Military exercises suggest China is getting ‘ready to launch a war against Taiwan,’ island’s foreign minister tells CNN

Social Media

One day after China simulated “joint precision strikes” on Taiwan during military exercises around the island, Taiwan’s Foreign Minister Joseph Wu condemned Beijing’s actions in an exclusive interview with CNN and warned that “they seem to be trying to get ready to launch a war against Taiwan.”

“Look at the military exercises, and also their rhetoric, they seem to be trying to get ready to launch a war against Taiwan,” Wu said.

14 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I believe its sabre-rattling in response to American drills, and their anti-Chinese rhetoric. They will not invade, just showing that they can

As much as I hate to agree with vandenventer about anything, i think there is a good chance that China will go ahead and do it. They see that the US is far more antagonistic to China than it was under the Trump administration. Trump may have talked big because he's a blowhard, but the steps he authorized didn't amount to much compared to what the Biden administration has done.  And the Biden administration has committed itself to strengthening Taiwan. So the longer China waits the harder it's going to get to invade. I just hope the Taiwanese have their chip factories mined and ready to be blown up if China does go ahead with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As much as I hate to agree with vandenventer about anything, i think there is a good chance that China will go ahead and do it. They see that the US is far more antagonistic to China than it was under the Trump administration. Trump may have talked big because he's a blowhard, but the steps he authorized didn't amount to much compared to what the Biden administration has done.  And the Biden administration has committed itself to strengthening Taiwan. So the longer China waits the harder it's going to get to invade. I just hope the Taiwanese have their chip factories mined and ready to be blown up if China does go ahead with it.

I respect your view, but by invading they risk war with the US

Joe Biden has again said US forces would defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion, in his most explicit statement so far on the issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/19/joe-biden-repeats-claim-that-us-forces-would-defend-taiwan-if-china-attacked

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? What Trump did to oppose China is miniscule compared to what Biden has done. Do you really need for it to be spelled out to you? Because if you do, you must be living in a cave.

Yes, spell them out so we all can have a good laugh. You can't make friends with China as they are ready for war with the USA, open your eyes.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Seppius said:

I respect your view, but by invading they risk war with the US

Joe Biden has again said US forces would defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion, in his most explicit statement so far on the issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/19/joe-biden-repeats-claim-that-us-forces-would-defend-taiwan-if-china-attacked

They might think it's a good time. What with the US providing so much aid to Ukraine. I'm not saying it will happen. But I wouldn't rule it out, either. And I guess we should see if China is building up an invasion force on the mainland opposite Taiwan. If they were, I would expect the Biden administration to do what it so brilliantly in the case of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Long before Russia invaded, the Biden administration predicted it was going to invade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

China may move sooner that later against Taiwan with Biden at the helm. They seem to fear Trump as he will show strength and not weakness. Even with all the road blocks that Trump has in his way, the chances  are looking good for 2024 Trump victory.

Clearly, the Chinese were quaking in their boots at the thought of crossing Trump

China bought none of the extra $200 billion of US exports in Trump's trade deal

https://www.piie.com/blogs/realtime-economics/china-bought-none-extra-200-billion-us-exports-trumps-trade-deal#:~:text=In the end%2C China bought,exports Trump's deal had promised.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Yes, spell them out so we all can have a good laugh. You can't make friends with China as they are ready for war with the USA, open your eyes.

I can't believe that you're so ill-informed that you don't know about these things.

A sea change’: Biden reverses decades of Chinese trade policy
Forget tariffs. Biden’s actions to crack down on Beijing’s tech development will do more to hinder the Chinese economy — and divide the two nations — than Trump ever did.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/26/china-trade-tech-00072232

The Biden Administration’s China Policy: An Inventory of Actions to Address the Challenge 

https://www.justsecurity.org/82252/the-biden-administrations-china-policy-an-inventory-of-actions-to-address-the-challenge/

The Biden Administration’s Moves to Take on China

https://www.bhfs.com/insights/alerts-articles/2022/the-biden-administration-s-moves-to-take-on-china

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

cut the budget to below inflation level

What does that mean? Inflation is the increase in price levels and (federal) budget is the amount of money available to the government to spend in a fiscal year. That's like saying I reduce my acceleration to below 5 seats.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

China is making new friends everywhere and Biden wants to cut the budget to below inflation level. Yeah he's got China shaking in their boots. He needs to do many things about China now, before it's too late.

I see you have no answer to defend your unsupported and blatantly false belief that the Chinese feared doublecrossing Trump. But hey, falling short by $200 billlion on a $200 billion commitment, doesn't signify much in your view, does it?

As for not supporting Taiwan. In fact, there's been a huge boost in aid to Taiwan.

