Government says household electricity charges will be eased

webfact

image.png

The government has offered an assurance that the electricity charge for households for May through August will be 4.77 baht per unit, instead of the 5.24 baht for the January-April period, according to Government Spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri.

Responding to complaints from householders about the sharp increases in their electricity bills during the hot season, he said that the Energy Regulatory Commission has set the Fuel Tariff (FT) at 98.27 satang/unit for household and non-household electricity, bringing the average electricity charge at 4.77 baht/unit for May through August.

The charge for the months of January until April for households was based on the cost of liquefied natural gas (LNG,) which has increased substantially since late last year due to the increased imports of LNG to offset the shortfall in domestic LNG from the Gulf of Thailand and the war in Ukraine, he said.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/government-says-household-electricity-charges-will-be-eased/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

It’s good the government heard the screams and are helping people out…

But are they really? Does anyone actually believe anything that comes out of the unelected, caretaker, "there will be no coup" PM's mouth?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Domestic electricity prices have to remain high and poor people will have to pay the price.......it's the only way to off-set the electricity costs of CP and protect their ever increasing profit margins.

Maybe not so funny. The Bangkok Post has an article today where the hotels are demanding they pay only 3.50 to 4.00.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

That's nice for you, maybe not for those Thais who are out of work or on the minimum wage.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Not if you're the average Thai living off the local economy. 

Over the last year or so discounts and free months have offset most if not all of the increases for the poor.

3 minutes ago, loong said:

Over the last year or so discounts and free months have offset most if not all of the increases for the poor.

What makes you think it's just about "the poor." Yes, they're hit the hardest, but I referred to "the average Thai." This has socked them in the wallet, too. It may be nothing for the average farang to pay a thousand to two extra on their electricity each month, but I can tell you it effects many, many average people getting ready to scrape up money for school tuition, uniforms, and other expenses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Mine certainly wasn't.....largest ever. Got guests in the spare bedroom so in fear of next month!

You better CHARGE Them then M8........555 !!....750 a Night inc A/C & Full Brekkie Ain't that bad.....555 !

Edited by Nong Khai Man

We could start a "highest electricity bill ever" thread.

The heat wave takes it's toll.

My meter will be read on the 23rd and I have done an estimate from today.

Will be a 4xxx bill. Never had in 11 years.

(average over all 5.4 Baht/unit, ~ 14 Euro Cent)

I will not complain to some Thai neighbors who live on a four digit income.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

What makes you think it's just about "the poor." Yes, they're hit the hardest, but I referred to "the average Thai." This has socked them in the wallet, too. It may be nothing for the average farang to pay a thousand to two extra on their electricity each month, but I can tell you it effects many, many average people getting ready to scrape up money for school tuition, uniforms, and other expenses. 

And it causes general inflation, Thailand is less competitive worldwide...means less jobs, means lower salaries. Electric influence almost everything.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...