Best Starting Salary for University grads

EVENKEEL

For those of us with kids here in Thailand, what do you envision your son or daughter becoming someday? I mean profession wise. Here in Thailand a good education is required to have a life where you don't live paycheck to paycheck. So, what baht amount per month would you consider your kid made it good.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, what baht amount per month would you consider your kid made it good.

I have no personal experience with this. But it seems to me that for many Thais the salary alone is not so important. There are lots of people who want to be police officers even when everybody is complaining that their salary is so low. And then there are doctors, teachers, people who work in the local or central administration, etc.

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

For those of us with kids here in Thailand, what do you envision your son or daughter becoming someday?

My vision for my children is to work and retire in Europe, New Zealand or Australia. I keep their passports up to date and let them make their own choices as regard to study and career. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

My vision for my children is to work and retire in Europe, New Zealand or Australia. I keep their passports up to date and let them make their own choices as regard to study and career. 

So move to a less fun country.

• Confused 7

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Teach them to be tech gurus. Better than being a wage slave.

I'm not sure what some professions pay. Doctor of course, I assume are top earners. Then you have pharmacists, seems like it should be a good paying gig. Own your own pharmacy.

I'd be inclined to say engineering would be solid choice. Finance could be good. Surely we have some success stories of kids landing a high paid job out of school.

• Thumbs Up 1

Life, and work, in Thailand could be sweet IF you got some skills.

Examples:

fluency in 3 languages (Thai incl.) + Enginering Degree (Local) + Master Degree (International)

fluency in 3 languages (Thai incl.) + Law Degree (Local) + Post Graduate Degree (International)

Edited by Fab5BKK

15 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

My understanding is you need a uni degree just to work as a checkout girl for Lotus's!

I realise you’re joking. However, it does seem that a substantial number of graduates are working at 7-11.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:01 PM, Fab5BKK said:

Life, and work, in Thailand could be sweet IF you got some skills experience

There sorted that.????

What employers want is someone who can do the job.

So after uni take any job that will give you experience in the chosen field.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

There sorted that.????

What employers want is someone who can do the job.

So after uni take any job that will give you experience in the chosen field.

The title was:

Best Starting Salary for University grads...

And my answer was in line with the question...

"Life, and work, in Thailand could be sweet IF you got some skills (skills: the ability to do something well)

Examples:

fluency in 3 languages (Thai incl.) + Enginering Degree (Local) + Master Degree (International)

fluency in 3 languages (Thai incl.) + Law Degree (Local) + Post Graduate Degree (International)"

Edited by Fab5BKK

the thai friend's children work as, for example, accountant, economist, lawyer, business owner, most went to ABAC, CU or TU and several did Masters abroad. good jobs are there if you're smart enough to get to a decent uni, work hard  and have the right attitude, very similar to my friend's kids in the uk.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:30 AM, Adumbration said:

Careers in tech moving forward are extremely high risk as 80 to 90% of all coding and design work will be done by AI agents.  That is why the giants like Twitter and Facebook are cutting thousands of jobs.  It is now possible for just one senior engineer to run entire development projects using AI agents.  It is going to be very difficult for new tech graduates to get a start, how can they possible compete with AI that already codes (for free) at a swift and advanced level.

VC and seed capital firms are facing massive write downs at the moment on the start ups they have invested in.  Just a year or so ago it might take a couple of million to staff a project to boot strap it.  And this was reflected in the valuation of the company.  However the same outcomes can now be achieved with a couple of hundred thousand with two and three people startups that use AI to do the heavy lifting.

Law is now a buggy whip profession also.  Over the next few years all paralegals will be replaced by AI.  Lawyers will also eventually be replaced entirely.

Journalism, copywriting, proofreading, graphic design, and teaching are just some of the many other professions that are dead end jobs as of today.

Interesting thoughts - not sure if I understand how creative thinking will be taken over by AI...