Nato's border with Russia doubles as Finland joins

Social Media

I’ll bet old puttie a bit upset how’s that war you started working out for you you monster do you feel the wall’s closing in hummm….. his legacy will be that of abject failure I sincerely hope the Russian people but this monster paid asap make amends and rejoin the world!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

I must be missing something here, how can this be in Finland's interest?

Was Finland under some immediate threat, they lived next to the old USSR and Russia since the end of the cold war. There are existing treaties.

1) Now they are on the NATO hook for the 2% of GDP to NATO

2) With a NATO proxy war ongoing they have increased the risk they get dragged in.

3) there is a risk that an expanded NATO border with Russia is seen as an existential threat which could have consequences.

4) they just gave up some of their flexibility to make independent decisions about their national security/defense.

5) I don't even want to think about the additional consequences if Russia wins the US/NATO led proxy war in Ukraine, there will be some though

Yes, you are missing something; you are missing the obvious, in many ways.

2% of Finland's GDP is supposed to go to defense, and for that Finland gets a commitment that other countries with much larger militaries will come to Finland's defense if Putin or anyone else attacks. 

Finland obviously thinks membership in NATO is worth the compromises and commitments.  The fact that Putin is P.O.'d about it shows they made the right call.

NATO is not an existential threat to Russia.  NATO is an impediment to Putin's desire to expand the Russian empire. 

BTW:  Ukraine was in the old USSR and shared a border with Russia since the end of the cold war.  Ukraine's experience obviously motivated Finland and other country's to seek NATO membership.

Brave Finland will now be ready to storm the China beaches with her NATO colleagues when Big Protector will say so.

BTW  

How many NATO countries fought in Afghanistan?
At its height, the force was more than 130,000 strong with troops from 50 NATO and partner countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jayceenik said:

Brave Finland will now be ready to storm the China beaches with her NATO colleagues when Big Protector will say so.

BTW  

How many NATO countries fought in Afghanistan?
At its height, the force was more than 130,000 strong with troops from 50 NATO and partner countries.

Answer to first sentence/question:  Finland will be under no obligation to do so unless China attacks a NATO nation.

Regarding the rest; what's your point?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:58 AM, Tug said:

I’ll bet old puttie a bit upset how’s that war you started working out for you you monster do you feel the wall’s closing in hummm….. his legacy will be that of abject failure I sincerely hope the Russian people but this monster paid asap make amends and rejoin the world!

NATO surrounding Russian borders started this whole thing.

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

NATO surrounding Russian borders started this whole thing.

NATO is not a country, nations joined NATO to stop Russia invading them and who can blame them after what we have seen in Ukraine. The Russian mentality is we can take what we like and nobody can stop us, they are in for a rude awakening for sure.

• Like 1