Brit in intensive care after Thailand moped crash as family can't afford to get him home

webfact

2 hours ago, BangkokKnights said:

There is barely a scratch on him. 

Never trust the British. It could be a staged photo.

200,000 pounds.?

Get lost.

Never trust the British!  Utter rubbish!
When you crash a motorcycle, you will have other injuries. Road rashes, cuts and bruises or broken bones etc, some severe, some not so. 
The photo only shows his face

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

the t and cs always state what you are covered for but they dont read em, as skiers are always being turned down for injuries and bungee jumpers have no chance of getting cover... read the terms and conditions which is usually a small booklet

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Surprised. Rarely see anyone ride around Bangkok without a helmet. Unless it was a quiet area.

A lot more helmets in bkk than elsewhere but no helmet is still common even on Sukhumvit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Publicise what happened to him and hope that some people take note of the possible consequences and do not opt to join the idiots club.

Saying "idiots club" is going too far. Millions of people ride motorbike every day in Thailand. What happened to him could be a legit accident

Doesn't matter if it was a "legit accident" (whatever that is) or an non-legit accident, if he wasn't wearing a helmet he's still a member of the idiots club by definition.

• Like 1

Remembered reading sometimes back someone needed 250000 pounds, is it the same case.

Thailand should follow Bali example no rental of bikes to foreigners. Problem solved and don't know what kInd of #fundme will follow then...

11 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

I feel really sorry for this guy and his family but you have to be insured and follow the rules. He's 24yo, not a kid.

I begin to wonder about this. Twenty somethings and thirty somethings seem to generate most of these stories. I really do wonder if they are mature enough to travel unaccompanied to places such as Thailand. Especially coming from the West, are their survival and danger instincts still intact? They're of legal age, so you can't stop them. But parents, I think, should still give them a long talking to and perhaps dissuade the more foolhardy. 

Edited by John Drake
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Where is the proof of him wearing or not wearing the appropriate helmet.

Insurance Companies are the biggest legalised Scam on our planet.

They show no mercy.

It seems that the insurance company do not believe he was wearing a helmet?

"they believe he was not wearing a helmet at the time."

So they cannot prove or disprove he was? So it appears there was no accident report etc?

So yes they show no mercy? They are in business to make a profit like any business.

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit

28 minutes ago, twizzian said:

Never trust the British!  Utter rubbish!
When you crash a motorcycle, you will have other injuries. Road rashes, cuts and bruises or broken bones etc, some severe, some not so. 
The photo only shows his face

There is pics of his head on other news sources.

Coupla scrapes and bruises on the face but the rest of the head is fine.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yet another one. Terrible accident. No helmet. Skull fracture. No insurance. Giant hospital bills. Go Fund Me. 

Do you guys even bother to read the posts or do you have a comment already prepared for each tragedy?

He did have insurance but there's a clause in it preventing the pay out for *repatriation* if the insured can be found to be partially at fault.

He may have worn one or he may not but none of us will answer that question with 100% confidence, so not going to go there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I begin to wonder about this. Twenty somethings and thirty somethings seem to generate most of these stories. I really do wonder if they are mature enough to travel unaccompanied to places such as Thailand. Especially coming from the West, are their survival and danger instincts still intact? They're of legal age, so you can't stop them. But parents, I think, should still give them a long talking to and perhaps dissuade the more foolhardy. 

Gen Z.... think they know better and have had a soft upbringing.

Bring back the old days when parents could smack their kids when they did wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Where is the proof of him wearing or not wearing the appropriate helmet.

Insurance Companies are the biggest legalised Scam on our planet.

They show no mercy.

"Insurance Companies are the biggest legalised Scam on our planet".

Really?...

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/financial-adviser/5-startling-facts-about-insurance-payouts#:~:text=So how much do insurers,policies were accepted last year.

"Travel insurers paid over £1,042 per claim in 2019/20 and the claims acceptance rate fell to 83%".

https://www.abi.org.uk/data/

1 minute ago, Mr Dome said:

He did have insurance but there's a clause in it preventing the pay out for *repatriation* if the insured can be found to be partially at fault.

Which means he is uninsured for the accident that took place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

It seems that the insurance company do not believe he was wearing a helmet?

"they believe he was not wearing a helmet at the time."

So they cannot prove or disprove he was? So it appears there was no accident report etc?

So yes they show no mercy? They are in business to make a profit like any business.

Nobody seems to be putting any argument at all up that he was wearing a helmet. I would expect it to have been on or near his person had he had one. Doesn't seem the family is even arguing the point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the t and cs always state what you are covered for but they dont read em, as skiers are always being turned down for injuries and bungee jumpers have no chance of getting cover... read the terms and conditions which is usually a small booklet

Just had a look at an old policy and its not only winter sports that require an extra premium. The list is Golf cover (covering loss of equipment, hire of equipment and green fees), Business cover (covering business equipment, samples, money and replacing staff), Wedding cover (covering outfits, gifts, rings and photographer), Natural catastrophe cover (covering cancellation, being stranded, car parking, kennel fees and travel expenses to get home) and Cruise cover (covering missed port, cabin confinement and unused excursions).

Screenshot_20230404_103912.png

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would not ssy that.

It raises questions  of course  but is hardly probative. It is possible to sustain a skull fracture evn wearing a helmet if the force of impact is great enough.

If the insurance company's case rests solely on nature of his injuries they are on shaky ground IMO. 

Quite so, I recall Michael Schumacher, the racing driver who had an accident skiing, he was wearing a helmet and his head struck a rock, this was in 2013, he still has not recovered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Why can't it be the other way around? Why can't you go to get travel insurance and say: "I'm going to Thailand. I will be 1) riding a scooter, 2) be publicly intoxicated, 3) eat street food of dubious origins, 3) ride in a variety of water going craft, 4) go hang gliding, etc. Now, please cover me or tell me if you can't.

Well they probably will offer coverage for the right money.

• Like 1