What's life like for a single older expat in isaan?

georgegeorgia

Ain't read any of this thread, but spent a month in Issan last May - Bored outa my nut - Seriously considered opening up a Zimmer Frame shop - No beach & full of super old timers on their last legs who still think they are Gods gift to woman - The most boring month of my life.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ningnong said:

This beloved poster, how old, what was his appearance and did he have the language skills to chat up a young Issan woman? If the typical expat he was at least 60 with a belly dressed sloppy and no local language skills. Did he expect to just roll in and have the "good girl" open her legs after a few furtive glances?

I have a lot respect and humorous affection for this person, who walked the walk and followed his dream.

His Thai was medium(ish). He was early 50's, and prone to highlighting his gym-toned body here. He mentioned that he always showered before going out on the evening prowl. Respect.

He says he pulled a couple in the region for free. So double-respect.

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Ain't read any of this thread, but spent a month in Issan last May - Bored outa my nut - Seriously considered opening up a Zimmer Frame shop - No beach & full of super old timers on their last legs who still think they are Gods gift to woman - The most boring month of my life.

What city?

20 to 40yos enjoy nightlife and night markets. All the main cities have that. Doyle shows none of that. Don't know what he was doing at night. Udon has some large restaurants with singing and rooftop bar. Why wouldn't you show that? 

1 minute ago, bignok said:

20 to 40yos enjoy nightlife and night markets. All the main cities have that. Doyle shows none of that. Don't know what he was doing at night. Udon has some large restaurants with singing and rooftop bar. Why wouldn't you show that? 

Gotta say, some day science will be able to determine the diff between one night market and another.

Just like you fervently want more roof top singing heavy in your YouTube mix, I'd like to see a ban on all footage of hippies eating meat on a stick. These videos are 20 minute long. In your estimation, what % should just be ga-ga scenery going by?

I look forward to your tales of Udon high life.

Did you too lift your voice in song, or is that another no-go area for you to discuss?

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Gotta say, some day science will be able to determine the diff between one night market and another.

Just like you fervently want more roof top singing heavy in your YouTube mix, I'd like to see a ban on all footage of hippies eating meat on a stick. These videos are 20 minute long. In your estimation, what % should just be ga-ga scenery going by?

I look forward to your tales of Udon high life.

Did you too lift your voice in song, or is that another no-go area for you to discuss?

Some markets get major artists singing. Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen do. Saw one of Thailand's biggest artists. Went to a restaurant with live rock band and good food.

This is better than 77 repeats of Dreamy leaks oil.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

I prefer the north or coastal. Isaan has appeal though in some towns. I liked Nakhon Si Thammarat more than I thought.

Yes,

Luckily I have a big family and children.  Huge, beautiful house.

But I need more.  It's always a struggle find descent fruit and vegetable as if parts of Issan are an afterthought for fresh deliveries.   

Actually off to Pattaya with the wife for the week. Good food,  nice hotel.   

I'll miss our kids though. 

40 minutes ago, bignok said:

Paddy spent 4 or 5 days in each province on a scooter. I went to some of the same places and covered more things in 2 or 3 days in a car. Have a look at his Kalasin video. 50% is on the dinosaur museum. 

Im quite Happy to ride motorbikes in Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Loei, Nong Khai and Udon Thani as a city in Isan. These provinces is my favorites in Isan. 

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im quite Happy to ride motorbikes in Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Loei, Nong Khai and Udon Thani as a city in Isan. These provinces is my favorites in Isan. 

A scooter is not a real motorbike. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why doesn't the OP do a road trip. Rent a car for a month. Do the top 6 cities.

Just don't come anywhere near here , or at least post in advance his itinerary so we can clear out for a week.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why doesn't the OP do a road trip. Rent a car for a month. Do the top 6 cities.

Far be it from me to split hairs but, there are not any cities in Isaan. In fact, the only city in Thailand is Bangkok.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Just because you seem to dislike Isaan it doesn't mean it isn't a nice place. 

I didn't write I dislike it. It's more like that I don't see anything very positive about it which would motivate me to live there. 

Reading post here since years it seems the members who live there live there because their wife or gf wants to live there. And then they so what the wife wants.

Did we ever have any member here who wrote something like: "I decided to move to this and that village up country because I love it so much." ?

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did we ever have any member here who wrote something like: "I decided to move to this and that village up country because I love it so much." ?

As a 20 year reader here, I'n going to go with no. 

It may have happened. But like the guy above me, they've all been sworn to secrecy. it may overlap with their time in Special Forces.

