Anyone bought a "refurbished" phone from Lazada?

giddyup

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

The point is that you can keep your tablet out of the path of destruction while you listen through the bluetooth speaker placed nearby. The better speakers have pretty good sound.

I set the audiobook to turn off after 10 minutes otherwise if I fall asleep it will play all night and it's difficult to find where you left off. However, if I'm not asleep after 10 minutes the phone/tablet screen needs to be touched to trigger another 10 minutes. So it needs to be right next to me.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why? Doesn't a phone have a speaker?

doesn't a tablet have a speaker?

you can literally buy a cheap 50 baht speaker, so you don't need your tablet on the bed
and then you don't need to buy a cheap POS dodgy copy phone
even a cheap mp3 player with speaker should suffice for your needs

23 minutes ago, patman30 said:

doesn't a tablet have a speaker?

you can literally buy a cheap 50 baht speaker, so you don't need your tablet on the bed
and then you don't need to buy a cheap POS dodgy copy phone
even a cheap mp3 player with speaker should suffice for your needs

You don't know what you're talking about. I already explained why I need it close to me, and an MP3 player doesn't usually have a timer or a sensor. I think I know exactly what I need.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You don't know what you're talking about. I already explained why I need it close to me, and an MP3 player doesn't usually have a timer or a sensor. I think I know exactly what I need.

tablet does though
speaker is fine
keep buying cheap junk if it pleases you
i gave you what you asked for in my first reply

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, patman30 said:

tablet does though
speaker is fine
keep buying cheap junk if it pleases you
i gave you what you asked for in my first reply

Then no need for further responses.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, terryq said:

Notice it claims to be a VIV0 Y21 not a VIVO Y21. See the difference ??

Therefore a fake. Also claims to be a 7.5" and a 6.1" in the blurb whereas gsmarena reckons a VIVO y21 is a 6.51"'.

Do better research before ordering.

Another (more obvious) trick is the brand name; 'Panusonic'. 

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I set the audiobook to turn off after 10 minutes otherwise if I fall asleep it will play all night and it's difficult to find where you left off. However, if I'm not asleep after 10 minutes the phone/tablet screen needs to be touched to trigger another 10 minutes.

But if you fall asleep after 5 minutes, the audiobook plays for another 5.

So set your book to turn off in 20 minutes. Only takes a few minutes to go back and find where you fell asleep.

If you miss a file or so, it doesn't matter all that much. What you listen to while falling asleep won't be remembered long anyway. The important thing is the hearing of the voice and falling asleep. You pick a book that's not so interesting, nor read dramatically, that you're really going to get into it. Pay too much attention, and it'll stop you from going to sleep.

40 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But if you fall asleep after 5 minutes, the audiobook plays for another 5.

So set your book to turn off in 20 minutes. Only takes a few minutes to go back and find where you fell asleep.

If you miss a file or so, it doesn't matter all that much. What you listen to while falling asleep won't be remembered long anyway. The important thing is the hearing of the voice and falling asleep. You pick a book that's not so interesting, nor read dramatically, that you're really going to get into it. Pay too much attention, and it'll stop you from going to sleep.

Why would the spot that you fell asleep be easier to find after 20 minutes than 5 minutes? I agree with you that it's the voice that lulls you to sleep, but sometimes the book is good enough to want to hear the whole story. I'm listening to books by Cormac McCarthy at present, great stuff.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why would the spot that you fell asleep be easier to find after 20 minutes than 5 minutes?

I didn't say easier. But easy enough. Estimate the track where you thought you fell asleep, listen to the beginning 10 sec or less, don't recognize, go back 5 tracks, listen, etc. You can also do that on your PC w/ the copy of the files there. So you can test 6 tracks in a minute, no big deal. Use the ol' binary search by halving the number of tracks remaining to consider.

You don't have to use 20 min. You could use 15. If you're not asleep in 15, it shuts off and you're probably asleep in the next 5 min anyway.

To me that's easier than wasting money on a new phone and fooling around with that, but if you're really just fixated on that idea, up to you.

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

I didn't say easier. But easy enough. Estimate the track where you thought you fell asleep, listen to the beginning 10 sec or less, don't recognize, go back 5 tracks, listen, etc. You can also do that on your PC w/ the copy of the files there. So you can test 6 tracks in a minute, no big deal. Use the ol' binary search by halving the number of tracks remaining to consider.