US lawmakers agree on bill to provide US$10 billion in military aid to Taiwan
Bill provides US$2 billion in military assistance each year from 2023 to 2027

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4743172

Also, Taiwan is a wealthy nation. It can afford to buy armaments. What the Biden administration has been doing is urging the Taiwanese govt to rethink their defense policy in light of lessons learned in both Iraq and now the Ukraine. Taiwan is never going to match in bulk the Chinese govts armed forces. 

In letters, U.S. tries to reshape Taiwan’s weapons requests

The Biden administration is rebuffing some of Taiwan’s requests for big-ticket weapons, instead urging Taipei to buy other equipment the U.S. believes will better deter and defend against China, according to U.S. and Taiwanese officials and documents obtained by POLITICO.

The Army told Taiwan in a March letter that it should buy an upgraded version of a mobile artillery system Taipei had requested years ago. In a separate March letter, the State Department told Taiwan that it would not respond to a request for a pricey helicopter designed for hunting submarines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/10/u-s-taiwan-weapons-request-00031507

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, 2009 said:

When the cat's away the mice will play, as they say.

We really need a strong president back in charge.

First, Ukraine. Next possibly Taiwan.

What after that?

Meanwhile, American ladyboys are of number one priority to Mr President.

No wonder the Eastern powers are having a field day.

As pointed out, the Chinese were so afraid of Trump that they reneged on a $200 billion commitment by a mere $200 billion.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I see you have no answer to defend your unsupported and blatantly false belief that the Chinese feared doublecrossing Trump. But hey, falling short by $200 billlion on a $200 billion commitment, doesn't signify much in your view, does it?

As for not supporting Taiwan. In fact, there's been a huge boost in aid to Taiwan.

US lawmakers agree on bill to provide US$10 billion in military aid to Taiwan
Bill provides US$2 billion in military assistance each year from 2023 to 2027

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4743172

Also, Taiwan is a wealthy nation. It can afford to buy armaments. What the Biden administration has been doing is urging the Taiwanese govt to rethink their defense policy in light of lessons learned in both Iraq and now the Ukraine. Taiwan is never going to match in bulk the Chinese govts armed forces. 

In letters, U.S. tries to reshape Taiwan’s weapons requests

The Biden administration is rebuffing some of Taiwan’s requests for big-ticket weapons, instead urging Taipei to buy other equipment the U.S. believes will better deter and defend against China, according to U.S. and Taiwanese officials and documents obtained by POLITICO.

The Army told Taiwan in a March letter that it should buy an upgraded version of a mobile artillery system Taipei had requested years ago. In a separate March letter, the State Department told Taiwan that it would not respond to a request for a pricey helicopter designed for hunting submarines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/10/u-s-taiwan-weapons-request-00031507

Maybe Taiwan should be seeking weapons elsewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfLovNU7VY

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

36 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Maybe Taiwan should be seeking weapons elsewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfLovNU7VY

"The Iron Beam could be deployed by 2025 as part of Israel’s Iron Dome, Gozali said."

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2023/3/21/israeli-made-high-energy-laser-makes-debut

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

From the original post quoting CNN news, totally misleading

and absurd, Taiwan is recognised internationally as Chinese,

even by Washinton.

No matter if someone recognizes Taiwan as an independent country or not - China can wage war against Taiwan. War does not necessarily mean two independent countries go against each other. What else would you call two military groups clashing? A special military operation?

45 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

From the original post quoting CNN news, totally misleading

and absurd, Taiwan is recognised internationally as Chinese,

even by Washinton.

Misleading? It's clear who's being misleading here.

So what you you call it if the Chinese military attacks Taiwan in order to establish control over it? Please, share with us those your enlightening term for it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No matter if someone recognizes Taiwan as an independent country or not - China can wage war against Taiwan. War does not necessarily mean two independent countries go against each other. What else would you call two military groups clashing? A special military operation?

I see your point, but China is Taiwans biggest trade partner,

and Chinese philosphy is to trade internationally and put

all differences aside, they have become the worlds most

respected peace negotiators. However, China is preparing

for whatever the US is going to throw at them.

30 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

...to throw at them should China start war against Taiwan. The fact that China is preparing for it means they have (as they explicitly stated) the intent to use military force to fully subdue Taiwan to its will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Really? I guess when you aggressively act as though the South China Sea is a Chinese lake, and deploy military forces to claim all its islands as your own, then you would want to put differences aside. Just so long as you keep possession of those islands. Somehow, I doubt that those countries that China has committed aggression against, feel the same way. I also doubt that Indians appreciate Chinese aggression on its border. And maybe the Sinhalese aren't thrilled that China lent money to its former corrupt rulers to finance a port that Japan and India wouldn't because they could see it was a corrupt boondoggle. And just maybe those Sinhalese aren't thrilled that Sri Lanka had to surrender that port and huge chunk of land to China for 99 years to settle that debt.

• Like 2