Prevent your retirement visa in Thailand from expiring

webfact

I prefer to let my visa agent do my 90 days reporting for me. I've lived in Thailand long enough now not to trust Government offices and their online links. If the link doesn't work you would probably be treated like an overstayer. I've been using my agent now for 8 years and I must say everything they do is on the ball, which is rare in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

This permit essentially “freezes” your visa’s validity, allowing you to return to Thailand without having to reapply for a new retirement visa. With a re-entry permit, you can freely travel in and out of Thailand without worrying about jeopardizing your retirement visa status.

Really? It does not mention anything of the expiration date of the stay permit stamp. I used to believe that the re-entry right have to be used at least one few days before the end of stay permit date stamp in the passport and new extension will start at the same day as the end date of the last stay permit date. Sombody here knows the facts about this?

Very little in the article is accurate or clear. 

A re-entry permit is granted that is valid from the date of issue to the date that the underlying extension of stay expires.  If the holder of the re-entry permit re-enters Thailand during the validity period of the re-entry permit (which ends the same date as the date of expiration of the underlying extension of stay) then the holder is given a permission of stay that expires on the same date as the date the re-entry permit expires (which is the same date as the date of the expiration of the underlying extension of stay).  

One way to understand this is that if one leaves and re-enters Thailand with a certain permission to stay until date granted by their extension of stay and in possession of a re-entry permit, then (if they re-enter before the re-entry permit expires) they will receive the same permission to stay date they had before they left.   They receive no additional days of permission to stay but are allowed to resume their original permission to stay granted by their extension of stay.  It's as if the re-entry permit allows the holder to enter Thailand and resume their existing permission to stay they had before they left Thailand.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

NOTE: The original poster hasn't commented further / hasn't responded to provide any clarifications. 

Nor will they be as the article is from The Thaiger and Rooster isn't responsible for the content they produce.

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

Nor will they be as the article is from The Thaiger and Rooster isn't responsible for the content they produce.

OK, but I suggest there's a good lesson here;

People who produce content about visas should be real and serious experts and be careful what they write ensuring there's no chance of misunderstanding, misinterpretations, and beware of words/titles which could produce misunderstanding.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you have done the extension then you don’t have a visa anymore !!

Of course we all understand what they mean but retirees looking at retirement in Thailand will be given the badly worded advice before they even set foot here.

Call me pedantic but getting the terminology correct from day one is important, then they can use the slang afterwards .

Agree, however most people just don't want to know. I've had fellers get angry with me when I tell them they're here on an extension and not a visa. 

The same guys who stamp their foot and call you pedantic well then turn around and get upset when you call football "soccer" ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OK, but I suggest there's a good lesson here;

People who produce content about visas should be real and serious experts and be careful what they write ensuring there's no chance of misunderstanding, misinterpretations, and beware of words/titles which could produce misunderstanding.  

I doubt anybody from the AN news team will read your comment, maybe send Rooster a DM if you feel that strongly about it. Or report the post.

OR head over to TT and create an account and communicate your concerns to them directly.

12 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Agree, however most people just don't want to know. I've had fellers get angry with me when I tell them they're here on an extension and not a visa. 

????

That’s why i find it ironic why ASEANNOW should post a piece clearly using the wrong terminology.

No wonder half the clientele of this forum get it wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That’s why i find it ironic why ASEANNOW should post a piece clearly using the wrong terminology.

Clientele? 

People are paying to be here?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

AN have some sort of syndication agreement with TT that allows them to post links to selected articles. I suspect that that agreement stipulates that the articles are shown "as is". 

If you click on enough links in a "visa" related article on TT, you'll eventually get to a part there they offer to take care of all your needs. For a fee of course. The last such link I clicked on they wanted ฿20k to assist with a retirement extension. Hand-holding only, you still need money in the bank LOL.

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

AN have some sort of syndication agreement with TT that allows them to post links to selected articles. I suspect that that agreement stipulates that the articles are shown "as is". 

