Phuket officials remove sun lounge, umbrella operators from Kata Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

By Peter Roche

The visitors come, the vendors defy the rules and set up more cheap plastic sun lounges and umbrellas along the public beaches, then the officials come and clear them away… and the cycle repeats.

Phuket officials and military personnel removed a number of sun lounge and umbrella operators from Kata Beach yesterday, according to a The Phuket News report.

It’s understood that local officials were accompanied by members of the Royal Thai Army Region 4 base in Nakhon Sri Thammarat. The report goes on to say that the inspection was ordered by Phairot Srilamul, Mueang District Chief.

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/phuket-officials-remove-sun-lounge-umbrella-operators-from-kata-beach/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-04-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

Lack of governing is sad, as specially in these months, it would be nice to have a limited reasonable priced area(s) with sunbeds and sun protection.

Could be done by handing out X licenses per beach with a limit of X chairs. Then as soon illegal ones show up again, the licensed one ring the phone in minutes, its competition.

But then again, TIT, the licenses would be sold to one owner with 3 companies lol. So I guess it should be a lottery for 5-10 year term licenses, extensions possible for those who comply with all rules, paid taxes and had no serious complaints.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

I drove past Kata Beach for the first time in a year earlier this week and my initial thoughts were that the sunbed operators seemed to be taking up a lot more space than they're supposed to. Looks like I was right.

Anyway, the timing isn't bad for the operators as low season is starting to kick in.