U.S. passport delays may be four months long — and could get worse

This article: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/03/us-passport-delays-are-months-long-and-may-get-worse.html
...is painting a serious problem that can affect Americans wishing to continue residing in Thailand.

Note, of course, that during the time it takes to get a replacement US Visa, you will NO LONGER HAVE a valid US Visa, in your possession.

The bad-case scenario I'm picturing here is (as an example):
Your Retirement Extension expires on November 15, so you make an appointment with Immigration for renewal of your retirement Extension to meet on November 2, 2023.
In August, 2023, you happen to notice that your passport is expiring October 5, 2023, so you make an appointment to visit the US Embassy in Bangkok, on August 14, 2023.
At that appointment, you request a new renewed passport, pay all the fees, and then, as needed, you surrender your passport.
Thus begins the wait.

Say it took the full FOUR MONTHS for renewal (and how much time would be added on to mailing it to the USA, and getting it mailed back to Thailand, then getting MAILED TO YOUR HOME? This could add a month, easy, to the process)  So suppose you've got a FIVE MONTH DELAY, in getting a replacement valid American passport, but in the BEST CASE scenario of the delay being only FOUR months... that would put getting the replacement US Passport in Mid DECEMBER, 2023.

What exactly would happen if you show up at Immigration on your November 2 appointment, WITHOUT A PASSPORT?
(I actually have no idea if Immigration has some work-around for this scenario, as this LONG DELAY for new US Passports Replacement is a recent problem)

My POINT then, is that it behooves Americans to pay close attention to the expiration date on your passport, and schedule the Passport replacement procedure to where (in all cases of possible delay, taking into account this new CRAZY period of 4 month PLUS!) you will be meeting with Immigration with US Passport in hand.
This COULD mean requesting your replacement US Passport 6 or even 9 months ahead of the actual expiration date of the passport, so there's absolutely NO WAY this will interfere with meeting with Immigration.
This could require some clever planning, well in advance.

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Just visited the US Embassy site in Thailand - their FAQ still says:
Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to an Embassy or Consulate. It takes approximately two-weeks for a full-validity passport to be processed.

At any rate, take this article as a warning - plan well ahead ????

Specifically where does it say above?   You got a weblink?

My quick review of the US Embassy - Bangkok website shows below...see weblink and quote.  It says 4 to 5 weeks for a passport renewal....it "use" to say 2 to 3 weeks but as announced by the State Department, news articles, etc., the passport issue/renewal times have slowed for various reasons.  Probably manpower/contract funding issues.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

You may be eligible to renew your passport and/or change your surname on your passport by MAIL. This program is meant to save you time and travel expenses. It is easy, convenient, and secure. You can prepare your passport application package at any time and the process may take up to four to five weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail. If you are renewing your passport card by mail please expect six weeks to receive your replacement card.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Specifically where does it say above?   You got a weblink?

My review of the US Embassy - Bangkok show below...see weblink and quote

I did say the FAQ page which I quoted from the response to:
Question: How long does it take to have my passport issued? (answer)

Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to an Embassy or Consulate. It takes approximately two-weeks for a full-validity passport to be processed.

NOTE: I also cautioned that even though the website says 2 weeks, take the article as a warning and plan well ahead.

FAQ page is here:
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services-frequently-asked-questions/

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I did say the FAQ page which I quoted from the response to:
Question: How long does it take to have my passport issued? (answer)

NOTE: I also cautioned that even though the website says 2 weeks, take the article as a warning and plan well ahead.

FAQ page is here:
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services-frequently-asked-questions/

Thanks.  That FAQ has an outdated answer....surprised the embassy hasn't updated it to match the info in the main passport area and all the news reports where the State Department has announced longer passport processing times....even up to 10-13 weeks in some cases.  But fortunately passports processed from/thru overseas embassies usally get down faster.....3 to 4 weeks now although in other recent posts on the same subject a few folks are still getting renewed U.S. passports in 2 to 3 weeks.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

The US embassy in BKK received my application for a passport renewal on March 9th.  I am still waiting for my new passport.  The State Department website to check the application status currently says "Application status not available".

So, two or three, maybe four months.  The government encouraged people to get/renew passports when COVID-19 restrictions eased, and now the passport agency is overwhelmed.

• Thanks 1

Similar issue with Brit passport….talk of 15 weeks etc. Took mine to BKK and three weeks later it was ready. As someone said, in other countries quicker, probably because of the potential problems it could create and then a problem for the embassy etc. 

Besides just getting a yearly Visa Renewal without a passport, how do you show up for a 90 day checkin without  passport?  No matter how carefully you plan things if it is longer than 3 months it doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was a recent thread here (and it started with the same fallacy), within the last 30 days, regarding renewal times using the U.S. Embassy's mail-in (or appointment for drop-off) process.