If you click on enough links in a "visa" related article on TT, you'll eventually get to a part there they offer to take care of all your needs. For a fee of course. The last such link I clicked on they wanted ฿20k to assist with a retirement extension. Hand-holding only, you still need money in the bank LOL.

What is TT?

• Haha 1

The Re-Entry permit stamp clearly shows the validity of the Non-immigrant visa or its extention(s) validity under the Length of stay until part.

The Re-Entry permit date in Valid Until section is equal to the Length of stay until section.

Re-Entry permit stamp in Passport:

20230420_191620.thumb.jpg.b7f1b08b887f7a0896546a0a0c4174bb.jpg

Non-Immigrant Visa Extention stamp (one year)

20230420_191409.thumb.jpg.2943e3440535ac2e93c7834bdb1257b6.jpg

13 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I prefer to let my visa agent do my 90 days reporting for me. I've lived in Thailand long enough now not to trust Government offices and their online links. If the link doesn't work you would probably be treated like an overstayer. I've been using my agent now for 8 years and I must say everything they do is on the ball, which is rare in Thailand.

90 day reports has nothing to do with overstaying! 

Nothing wrong with using an agent but you should know it what you talk of. 

13 hours ago, proton said:

Can't the Thaiger spell -extension based on retirement? Seems to be staffed by kids, I am wary about anything written by that lot.

There are a lot of copy and pasted articles shared by both publications.

Aseannow has many articles every week from Mr Newton, it's only a matter of time before the amalgamation of both publications. 
AseanTiger or ThaiNow coming soon

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Newbie? I have been here 8 years with this profile and yet you have been here 2 years with your profile ?

Yes. I'm, just going by what the forum says against your name.  But, if you're so well acquainted with the forum (and it's rules, presumably) why the harsh dig at the OP, Admin/Webfact, ("misleading load of tosh") ?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes. I'm, just going by what the forum says against your name.  But, if you're so well acquainted with the forum (and it's rules, presumably) why the harsh dig at the OP, Admin/Webfact, ("misleading load of tosh") ?

Good question, "why?", answer, so that inexperience people are not mislead by false reporting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. How about this for one: Renew once a year, not reapply,  without having to worry about visa runs or other complications. 

That's a perk?

On 4/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, Lemsta69 said:

The email reminder system failed just recently and caught a few people out, so best not to rely on it.

Yes, I know. It didn't totally fail as I got my email 3 days before the due date. Obviously useless for online submission but at least it gave you a kick to go the IO.

16 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

Yes, I know. It didn't totally fail as I got my email 3 days before the due date. Obviously useless for online submission but at least it gave you a kick to go the IO.

Yes my reminder was a bit late this time... fortunately I set up my own and am not concerned about 'losing a few days' by being early.

• Thumbs Up 1

I moved up country and everyone told me I would have to do my new 90 days report at the immigration office which is hours away and a full day is gone..

So I called and asked if I could post my info including a copy of my lease a TM47 and a TM30 and the young lady said no problem.

In 3 days they sent me back a new 90 day report and as my house is on the mother in laws land they sent her copy to me also.

Since then I have done all my 90 days reports on line and I get an email confirming its in motion and one saying it has been done as quick as within 24 hours....Just download them, print and stick it in my passport.

One thing I did notice......I applied early because of Songkhran and my new 90 days was valid from the day after I applied NOT from the date my previous one ran out. 

On 4/20/2023 at 5:46 AM, skatewash said:

What a bizarre article! The legal requirement for 90-Day Reporting of your address to immigration has absolutely no connection to "keeping your retirement extension alive."  No one in history has lost their retirement extension by failing to do a 90-Day Report.  The consequence for not doing a 90-Day report is limited to the following: a 2,000 baht fine and a notation made in your passport that you were late In filing your 90-Day Report. 

The only thing that keeps your retirementra extension alive Is a re-entry permit obtained from immigration for 1,900 baht (single) or 3,800 baht (multiple)..  Whether youn file a 90-Day Report or not has no bearing at all on this issue.

The article mistakenly considers them to be intertwined.  They are not.

The cost of a single re entry permit is 1,000, not 1,900

• Like 1