"We're just poor rice farmers yet we've been charged with computer crime" - family appeal for justice

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: They seek justice

A poor rice growing family in the NE of Thailand have appealed for justice after a warrant issued in Naratiwat in the south claimed fraud and computer crime had been committed.

A 31 year old woman named only as "A" from Kutwai sub-district of Sikhoraphum district in Surin went to the police there after being named in the warrant. She was in tears.

She was subjected to interrogation.

She admitted it was her on the legal paperwork and was taken into custody before being taken south.

She said she had never caused trouble to anyone, anywhere. She had no idea about computers claiming she was just a poor rice farmer.

Her father Dam called for justice for his daughter who has to work to feed two younger relatives.

He said they have no money for bail and wouldn't have had enough to ever travel to the south.

Daily News didn't detail the exact charges laid against A.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she had never caused trouble to anyone, anywhere. She had no idea about computers claiming she was just a poor rice farmer.

Probably made an inflammatory post on a social media outlet regarding the state of the rice trade.

Someone's got their underwear in a twist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Computer crime seems to range from posting something this heinous, draconian administration of Prayuth does not like, to online fraud. So, who knows if there was any real crime committed. Sometimes, a crime is a crime. And sometimes, it is blame from a desperado. 

Stop speculating and wait for the real details to be released.

• Like 1

very strange story indeed,  however as mentioned it lacks any detail on why she was charged.

Having said that,  she say's she's completely innocent .....   but I seriously doubt the police would have charged her unless they had sufficient evidence against her that would hold up in court,   they wouldn't have charged her if someone else used her Thai ID for instance. 

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Too much trouble for them to find out, i suppose. Asking questions is discouraged from the moment a Thai begins school, but it's a bit of a handicap if one wants to be a journalist. Not that anyone here cares, of course, same as they don't care about anything else either.

Then you only know Thai people who went to below par school and achieved very little in life. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then you only know Thai people who went to below par school and achieved very little in life. 

I've been here for something like 27 years and am a journalist who has often worked with Thai reporters, and it was always I who had to ask the questions. They never did. Never. Thais do not question their supposed 'betters'. Ever. They know their place on the ladder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've been here for something like 27 years and am a journalist who has often worked with Thai reporters, and it was always I who had to ask the questions. They never did. Never. Thais do not question their supposed 'betters'. Ever. They know their place on the ladder.

Sure, this never happened? https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40023646

Been here longer than 27 years btw and work with Thai people who do ask questions. 

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Computer crime seems to range from posting something this heinous, draconian administration of Prayuth does not like, to online fraud. So, who knows if there was any real crime committed. Sometimes, a crime is a crime. And sometimes, it is blame from a desperado. 

Maybe they are running a scam and as part of that scam they pose as "poor rice farmers" while running a scam on the side.  Not a lot of information to go on.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This. ☝️

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

very strange story indeed,  however as mentioned it lacks any detail on why she was charged.

Having said that,  she say's she's completely innocent .....   but I seriously doubt the police would have charged her unless they had sufficient evidence against her that would hold up in court,   they wouldn't have charged her if someone else used her Thai ID for instance. 

Could be something as simple as someone paying her to buy them, or activate for them a SIM card using her ID.

Said card then being used for nefarious means. All leading back to her. It happens a lot here apparently.