On a long-distance bus/coach journey, how safe are my bags?

Badger18

I would have to out some stuff under the coach that I really don't want to lose. When it stops on the way, do they just open the luggage compartment up and let people grab their own bags, or how does it work?

This would be in the south if that makes any difference.

i always keep my bag with me as i travel light

ive seen kids down below in those storage areas and have heard a few tales of them digging thru bags

depends on the carrier or course..choose wisely.....

or as noted keep the goodies with you and leave the less valuables in the bag below

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never had a problem over the years.

Still, all valuables are in the bag I have on my seat and always take with me.

Years ago, big buses starting from Khao San Road were reported to be risky when it comes to luggage. Some small guys went - during the drive - through a small door to the luggage compartment and started digging the bags, stealing valuable. There were stories like that.

6 minutes ago, xxeo said:

Never had a problem over the years.

Still, all valuables are in the bag I have on my seat and always take with me.

Years ago, big buses starting from Khao San Road were reported to be risky when it comes to luggage. Some small guys went - during the drive - through a small door to the luggage compartment and started digging the bags, stealing valuable. There were stories like that.

I heard those stories too. I guess that's why I paid only 160 baht for a ticket from Ratchadamnoen Klang all the way to Koh Samui when the same trip was 400-something baht at Sai Tai Mai. Robbing the bagpackers subsidised the cost ????

Now that I think about it, I read those stories on the old Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum which sadly has now disappeared.

Do not put valuables in luggage that is in the hold.

Always keep your valuables with you and keep them safe.

I have not read anything lately, but there were a number of reported cases years ago (newspapers and this site) where someone would hide in the hold and go through any bags there.

Passports were a favourite target.

I stress that this was some years ago.

• Like 2

Depends on what type of bus, single decker with side loading only and no access from inside the bus, can watch people take baggage at stops. 

Double decker with access to the hold from inside, normally only the crew/conductor have access to that so it all depends on them; government buses have a good reputation.

6 hours ago, stoner said:

every single day literally 100s of thousands of people take the bus without an incident. 

absolutely true but others do lose things.. the odds are way against it, but you must be aware that it can and does happen...

A friend of mine had an iphone lifted by an older lady, just because she saw an opportunity while he slept and lifted out of his bag that was next to him. He was able to track it and did get it back with help from local police. 

If it is something of importance, like $$ and passports, I would always keep it secured on my person... if you have something that you cannot afford to lose, keep it tight...

I keep my bags under my eyes. 

Five adult family took long distance bus in neighboring country to Thailand border. My son’s expensive camera was taken from under bus storage. It had to be at the initial point because 

the only time the storage was open before starting the journey. He didn’t lock his bag.