27 Omicron XBB.1.16 cases detected in Thailand by April 17th

snoop1130

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

OK, what booster to take now. We have so far:

Wife: Sinovac - Astra - Moderna - Moderna

Myself: Astra - Astra - Moderna - Moderna

Isn't there a more advanced stuff from Pfizer ? I have completely lost the overview, but a 5. vaccination might be recommended anyway ? Or not ?

I am getting my fifth Pfizer next week all of mine were Pfizer 

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Interesting. Seems to have forgotten to mention DEATH. Ah! And lung infections/pnuemonia. Mask up everyone another fatal sub-variant of the very deadly Omicron strain is about to take over. 

Oh please. Calm down. There has been no evidence to suggest that each subsequent variant is NOT getting weaker and weaker. 

The fatalities rates continue to decline. As far as I am concerned, each new variant is GOOD news. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh please. Calm down. There has been no evidence to suggest that each subsequent variant is NOT getting weaker and weaker. 

The fatalities rates continue to decline. As far as I am concerned, each new variant is GOOD news. 

@spidermike007You appear to have missed the irony in my post.

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

OK. Glad to hear. I sometimes over react when I hear that terrible word mask! We are on the same page. 

I did wear a mask for Delta but when Omicron came in and booted Delta out there really was and is no need. Haven't worn a mask unless I'm forced to for more than a year. Never get jabbed again because there is no need. I would love to see a thread about vaccines though. That would be something. Not sure if we're allowed to even discuss this. Probably still deemed misinformation and conspiracy theory. Interesting stuff coming to light in this regard though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not as rare as you seem to think... From the U.S. CDC:

Screenshot_3.jpg.2a9c5fe7e134a1b04068ce8281dbc19d.jpg

"During the period of Omicron predominance (December 19, 2021–February 28, 2022), COVID-19–associated hospitalization rates in children aged 5–11 years were approximately twice as high among unvaccinated as among vaccinated children. ... Thirty percent of hospitalized children had no underlying medical conditions, and 19% were admitted to an intensive care unit. Children with diabetes and obesity were more likely to experience severe COVID-19."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7116e1.htm

Interesting. I was just reading about that this afternoon.

"Peak weekly COVID-19–associated hospitalization rates among children aged 5–11 years were higher during the Omicron-predominant period than during the Delta-predominant period."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7116e1.htm

One reason for the rise in hospitalisations amongst children during the early Omicron days was apparently due to the shift of infections to the upper respiratory tract.

Omicron subvariants BA.1 and BA.2 seemed to migrate from [infecting mainly] lungs and nervous tissue to the upper airways." 

"Omicron causes clinical symptoms mostly related to the upper respiratory tract with minimal symptoms from the lower respiratory tract"

https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p3

And because:

"children's upper airways are smaller, so they were more affected by the aforementioned shift in viral behaviour with omicron."

https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p3

Edited by asf6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Throughout the COVID pandemic, the Thai MoPH had a somewhat consistent pattern of providing English versions of their updates in various forms... So it's nothing new for them.  But those companion English versions ceased when Thailand downgraded its COVID response some months back.

They provided the EN versions as an information resource to the large English speaking expat community in Thailand, as well as for the international news media who previously covered COVID issues in Thailand.... and mainly were EN speakers.

Across the world in every language, the Covid update and response narrative has been largely extinguished. I believe Hong Kong and China were the last bastions of 'zero Covid' tomfoolery. Why should Thailand be any different?

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Frankly, I'd be more interested in hearing better info from MoPH on why there's been a week-over-week 250% increase in Thailand COVID hospitalizations, now averaging about 62 new COVID hospitalizations per day... And those are now at Thailand's highest numbers since the end of January.

Seasonal tourism and the influx of certain Slavic nationalities fleeing the east European conflict? When people move about, Covid moves with them. Been like that since the lab leak...

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I would love to see a thread about vaccines though. That would be something. Not sure if we're allowed to even discuss this. Probably still deemed misinformation and conspiracy theory. Interesting stuff coming to light in this regard though.

