Is Thailand really immune to the banking turmoil in the US and Europe?

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

You don't seem to understand the point. The banking loan model changed after the crash, prior to 1997, a majority of consumer lending was in the hands of loan companies, nearly all of which were closed down after the crash and bank lending transferred to the banks, under the regulated auspices and control of BOT.

I was not asking for a point to be made, I only asked how many banks closed. 

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

I regret I don't understand your comment about NPL funding. Exactly why non performing loans would be founded by a rich investor escapes me.

I did not say rich investor, I said rich investors, the kind that own and invest in finance companies. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Be you own bank, buy gold and silver.

started buy 15 years ago, price 8000 baht per baht of gold, It is now 32, 000 for one baht of gold. 400 percent increase. That is a 26 percent average increase year on year. And its looking like it will only get better

8 minutes ago, Rulie said:

started buy 15 years ago, price 8000 baht per baht of gold, It is now 32, 000 for one baht of gold. 400 percent increase. That is a 26 percent average increase year on year. And its looking like it will only get better

No it wasn't! 15 years ago, in 2009, gold in Thailand sold for about THB 30k per ounce. One Baht of gold is equal to approx. 0.47 troy ounce, ergo, one Baht of gold was worth about THB 14k. I recall buying one baht of gold in 2008 and it cost about THB 13,300.

https://goldprice.org/gold-price-charts/all-data-gold-price-history-in-thai-baht-per-ounce

2 hours ago, Rulie said:

A 26% average increase year on year would mean your 8,000 investment would be worth 256,240 not 30,000