So ...your on the downhill run

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Meanwhile in real life......................

Theories don't make me happy the way a pretty body next to me when I woke up did.

I can agree with that.......obviously it's all about experience but on the other hand the experience pales after an hour and after a day it's as if it never happened, joy from outside of the true self 'atman' (not the 'me') needs constant replenishment, atman is the pure joy of being, synonymous with Brahman, when not smothered by the 'me' and its constant need for labels of identification and its search for meaning in pleasure. Even in Christianity (and all major religions) there are hints of this, in the bible when God/Brahman/consciousness was asked for his name the answer, "I am that I am" was given, nothing else was needed, no labels, no reasons, atman is attributeless, self- illuminating, unrelated, omnipresent but it apparently needs the illusion of Maya to be aware of itself. Death of the 'me' is release and freedom for the atman (poorly translated as the soul, atman is Brahman/God/consciousness, there is only one absolute.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or why else are all leading sport performers young and not old?

No. Old ones abound but get no publicity.

the National Senior Games, held every other year, brings together remarkable older athletes, some of them in their nineties and beyond. The record for the hundred-meter dash for women ages one hundred and up is about forty-one seconds.

. . .

A small study of nine well-trained octogenarian endurance athletes (cross-country skiers) found that their average VO2 max was 38, versus 21 for a control group of untrained octogenarian men, a difference of more than 80 percent. That’s huge. The athletes had the aerobic capacity of people decades younger than them,[*3] while the men in the control group had declined so far that they were on the verge of losing their ability to live independently.

--Peter Attia, The Art and Science of Longevity

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newnative said:

I hate all birthdays ending in '0' but 70 is by far the worst of them, with 50 in second place.  

The rate of aging starts to accelerate around 70 and really picks up at 75. It'd be nice if it would stay on the same gradual slope as in previous decades--but no. So that's disappointing. But it means that the effort to slow the decline must remain a priority.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

The topic is about older people being on a downhill slide physically, and I've suggested a means to slow/reverse that slide.

Maintain a good long healthspan, slow the slide into morbidity to a shorter, steeper period towards the end of a probably longer lifespan. Fries wrote about compression of morbidity in 1980 and the theory has been affirmed and amplified over subsequent decades.

image.png.b73a48646ced853a50b2309edacadf0d.png

Fries, James F. “Aging, Natural Death, and the Compression of Morbidity.” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 303, no. 3, July 1980, pp. 130–35. DOI.org (Crossref), https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198007173030304.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Des1 said:

Mostly true. But a lot has to do with your level of physical activity over the years. I'm 67 (retired), always kept active , running, swimming, mountain biking etc. I run 10k events now, won a few trophies, but the big reward is being healthy. Never too late to get the body back in shape.

Do you think doing all that exercise in the Thailand smog is actually making you healthy? It's the one question I ask myself too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Do you think doing all that exercise in the Thailand smog is actually making you healthy? It's the one question I ask myself too.

Fair question. I think about it too. My activites in Thailand are limited to running. I will run in the gym on bad air days (like now). Running events I participate in are usually outside Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Des1 said:

Mostly true. But a lot has to do with your level of physical activity over the years. I'm 67 (retired), always kept active , running, swimming, mountain biking etc. I run 10k events now, won a few trophies, but the big reward is being healthy. Never too late to get the body back in shape.

Totally agree. I'm same age and also retired but the last time I excercised was at school sports day 1970. I hated it. Physical activity doesn't agree with me! Mrs complains that all I do is sit in a chair all day drinking tea/coffee and munching biscuits. I explain that's what I've always done and will continue. Whilst my vitals remain excellent and doctors say; 'You're healthier than I am' I can't see any problem. Unfortunately, I had an uncle who dropped dead twenty minutes after passing his Army medical. My Mother died from cancer 4 weeks after a medical assessment unit gave her the all clear. Vital signs may be an indication of general state of health but don't always reveal life threatening conditions IMHO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Gaming online playing video games can contribute to better memory and reflexes, and maybe the older we get, we should start of not already started. 

Yes! Gaming helps. I have several installed on my PC and play regularly.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sidjameson said:

I would think the alternative is worse.

Vigorous exercise, I do in the gym. HIIT keeps the cardio to 10 minutes of intervals.

Recent study on oldsters just came out.

In older adults, high intensity exercise (HIT) elicited similar benefits for oxygen uptake and blood pressure as moderate intensity activity, despite taking only half as long to perform.

Additionally, HIT resulted in improvements in working memory.

--High-intensity exercise shown to be beneficial for untrained older adults

I do a moderate intensity walk 3 times a week on the beach. The air's not as bad in Pattaya.