Plenty moribund vaccine threads that could easily be jump started or simply start a new one by yourself. As long as it's about vaccines and not about Bill Gates's nano-bots while your balls are get zapped with 5G gamma rays, I reckon you'll be on safe ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Plenty moribund vaccine threads that could easily be jump started or simply start a new one by yourself. As long as it's about vaccines and not about Bill Gates's nano-bots while your balls are get zapped with 5G gamma rays, I reckon you'll be on safe ground.

Not exactly about which vaccines are which. More about the safety of said vaccines.

14 hours ago, moogradod said:

OK, what booster to take now. We have so far:

Wife: Sinovac - Astra - Moderna - Moderna

Myself: Astra - Astra - Moderna - Moderna

Isn't there a more advanced stuff from Pfizer ? I have completely lost the overview, but a 5. vaccination might be recommended anyway ? Or not ?

I'm interested to know where vaccines are available and at what cost.  Wouldn't mind getting boosters for myself, plus my GF and her daughter.

Is this an attempt to conflate and propagate more hysterics? It’s been downgraded as the same level as the flu and we have here a story posted that seems to have an ulterior motive, something I’ve been noticing quite a around here lately.   

I had those symptoms around 10 days ago, cough, fever, sore throat and general aches. Did two Covid tests, both negative. Stayed indoors all through Songkran, ( that wasn't a bad thing).

Am already triple vaccinated. What more can one do?

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The newer bivalent version of the Pfizer vaccine has been available in Thailand, especially Bangkok, the past couple months -- though not especially well publicized.

Pfizer bivalent available in Chiang Mai, free. No publicity at all. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

he dismissed the suggestion that XBB.1.16 is as potent as the Delta variant

I bet whomever was trying to push this angle was severely disappointed to get that response.  Someone clearly wants things (fear and control?) to go back to how they were under Delta.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I'd challenge you to present any credible source that says each successive COVID variant is getting "weaker and weaker." I think you'd be hard pressed to credibly make a case for that -- other than you just making the claim as you often do, with absolutely no credible sourcing to support it.

What you would find are two main themes:

1. Omicron variants in general are different than their predecessor Delta variants, in that the former tend to have greater impact on the upper respiratory areas, while the latter had greater impact on the lower respiratory areas.

2. To the extent death and hospitalization rates have been falling in various places, but not all places, in addition to the impact of No. 1 above, it's also believed related to the combined protective effects of mass COVID vaccinations along with the fact that much of the world's population has already had some prior COVID infection.

In general, the experts in the COVID field have generally assessed thus far that all the various Omicron variants thus far have been pretty similar in their health effects...

The one area where the newer Omicron variants may be getting worse is, at least in the lab testing, the newer Omicron variants have elements that suggest they'll have somewhat greater ability to avoid the protections of vaccines.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

38 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I bet whomever was trying to push this angle was severely disappointed to get that response.  Someone clearly wants things (fear and control?) to go back to how they were under Delta.

There was some Thai language fake news social media posts in Thailand making the false claim that the latest Omicron variant is as bad as or worse that Delta... To their credit, the Thai government/medical establishment promptly denounced that social media posting as FALSE... No one is the Thailand government medical establishment is pushing that kind of false info.... sorry to disappoint you.

• Thumbs Up 1

from the Thai government posted a day ago:

"Fake news, don't share!!!!
“Omicron XBB is 5 times more powerful than Delta.
and higher mortality rate.”
Source: Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Public Health"

Screenshot_1.jpg.1c21c99dcb6d2050f93c26b9763afaaa.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/pfbid06qaXEND6D6fWgM3dTUEsanmwnzcT9KifCvWtLWjdrKgtJJthBxF5ud6jhTRfBHccl

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Of course it's entirely up to you but let me suggest thinking about if you need to be further vaccinated against a virus that for the vast majority of people infected has mild to very mild symptoms akin to that of the common cold or even no symptoms at all. 

But but but - "It could Kill you!!!"  <cue sound of movie audience gasping in horror>

Although under the right circumstances and in the right populations (esp. the very elderly and immune compromised or already very ill) even the annual "flu" or even the common cold can develop into pneumonia and kill you.  Heck, under those same circumstances, even aspirating a glass of water by it "going down the wrong hole" <cue wracking cough spasms> can lead to bacterial pneumonia, in the populations noted above, and lead to death.
But why not discuss those cases as comparison???