The average seemed to be 15 real, working (no U.S. or Thai holidays) days, door-door.

The same results seem to be holding for the Facebook experiences I've seen documented in the last few months, three weeks.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Besides just getting a yearly Visa Renewal without a passport, how do you show up for a 90 day checkin without  passport?  No matter how carefully you plan things if it is longer than 3 months it doesn't matter.

When you apply to have your passport renewed, they let you keep your old passport. Once the new passport is ready for you,(however long it takes) at that time they take your old passport and punch holes in it to make it invalid. By being able to keep your old passport, you can still do your 90 day report, bank stuff and etc. But as others have said, you plan ahead of time and not wait until the last minute to renew your passport.

• Thanks 1

I am kinda freaking out here.  I am on my way today to get a 30 day extension from a visa exempt (VE expires April 10th).  Now that I have read this I am worried.  I agree with @khunjeff that these articles are about US citizens applying from within the US, not US citizens in a foreign country.  I planned to get 30 days and send in my passport for renewal all today.  Printed and fill out all the documents, paid the 130 USD, everything expect the return envelope with the payment. 

However, and shame on me for this, I didn't look at how many Thai holidays are coming up.  Even Songkran!  Dooooooh!

National holidays this month in Thailand equal at least a week starting tomorrow.  So that gives me maybe 3 weeks at best to get my passport back?  Then I am on overstay?  Maybe someone can help me with some questions.  I am based in Bangkok, btw (Nonthaburi immigration, actually)

1. Will I be on overstay if I can't leave the country due to having my passport mailed in while my new one is being processed?

2.  Does the Embassy really send the passport to USA, I was under the impression they did it right here in BKK?

3. My Passport is not near the expiration date, would I be better off making a border run to Vientiane or Savannakhet and getting a 60 day tourist visa to buy some time, and is this possible with only 4 empty pages in my passport? (Of course I have several with one or two little stamps in them).

Just now, keysersoze276 said:

I am kinda freaking out here.  I am on my way today to get a 30 day extension from a visa exempt (VE expires April 10th).  Now that I have read this I am worried.  I agree with @khunjeff that these articles are about US citizens applying from within the US, not US citizens in a foreign country.  I planned to get 30 days and send in my passport for renewal all today.  Printed and fill out all the documents, paid the 130 USD, everything expect the return envelope with the payment. 

However, and shame on me for this, I didn't look at how many Thai holidays are coming up.  Even Songkran!  Dooooooh!

National holidays this month in Thailand equal at least a week starting tomorrow.  So that gives me maybe 3 weeks at best to get my passport back?  Then I am on overstay?  Maybe someone can help me with some questions.  I am based in Bangkok, btw (Nonthaburi immigration, actually)

1. Will I be on overstay if I can't leave the country due to having my passport mailed in while my new one is being processed?

2.  Does the Embassy really send the passport to USA, I was under the impression they did it right here in BKK?

3. My Passport is not near the expiration date, would I be better off making a border run to Vientiane or Savannakhet and getting a 60 day tourist visa to buy some time, and is this possible with only 4 empty pages in my passport? (Of course I have several with one or two little stamps in them).

One more question, I am married to a Thai, could I possibly get a 60 or 90 day extension for visiting my wife (keeping in mind I am NOT currently on a non-O, times have been tough and i don't have 400k in a Thai bank

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

When you apply to have your passport renewed, they let you keep your old passport. Once the new passport is ready for you,(however long it takes) at that time they take your old passport and punch holes in it to make it invalid. By being able to keep your old passport, you can still do your 90 day report, bank stuff and etc. But as others have said, you plan ahead of time and not wait until the last minute to renew your passport.

Incorrect.   You mail your current/old passport in with your application.  See below info from Dept of State and US Embassy-Bangkok regarding passport renewal.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

image.png.1fab09a26cacdd6d0de78dba38f6912c.png

image.png.a69ca6dd7be9a9eb1a70e319437ccdaa.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 2

Only a fool would NOT renew his passport after 81/2 - 9 years
at $130 for 10 years you loose $13+,   Big F#@king deal

I have never had one more than 8 years< i'll renew in Nov 2023 as mine expires in Feb 2025
my year extension is due end of March 2024 so want new extension in new passport 

Passport process may take up to four to five weeks from the date we receive your application package to when you receive your new passport book by mail. There is no expedite service when applying for U.S. passport overseas.