A lot of the happy fish farming stories are from people who did similar things in their home country. I really enjoyed growing my own tomato's, but if I never do it again, I'd be good. When I'm mega-old, I'll prob get back into it.

This bland observation will probably feel over-agressive to some sensitive roof top warbler "-Whhh-why are you telling me this? I don't knowwwww you".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Far be it from me to split hairs but, there are not any cities in Isaan. In fact, the only city in Thailand is Bangkok.

The peanut is neither pea nor nut. It is a legume.

Am I right?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't write I dislike it. It's more like that I don't see anything very positive about it which would motivate me to live there. 

Reading post here since years it seems the members who live there live there because their wife or gf wants to live there. And then they so what the wife wants.

Im happy ???? but Im not stuck, and thats the thing when you move to Thailand. Dont make yourself stuck one place. Are you stuck in Bangkok One M F?

Can you restart anyplace if you want?

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was 28 and single when I first arrived in Isaan. I came to teach kids in the poorer schools basic English. I enjoyed it so much I stayed beyond the original 3 months that my air ticket was valid for.

I met a lovely lady and we had a daughter and got married, in that order. 555.

In those days there was not much demand for foreign teachers where we were. We move to a suburb of Bangkok so I could work. Hated virtually every moment of the 5 years we were there. Busy, noisy, hot, bad air pollution and generally not to our taste.

As soon as opportunities arose for work back home we moved as quickly as we could. Back in Isaan is much more what we like.

So, there you are. The first person you know of who moved to and lives in Isaan because they want to.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I was 28 and single when I first arrived in Isaan. I came to teach kid in the poorer schools basic English. I enjoyed it so much I stayed beyond the original 3 months that my air ticket was valid for.

In those days there was not much demand for foreign teachers where we were. We move to a suburb of Bangkok so I could work. Hated virtually every moment of the 5 years we were there. Busy, hot, bad air pollution and generally not to our taste.

As soon as opportunities arose for work back home we moved as quickly as we could. Back in Isaan is much more what we like.

So, there you are. The first person you know of who moved to and lives in Isaan because they want to.

Basically my idea to, bexause I already told her, it would never happen, but by time I got to like the idea, and thought it could be a decent good life up there without telling her. She also got a bungalow as well land when covid hit, then I knew the best place to be, was in the village. So now he know two? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Basically my idea to, bexause I already told her, it would never happen, but by time I got to like the idea, and thought it could be a decent good life up there without telling her. She also got a bungalow as well land when covid hit, then I knew the best place to be, was in the village. So now he know two? 

I arrived with a friend from UK. He's still in Isaan because he likes it too. 

That makes 3.

• Haha 1

i lived 18 years in Isaan, got married, was working, bought a property with my ex-wife, divorced, started other businesses….

isaan is a very nice part of Thailand, especially if you speak Thai.

i learned it, worked with Thai lawyers for 15 years, I thought my life was fantastic until I met my ex girlfriend!!!!

ps: forgot to say I was 35 when I arrived.

Edited by ThaiLawOnline

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im happy ???? but Im not stuck, and thats the thing when you move to Thailand. Dont make yourself stuck one place. Are you stuck in Bangkok One M F?

Can you restart anyplace if you want?

Now I am more stuck in Bangkok than 1 year ago because I bought a condominium in the middle of Bangkok. In the last 25 years since I live in Thailand I could have move to anywhere in Thailand and to many other countries. I am a computer professional and with that I can get work almost anywhere.

But I like Bangkok and Sukhumvit. And I like being in the same area which I know well. I don't want to move. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I was 28 and single when I first arrived in Isaan. I came to teach kids in the poorer schools basic English. I enjoyed it so much I stayed beyond the original 3 months that my air ticket was valid for.

In those days there was not much demand for foreign teachers where we were. We move to a suburb of Bangkok so I could work. Hated virtually every moment of the 5 years we were there. Busy, noisy, hot, bad air pollution and generally not to our taste.

Wonderful.

But now, for a moment, imagine you wouldn't have met that lovely lady and had a daughter and got married. Would you have stayed in Isaan? 

It's a genuine question. Obviously I don't know you and maybe you would have stayed there. But there was a time when you suburb of Bangkok for work. Maybe there will be a time when you move again to the suburb of Bangkok so that your daughter can go to a reasonably good university. Or maybe you need a good hospital nearby. 

If it would be just to sit at night watching the stars I would also prefer to be up country. But then there is the rest of the day and all those things which are not out there.