US takes Texas abortion pill case to Supreme Court

onthedarkside

image.png.c6fb509c5c1a56b6419be66fef740da6.png

The Biden administration has asked the Supreme Court to restore full access to an abortion drug after a lower court imposed restrictions on its use.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) filed an emergency appeal to restore access to mifepristone, the drug used in more than half of all US abortions.

The case has nationwide ramifications not only for millions of women but also on the future of drug approvals.

READ MORE

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65260880

image.png.42b24a2222bfb94de3ac924f9a942790.png

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not an American, and I am not a women. 

I am confused why many Americans seem to be obsessed with anti abortion. 

What is so difficult about letting women decide themselves what they want?

And if every life matters so much, why do they have the death penalty over there? And why so many deadly crimes? And why don't they support the mothers of those unborn babies to be able to raise them in a healthy environment?

What's the point of having unwanted children with (single) parents who don't have the money and/or the patience and time for those kids?

Maybe all those religious people should not only talk about the bible but also live and support people in need.

The two main reasons are money and religion... the anti abortionists do not want to pay for abortions nor do they condone murder of a fetus based on religious doctrine.

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The two main reasons are money and religion... the anti abortionists do not want to pay for abortions nor do they condone murder of a fetus based on religious doctrine.

Thanks

If they don't want to pay and if they want to follow their religion, fine.

But why can't other people pay for their own abortions? And why can't other people follow other religions or no religion at all?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And why don't they support the mothers of those unborn babies to be able to raise them in a healthy environment?

What's the point of having unwanted children with (single) parents who don't have the money and/or the patience and time for those kids?

Spot on. The pro-ban party (GOP) is even striving to restrict child-related benefits to married families, de facto excluding the people who need it most (single parents).

Just an example (There are many others):

"A NEWLY INTRODUCED Texas House bill proposes property tax cuts for couples who get married, stay married, and have lots of children. There’s a catch though. In order to qualify for the tax benefit, couples need to be heterosexual, never divorced, and their children born or adopted after their date of marriage. LGBTQ couples, single parents, divorced parents, and blended families will not qualify for full benefits."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/texas-republicans-tax-cuts-straight-couples-many-children-1234689876/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not an American, and I am not a women. 

I am confused why many Americans seem to be obsessed with anti abortion. 

What is so difficult about letting women decide themselves what they want?

And if every life matters so much, why do they have the death penalty over there? And why so many deadly crimes? And why don't they support the mothers of those unborn babies to be able to raise them in a healthy environment?

Maybe all those religious people should not only talk about the bible but also live and support people in need.

80‰ of Americans support a woman's choice. You listed several of the examples of the twisted logic that abortion foes display.

We are as confused as you are.

In the end it always seems to come back to religion. Religion is an just a way to justify controlling another person's choices.

Eventually it will considered the mental disorder that it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

If the men who were party to creating an unwanted child were held as responsible as the women they inseminated, I’m sure that most anti-abortionists would change their tune.

Fair enough - but let's also let the father of the 'would-be' child have a say in its death too then. Why on earth should a woman be able to kill a planned child merely as she finished with her fella ?  By the logic you propose a man should be able to refuse paying any money for a child if HE says she should have it aborted.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Fair enough - but let's also let the father of the 'would-be' child have a say in its death too then. Why on earth should a woman be able to kill a planned child merely as she finished with her fella ?  By the logic you propose a man should be able to refuse paying any money for a child if HE says she should have it aborted.

A can of worms for sure, and you raise some good points. I guess my point is that the man and woman should be held equally responsible for the pregnancy, and all it entails, and I just don’t see it ever play out that way. (Including in Thailand, where as far as I can gather it’s almost always the “fella” who walks out on a relationship, free of any shame or blame, the minute he finds out he’s gotten his girlfriend pregnant.)

2 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

A can of worms for sure, and you raise some good points. I guess my point is that the man and woman should be held equally responsible for the pregnancy, and all it entails, and I just don’t see it ever play out that way. (Including in Thailand, where as far as I can gather it’s almost always the “fella” who walks out on a relationship, free of any shame or blame, the minute he finds out he’s gotten his girlfriend pregnant.)

Just more of the blame game.