You don't have to use 20 min. You could use 15. If you're not asleep in 15, it shuts off and you're probably asleep in the next 5 min anyway.

To me that's easier than wasting money on a new phone and fooling around with that, but if you're really just fixated on that idea, up to you.

My audiobooks are one file and are on Audiobook Reader2 from Playstore, so theres nothing to distinguish where I left off listening except it happened in the 10 minute I set. I'm already listening to audiobooks on a phone now, but the battery is just about kaput, and the battery is unobtainable, I've looked.

Just now, giddyup said:

My audiobooks are one file and are on Audiobook Reader2 from Playstore, so theres nothing to distinguish where I left off listening except it happened in the 10 minute I set.

I download audiobooks as multiple files. But anyway, you'd simply back half the distance from the point you started and the point you ended, listen to 10 sec of audio, then halve that distance and listen again. Should be able to pretty close. You can also just repeat part of what you'd heard, as you've probably forgotten the details or it bears hearing again. When there's a will, there's away. 

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm already listening to audiobooks on a phone now, but the battery is just about kaput, and the battery is unobtainable, I've looked.

Switch to your Samsung tablet, same thing. Did you look on Aliexpress for a new battery? They've got a million. I got a new battery for an obscure el-cheapo throwaway laptop from there and it's been just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:47 PM, ezzra said:

Buy cheap new one than buying a 'refurbished' one and take a risk of not working. just common sense here really.

Refurb is *new*. They are sold with full warranties.

I wouldn't buy anything on lazada. I wouldn't buy a phone on Shoppee. What's wrong with hustling down to your local it mall and picking up a phone for a few thousand baht brand new? Low end TCL or something.

Even if your phone is under warranty is past 7 to 30 days whatever the manufacturer specifies it goes to the shop you just do not get a new phone. Imagine that's doubly true if it's refurbed.

I would never buy anything but spanking brand new electronics as you have absolutely no idea what they've been through prior

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I download audiobooks as multiple files. But anyway, you'd simply back half the distance from the point you started and the point you ended, listen to 10 sec of audio, then halve that distance and listen again. Should be able to pretty close. You can also just repeat part of what you'd heard, as you've probably forgotten the details or it bears hearing again. When there's a will, there's away. 

Switch to your Samsung tablet, same thing. Did you look on Aliexpress for a new battery? They've got a million. I got a new battery for an obscure el-cheapo throwaway laptop from there and it's been just fine.

Unbranded phone and unbranded battery, and too easy to buy the wrong size, believe me, I've looked.

Edited by giddyup
  • Sad 2

For comparison (and possibly information purposes), today my Mrs bought a used iPhone 8 Plus from her friend who owns a mobile 'phone shop. She paid 10,000 baht. She doesn't understand about back-ups or clouds. I'm not permitted to touch her 'phones. The shop transferred everything across from her old 'phone for no extra charge. At home my stepdaughter was helping her set up an Apple ID. The 'phone objected saying; 'Too many Apple ID's created'. Both Mum and daughter looked at me. I said I didn't understand and left it with them!     

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

At home my stepdaughter was helping her set up an Apple ID. The 'phone objected saying; 'Too many Apple ID's created'. Both Mum and daughter looked at me. I said I didn't understand and left it with them!   

An Apple device can only ever set up 3 free Apple IDs. However if you already have an Apple ID you can register the phone with that, there is no limit to the number of times you can switch Apple IDs. So either use an existing ID or use a different device to set one up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An Apple device can only ever set up 3 free Apple IDs. However if you already have an Apple ID you can register the phone with that, there is no limit to the number of times you can switch Apple IDs. So either use an existing ID or use a different device to set one up.

Many thanks! Stepdaughter used her iPad to set up an Apple ID for her Mum. 

On 4/15/2023 at 3:10 PM, giddyup said:

My audiobooks are one file and are on Audiobook Reader2 from Playstore, so theres nothing to distinguish where I left off listening except it happened in the 10 minute I set

Are you saying that your books aren't actually audiobooks but e-books that Audiobook Reader2 is reading for you? If that's the case, you can easily just scan the text for the last bit you remember and reset Audiobook Reader2 to start again from that point?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

Are you saying that your books aren't actually audiobooks but e-books that Audiobook Reader2 is reading for you? If that's the case, you can easily just scan the text for the last bit you remember and reset Audiobook Reader2 to start again from that point?