When you apply to have your passport renewed, they let you keep your old passport. Once the new passport is ready for you,(however long it takes) at that time they take your old passport and punch holes in it to make it invalid. 

wrong

Step 4:  Current passport, Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.
NOTE: Your current passport will be cancelled and returned to you along with your new passport and a linkage letter to use with the Thai Immigration Bureau.

as to 90 day reports,just do it online>
it seems s omany make things more difficult than they really are

Edited by zzzzz
  • Haha 1

I mailed in my renewal application and current passport on February 28. Tracking shows it was received on March 1st. I waited 3 weeks called the embassy number, was told I could only email them with an inquiry. Emailed the embassy about the progress and received an auto reply that sent me back to their website and something called "navigator". Couldn't find anything there that answered my questions. So I emailed them 2 more times, receiving the same auto reply. Finally, yesterday someone email me with this response: "Hello,

Your passport was received on Mar 6 and processed on Mar 8.

The new passport is not yet arrived back to our office. When it is become available for a delivery, we will notify you by email with a tracking number for a package.

Regards,
KK
ACS Bangkok

It is now five full weeks and I have not received my passport. I was suppose to take an international flight this Sunday, April 9 that I now have to cancel, pay extra to reschedule. I also have to do a 90 day check soon. I've had to deal this the US Embassy before and never had any good resolutions. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Normally, that has meant that the embassy or consulate submits all of the application information (including photo) electronically on the day of application, and the passport is printed at a US passport center and sent back to the embassy by DHL or FedEx the same day (which is possible due to the time zone difference). The passport is received by the embassy within a few days, checked for errors, matched with the applicant's mailing envelope, and sent out, for a total processing time which is typically about two week

Here's my recent experience to corroborate the above scenario:

My old passport arrived at the US embassy on Monday of week 1. By end of week2 I checked for an update on travel state gov (or something to that effect) and there it said that my new passport had been mailed out on Friday of that week - from the passport center in the US and that it could take 10 business days to arrive at the embassy.

There was one holiday day in week 3. Then Wednesday of week 4 I got an email from US embassy saying that they were going to mail out my passport in the next 2 business days. It arrived 2 days later on Friday. Just to make sure there was no mistake, the embassy staff had cut out the address written by me on my "return mail" form that was included in the original application package, and pasted on as mailing address on the return package. They also returned the 2 photos I had included as extras, beside the one stapled to the application form.

From the date on the receipt included, it looks like the US embassy took a couple of days after receiving my application to really start processing. And as of Feb 2023 the whole process took 4 weeks .

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I didn't want to mail my passport in, as then I couldn't do my bank business. Plus I thought while you are in Thailand you are suppose to have your passport available at all times. Plus another reason is I don't trust the mailing system 100%. I felt a lot safer by dealing with the Embassy directly, since my passport is such an important document.

In my case at first I thought of going in to do it in person as well. In addition to all the reasons stated above, especially re the handling of the passport by whatever shipping courier, I was also fretting about not getting the right kind of photos. So I thought if I was there at the counter then I would know right away if something was not kosher, instead of waiting for an email to be informed about that later and the hassle of  whatever else needed to be done for the correction.

However last minute I chickened out and resorted to doing it by mail. I then went home and started kicking myself... Not only the moment my passport and I parted that opened ample opportunities for my mind to roam about what else to be fretted about (shipping glitches, etc.)  it also cost time and money for the mailing (600 baht via DHL, at the insistence of my other half) going to the bank for the bank drafts, and paying the renewal fees on line. In person all these items can be paid with hard cash.

If you read between the lines of what the US embassy saying about on-line passport renewal on their website, they did NOT say you can not renew in person. One additional bonus in this scenario if that the processing started the moment they print out your receipt. In my mail-in scenario, it  started a couple of days after the passport arrival.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Pib said:

IMO a person should never wait until 6 or less months before renewing their passport because some countries require at least 6 months left on a passport when traveling to that country AND you want to ensure you have your renewed passport in-hand well before any important event like an annual extension of stay.   Renew 9 to 12 months before especially when renewal can take numerous months.  Yes, I know, that effectively turns your 10 yr passport into a 9 year passport due to renewing around a year early, but at least it can prevent major problems like not having enough time left on the current passport. 

There is no time limit as to how early a person can renew their U.S. passport....you can renew it years before expiration if desired.  

Pay people a living wage so they don’t need to strike.similar problems in the uk too about to begin with strikes at uk passport offices. Staff there have had no pay rises for several years  and inflation etc eroding wages.

Hope this post and the ones above won’t lead to people looking for forged passports!

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Just did my 90 day with a photocopy of my PP as I wait to get my new PP,

did take out the 90 day paperwork from my PP before I sent it to BKK.

Is the passportstatus.state.gov website accurate? Consulate received my application 3 weeks ago. 1 week ago I emailed the consulate and they replied 

"Your application is well received and being in process.  Passport process may take up to 4 to 5 weeks. You should receive a separate notification email with package’s tracking number as soon as a new passport is ready to be mailed to your address."

But my application status is still unavailable on the status website.