Why?  They don't fit the commonly accepted narrative that a new (although not new now) viral infection (labelled as Extremely Deadly by the WHO/CDC/MSM/NGO/and other stakeholders,et.al.) that can manifest with mild flu-like/cold-like symptoms which 99.+% of the normal healthy population will get over in short enough order, is gonna kill you or put you in the hospital for sure!  It's framed to sound like most people who contract covid will end up in the hospital if not fully 'vaccinated' contrary to the reality that has dawned over the last 3+ years to the contrary.   Nope - after 3+ years of this constant fear-generating messaging from our "experts" that Covid is still "Freddy" in "Nightmare On SARS-Cov-2 Street" where our sneaky mutating villain is just waiting for the unvaccinated or partially vaccinated to slip up and not get their um-teenth boosters (soon to be $130+ in the US and beyond) even though these are self-admittedly non-sterilizing vaccines but marketed as "will keep you from dying" from a viral infection that most people's immune systems will handle just like they handle the normal cold and flu that go around annually.  That fact that most of us during our life-times have contracted a SARS viral cold or flu infection that imparts some immunity to covid is glossed over completely.
No - "This is different!", they say although the symptoms and end results for most will be the same as contracting the flu - which by the way can kill you too.....under the right conditions.
You must have all the shots $Cha-Ching$ or you will die for sure!

Personally - I'm really tired of this constant fear-mongering. It's a viral infection that will kill a small percentage of the population just like other respiratory viruses can do.  It's time to ditch the fear-mongering, accept the new virus on the block, and move on.  If you want shots? Get the shots if they make you feel safer.  But let's collectively get over this insanity of posting every covid mutation in real-time and then hyping into a crescendo of fear and wailing.  <cue maniacal laughter in the background>

Cold and flu viruses mutate all the time too. It's the nature of viral evolution.  Why not list them as well?  Because they haven't been framed as the virus equivalent of Freddy Kruger.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, connda said:

It's a viral infection that will kill a small percentage of the population just like other respiratory viruses can do. 

COVID, even the current Omicron variants, have worse health impacts than the flu. They're not the same in terms of their impact, contrary to your, as usual, entirely unsourced claims.

COVID Omicron variant infection deadlier than flu, studies suggest

April 8, 2023

"Two new studies suggest that COVID-19 Omicron variant infection is deadlier than influenza, with one finding that US veterans hospitalized with Omicron in fall and winter 2022-23 died at a 61% higher rate than hospitalized flu patients, and the other revealing that Israeli adults hospitalized with flu were 55% less likely to die within 30 days than those admitted for Omicron in the 2021-22 flu season."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-omicron-variant-infection-deadlier-flu-studies-suggest

Omicron hospital illness 54% deadlier than flu hospital cases, study finds

February 17, 2023

Adults hospitalized with SARS-CoV-2 Omicron infections in Switzerland died at 1.5 times the rate of those diagnosed as having influenza A or B, shows a multicenter study published yesterday in JAMA Network Open.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/omicron-hospital-illness-54-deadlier-flu-hospital-cases-study-finds

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There was some Thai language fake news social media posts in Thailand making the false claim that the latest Omicron variant is as bad as or worse that Delta... To their credit, the Thai government/medical establishment promptly denounced that social media posting as FALSE... No one is the Thailand government medical establishment is pushing that kind of false info.... sorry to disappoint you.

How are you disappointing me?  You just supported what I suggested with another example.

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How are you disappointing me?  You just supported what I suggested with another example.

It's not the governments or public health agencies that are putting forward false narratives to, in your view, exercise "control" and promote "fear..."  It's private party social media whack jobs... Thai language ones at that. Your conspiracy theory-tinged post above (as quoted below) implies it was some kind of government or medical establishment based campaign.  It was NOT!

"Someone clearly wants things (fear and control?) to go back to how they were under Delta.

8 hours ago, driver52 said:

why are you 'vulnerable' if I may ask?

It's about my long list of serious pre-conditions, but I do not see how any more detailled info will benefit you. It is somehow a very personal and intimate thing. But if you can show me why and how these details could benefit you in some way, I would at least PM you with some hints in order to help.

Although the list is really serious and long, none of my ailments would ever affect others. So feel relieved. Out of curiosity I once made a list of everything I have and it takes a DIN A4 page to write down all. I threw it away then immediately.