So far so good anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Physical activity doesn't agree with me!

Me neither. I do it anyway, like brushing my teeth. Without exercise, including strength training, there's no slowing the inevitable loss of muscle and strength--and then sarcopenia.

That's why you find most older guys shuffling or waddling or walking slowly. Telling indicator of frailty right there. It's amazing how dangerous falls are for the elderly. 30% might die within a year afterward.

Sarcopenia: What a Waste - proto.life

Often, by the time sarcopenia is diagnosed—if it ever is—a person’s abilities are so limited, and their complications so numerous, that it’s difficult to treat.  

“As you’re getting older and older, [gaining] muscle back is very difficult, almost impossible,” says Hans Dreyer, a University of Oregon muscle physiologist.

--https://proto.life/2022/12/sarcopenia-what-a-waste/

The good news is that even a little exercise goes far.

Keep in mind, increasing your VO2 max by any amount is going to improve your life, not only in terms of how long you live but also how well you live, today and in the future. Improving your VO2 max from the very bottom quartile to the quartile above (i.e., below average) is associated with almost a 50 percent reduction in all-cause mortality, as we saw earlier. I believe that almost anyone is capable of achieving this—and they should, because the alternative is so unacceptable. Once maximal oxygen consumption or VO2 max drops below a certain level (typically about 18 ml/kg/min in men, and 15 in women), it begins to threaten your ability to live on your own.

--Peter Attia, Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Vital signs may be an indication of general state of health but don't always reveal life threatening conditions IMHO.

True. They don't, and then they do, perhaps with surprising suddenness, a decade earlier than they might have. Seen how that works.

By the time some preventable underlying condition shows up on the usual routine tests, damage has been done. Now comes the effort to deal with, in your case, the symptoms, for a decade or more. Unfortunately, the meds for alleviating symptoms may make the condition worse. They may have side effects you may not be aware of, ignore, or simply excuse.

Vital signs are too basic. Need a full blood workup at least every two years--and know what the numbers mean, like the TG/HDL ratio. I do one yearly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

"Welcome to the rebellion, brotha"

There's a profitable blog or sub stack to be had here, since the old people who want to work out are many and the resources available to their unique needs are very few or non-existent.

There was a woman featured in New York Mag who makes huge money with a weight training site for women in their 40's. 

There's only one book for later age weight training available on Amazon, and it's confusingly laid out.

Googling on questions like rest times, you're always fighting through a sea of "it depends" when you're looking at site that's more about selling me supplements than giving me advice for free.

Most of sites skews younger, but then Senior-oriented sites go the other way and assume your on death's door and fit only for "chair yoga", like I saw on Better Call Saul.

Personal trainers in Thailand are more like activity pals. They correct your form and hold your iced tea. It's not individualized training, even by age, it's a very generic program from their computer.

They body-analyzed me, and then they never followed up on it, even with prompting. There's no explanation of concepts, even at the basic lifts and superset level.

Even in a western-oriented neighborhood ( I live in Nimman, Chiang Mai), there often a bit of a language barrier. They often don't know the English words for stuff like hypertrophy.

I signed up for 50 sessions! 34 down, 16 to try out with another trainer. On the plus side, it worked out to only 500 baht a session -and it did make me go.

Edited by LaosLover

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Vital signs are too basic. Need a full blood workup at least every two years--and know what the numbers mean, like the TG/HDL ratio. I do one yearly.

Bumrungrad has a kind of super HDL test they're offering, a deeper dive into which kinds of cholesterol are affecting you in various ways. 

Hype or for real?

I'm going to do genetic testing for cancer prevention and thought I'd add the test, along with one for heavy metals. Might as well toss it on the pile.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

There's a profitable blog or sub stack to be had here, since the old people who want to work out are many and the resources available to their unique needs are very few or non-existent.

There was a woman featured in New York Mag who makes huge money with a weight training site for women in their 40's. 

There's only one book for later age weight training available on Amazon, and it's confusingly laid out.

Googling on questions like rest times, you're always fighting through a sea of "it depends" when you're looking at site that's more about selling me supplements than giving me advice for free.

Most of sites skews younger, but then Senior-oriented sites go the other way and assume your on death's door and fit only for "chair yoga", like I saw on Better Call Saul.

Personal trainers in Thailand are more like activity pals. They correct your form and hold your iced tea. It's not individualized training, even by age, it's a very generic program from their computer.

They body-analyzed me, and then they never followed up on it, even with prompting. There's no explanation of concepts, even at the basic lifts and superset level.

