuff ...

OK but surely the reason for using CA is that it is fast. Otherwise you could use epoxy? Minutes not seconds.

Depending on the material being glued.

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

OK but surely the reason for using CA is that it is fast. Otherwise you could use epoxy? Minutes not seconds.

Depending on the material being glued.

The application requires a low-viscosity adhesive (so it will wick into the joint) that cures rapidly (glued area is quite large but the bond thickness is very small) whilst allowing a little "adjustment" time.

The regular one-part cyano is just a little too quick, I need 10-20 seconds of wriggle time before it grabs.

• Like 1

Thicker CA glue has a longer bonding time. But yes not as good at wicking.

Loctite has CA glues with set times ranging from 5 to 45 seconds. Loctite 406 with a set time of 30 seconds might be the crack? https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/th/en/product/instant-adhesives/loctite_406.html

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Crossy. Have you tried ordering from Amazon US store? 

In stock there, and look like choice of viscosities.

I often order stuff from there rather than UK as both more and different choices.

https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-2P-10-Industrial-Cyanoacrylate-Separately/dp/B09N7QJ2C3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FBYCGLM7M0B6&keywords=two+part+cyanoacrylate+glue&qid=1679978429&sprefix=two+part+cyanoacr%2Caps%2C410&sr=8-3

Edited by phetphet

20 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Thicker CA glue has a longer bonding time. But yes not as good at wicking.

Loctite has CA glues with set times ranging from 5 to 45 seconds. Loctite 406 with a set time of 30 seconds might be the crack? https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/th/en/product/instant-adhesives/loctite_406.html

Bingo. Give the man a prize ???? 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/loctite-495-401-406-ca-20-g-super-bonder-instant-adhesive-loctite495-loctite401-loctite406-tss-i304242164-s14161550130.html

image.png.d64fe6ca28cbf8321504ea8838bf74e7.png

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Loctite 406 is on Lazada from Samut Prakan. But it is not instant. 30 Secs.

It's actually ideal.

The "instant gratification" was aimed at getting it "instantly".

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I owe it all to slot car racing. A bit geeky but has its uses. Gave up some years ago when my neighbour with the track moved.

My Uncle Phil (mum's brother) now sadly long departed was an avid slot-car man.

Small Scalextric size stuff in his garage, 4 lane DIY track from hardboard and foil strips.

In summer we raced 1/24 (or something like that) cars on an outdoor track, faster and more spectacular on (OK, coming off at) the corners.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Amazon will not ship that to Thailand, probably because of the spray can

I think they will. For a start it's not in a spray can. Just a squeeze bottle. 

Also see the following copy and paste. Anyway, not all the different ones are in stock. looks like the thin stuff is out of stock.

$26.00  ($13.00 / Count)

No Import Fees Deposit & $9.72 Shipping to Thailand Details  

Delivery Wednesday, April 5

You could try this.  Put the parts and regular super glue in the fridge, move to an open freezer (quickly so the parts can’t condensate), and do your glueing in there. It’ll make the curing go considerably slower. After being done move them back to the closed fridge quickly and let it cure in there slowly. 

32 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think they will. For a start it's not in a spray can. Just a squeeze bottle. 

Also see the following copy and paste. Anyway, not all the different ones are in stock. looks like the thin stuff is out of stock.

$26.00  ($13.00 / Count)

No Import Fees Deposit & $9.72 Shipping to Thailand Details  

Delivery Wednesday, April 5

All the 2 part CA glue have seen have a spray activator so that is where the problem arrives. Also I see no information apart from price in your post.

Edited by sometimewoodworker