Does landlord( home owner) return the deposit at the time you move out?

Not unless they come in and inspect the entire premises, and then confirm there are no over due bills for the water, power etc.....

It usually takes a little while, and most time they will deduct some of the monies for a deep cleaning prior to re-renting it out.  It was only a few thousand baht in my experience.  Some folks have never had it returned. Some use it as the last months rent and bounce.

Same as every landlord in every country ... maybe

why do people think TH is any different ?

mind boggling ... OK, not really, if asking...

...nuff said

apologies to OP, IF this is or will be the first place you've ever leased, worldwide.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

Before buying we moved 3 times over 10 years....Each time we received our money back after inspections.....The 3rd time we rightfully shouldn't have....Our lease was 3 years & we were there only 1.5 years (we bought our own place)....The owner returned about 75% of the deposit, which was 75% more than we were entitled to....

I found they don't like to return deposit. As they spent the extra money... I paid the last month as I thought this was the way to do it and get deposit back .. friends told me not to pay last month rent... I should have listened to them... How ever I did  manage to get some furniture from him at a good price in return for him not having any money to pay me..

If you and your landlord dont get along then you should just stop paying the rent and let him have the deposit that way. By the time you move out you lose nothing. We had to do that once bc the landlord went a bit weird on us. Lease Contracts that are not registered at the land office are not worth the paper they are written on. 

9 minutes ago, K2938 said:

You mean they are not legally enforceable?

Who would bother enforcing it in the court for such a small amount. Huge court costs and delays. I know a landlord who has many properties. He calls the so called contracts with his tenants 'gentlemens agreements'. Most people stick to them but some dont. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Before buying we moved 3 times over 10 years....Each time we received our money back after inspections.....The 3rd time we rightfully shouldn't have....Our lease was 3 years & we were there only 1.5 years (we bought our own place)....The owner returned about 75% of the deposit, which was 75% more than we were entitled to....

The only serioulsy impaired deposit deduction was when my wife relocated while I was overseas and she couldn't find the spare keys (we had re-keyed/locked the place on move-in). Fair enough as the landlord would need to change all the locks again. Otherwise, the deposits were returned in full after waiting for the last water and electric bills to come in. NB: make a note of meter readings when you vacate and turn off the breaker and stopvalve as it makes the final reconciliation on what you actually used much easier. I moved out at 5 am and send pictures of the meter readings to the landlord.

Maybe business leases are different but my wife had an open-ended lease on land for her restaurant that was going gangbusters back in 2016. Two things happened in quick succession that changed our plans around 10 months into the venture. The first was Prayuth's second round of return happiness to the people when he handed out random national holidays willy nilly. By summer of 2017, the locals realised that unpaid holidays meant unpaid bills and a retreat from dining out...and a surge in CP microwave dinner sales from 7-eleven! The second was her getting pregnant (my bad).

The lease did have a clause that stated the deposit would only be refunded in full if a minimum of 12 months had been paid. Anything less and it would be a total forfeit. He was a great landlord, young Thai chap, UK educated and running the family business. We toughed it out for 6 weeks while selling off furniture, fittingsd and getting rid of staff and got the paid whole enchilada when we took the signs down, folded the tent and moved back to Isaan.