Even in a western-oriented neighborhood ( I live in Nimman, Chiang Mai), there often a bit of a language barrier. They often don't know the English words for stuff like hypertrophy.

I signed up for 50 sessions! 34 down, 16 to try out with another trainer. On the plus side, it worked out to only 500 baht a session -and it did make me go.

So far I have not seen one PT in Thailand know what they are doing, or manage to make individual training programs, or can show and teach how to get in contact with the muscles targeted by doing the exercises correct. 

For most the gym is a social thing, get out and do something, where very few manage to put in the necessery effort for best results. Not saying lifting more heavy, more reps or more pulse, but get max results from their efforts put in the correct way, and also prevent injuries, as well threat old injuries. 

one thing to see it on youtube, but make it in reality is not as easy all the time, if do not have experienced qualified PT to correct you. 

What is the main cause of sarcopenia?

Causes include declines in hormones and numbers of neuromuscular junctions, increased inflammation, declines in activity, and inadequate nutrition. Newer molecular discoveries that may impact sarcopenia include alterations in mitochondrial biology, the angiotensin system, and apoptosis.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Meanwhile in real life......................

Theories don't make me happy the way a pretty body next to me when I woke up did.

This is true. My gf is very good looking. Just looking at her makes me smile.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Good post.

I've thought of creating a thread to relate what I've learned and give a list of resources. Most sites and advice are geared towards the money: young men with the dream of attracting babes. They'll buy anything.???? The methods are derived from Arnold bodybuilding. No wonder the eventual burnout and Dad bod.

But most people only know about that, if anything. Our old resident bodybuilding guru, recently injured I seem to recall, didn't actually know what fitness is.

So it's intimidating to think of all that time and effort to be expended in the gym. (Effective alternatives exist.) Not to mention a bit dangerous for seniors, for a number of reasons.

However, the (cough) ethos of the forum discourages such a post. All the arguing, hostility, dogmatic pronouncements, nitpicking, proud affirmations of elbow bending, confusion of healthspan and lifespan, anecdotes about The Relatives or The Guys ("I knew some guys . . . ."), blah blah.

Too much hostility. The entire goal of ANF Longevity Science is actually to create excuses and rationalizations for NOT dieting OR exercising. That is, to be happy blobs. The happiness of chasing docs and meds is somehow overlooked, however.

Only a very few would be seriously interested and prepare to be convinced. And it does take some time after the decades of brainwashing. One Twitter poster joked that it took him 10,000 hours to learn that he can just spend a minimum 1 hour (an intense hour) a week strength training.????

So I post more on sites w/ members who share the same goals of health & fitness. Mostly younger people, but some older guys show up. NO hostility there.

You might read Dear Over-45 Trainee… by a well-respected older trainer w/ a long track record. He's spot on.

I follow P. D. Mangan, 68, daily on Twitter, one of my faves. But it requires some background reading really to understand what he's doing, why, and how he does it. He offers well-regarded 1-on-1 training that'd be worth it for those who can afford it and want the shortcut. 

I also follow Alexander Cortes, offers courses not too expensive. On Instagram, he's also got a great series on form. Knows what he's doing. He has a broad appeal.

I favor intelligent, educated, well-read trainers who are all about fitness, not bodybuilding. Their Twitter feeds attract more intelligent, wittier comments, too. Today on AJAC one poster wrote:

Self development for women is, “You are amazing, learn to love your perfect bad ass self.”

For men it’s, “You’re a loser, time is running out, here’s how to get it together before you die a losing loser.” Probably a bit harsh but directionally not hard to see as more effective.

We seem to be getting a lot more of the self-development for women here. ????

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Exactly. Their preferred form should also be checked against some guru like Athlean-X on youtube. Also, they'll promote exercises you shouldn't be doing. They're out of date.

Better than nothing, to get started, I guess, if you check behind them. The untrained in the gym--well, they're often funny (some guy playing imaginary hula hoop), but also setting themselves up for injury. I wince at some of the antics.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

[quote]

The record for the hundred-meter dash for women ages one hundred and up is about forty-one seconds.

[/quote]

Perhaps a better description would be 'stagger' rather than 'dash'!  But all kudos to them at that age ????

12 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/apr/13/uk-in-rapidly-escalating-diabetes-crisis-as-cases-top-5m-report-says

UK in ‘rapidly escalating’ diabetes crisis as cases top 5m, report says

Diabetes UK study also expresses concern about growing number of younger people with type 2

Is anyone surprised, given the amount of sugar that we eat now? I was lucky that it wasn't in everything when I was growing up.