They are Audiobooks downloaded from torrent sites and usually they are just one file.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

MP3 or MP4.

I don't see any Audiobook Reader2 in the Playstore: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Audiobook+Reader2&c=apps&hl=en_US&gl=US

The Audiobook Reader narrates e-book files in the form of .epub, .mobi, etc.

But a serious audiobook reader will allow you to create bookmarks. So you create one when you start and then at the end of 15 or 20 min. Or in between. That should allow you to find the place where you fell asleep rather quickly. It'd be cool if the audiobook reader would let you create automatically a series of bookmarks at 5 minute intervals.

Another possibility is to create a cue sheet for your MP3 file as described here: https://www.mymusictools.com/articles/how-do-i-create-a-cue-sheet.htm. So you can create your own chapters automatically at precise 5 minute intervals, and those should be helpful for quickly finding the right place to restart the next night. However, it takes an audio player to understand cue sheets.

Here's a phone under B1000 that might at least play audio:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-100-opp0-a96-5g-75-2-smartphone-4g5g-16gb-512gb-android110-mobile-phone-a16-i4342263279-s17305152004.html

My last suggestion is just to buy a cheap Android TV box like this for under B600:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tv-box-mxq-pro-ram8rom128gb-wifi-android-10-8khd-tv-box-disney-hotstar-youtube-netflix-box-i3943805534-s15216241607.html

But it needs a display: monitor or TV. You can put your book & audiobook app there or for a player use the Kodi (bookmarks!). Pair that with a Bluetooth speaker as described above. Start the book, turn off the monitor or TV, then later turn off the box w/ its remote.

Connect the box to the 'net, add Qbittorent, and you can download torrents directly to the box (or attached storage).

Guess that's all I got to say on the subject. Good luck.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I don't see any Audiobook Reader2 in the Playstore: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Audiobook+Reader2&c=apps&hl=en_US&gl=US

The Audiobook Reader narrates e-book files in the form of .epub, .mobi, etc.

But a serious audiobook reader will allow you to create bookmarks. So you create one when you start and then at the end of 15 or 20 min. Or in between. That should allow you to find the place where you fell asleep rather quickly. It'd be cool if the audiobook reader would let you create automatically a series of bookmarks at 5 minute intervals.

Another possibility is to create a cue sheet for your MP3 file as described here: https://www.mymusictools.com/articles/how-do-i-create-a-cue-sheet.htm. So you can create your own chapters automatically at precise 5 minute intervals, and those should be helpful for quickly finding the right place to restart the next night. However, it takes an audio player to understand cue sheets.

Here's a phone under B1000 that might at least play audio:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-100-opp0-a96-5g-75-2-smartphone-4g5g-16gb-512gb-android110-mobile-phone-a16-i4342263279-s17305152004.html

My last suggestion is just to buy a cheap Android TV box like this for under B600:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tv-box-mxq-pro-ram8rom128gb-wifi-android-10-8khd-tv-box-disney-hotstar-youtube-netflix-box-i3943805534-s15216241607.html

But it needs a display: monitor or TV. You can put your book & audiobook app there or for a player use the Kodi (bookmarks!). Pair that with a Bluetooth speaker as described above. Start the book, turn off the monitor or TV, then later turn off the box w/ its remote.

Connect the box to the 'net, add Qbittorent, and you can download torrents directly to the box (or attached storage).

Guess that's all I got to say on the subject. Good luck.

Erm.. that Android box has totally fake specs attached. You must know that. 
8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage? ☺️
Come on now…quick and dirty again?

Expect 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage. Forget about Dual band WiFi. Likely 2.4GHz only. Android 10 or 11? I don’t think so. Expect 7.1. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Erm.. that Android box has totally fake specs attached. You must know that.

Not worried about it for the purpose of playing an audiobook. You ain't gettin' much for B600, a given.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Forget about Dual band WiFi. Likely 2.4GHz only. Android 10 or 11? I don’t think so. Expect 7.1. 

No real problem if so. Want more, pay more. Since the OP's so cost conscious, I gave him the minimum. It'll play an audiobook.

That suggestion should get the ball rolling.  Big Spenders (with other people's money) may jump in to suggest the usual Nvidia Shield or--a heavenly NUC. A NUC running Windows 11.????

Edited by BigStar