Pattaya Police and Immigration Authorities Inspect Entertainment Venues for Illegal Foreigners and Overstays

webfact

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Just what you want to happen on a night out while on holiday... treasured memories of your visit to Thailand.

I think nobody has ever experienced this more than once on a trip here or even in a year. It hasn't happened to me yet and I've been here a year. A lot of complaining and scaremongering about nothing

• Confused 5

Hollywood is NOT tourist oriented venue but a Thai venue. 

I was once caught up in one of those raids on Walking street, was poorly organised, 3 baht bus loads of us were dragged to tourist police station. 

Pic of passport was not accepted, after few hours hanging around the station we were all released

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Hollywood is NOT tourist oriented venue but a Thai venue. 

I was once caught up in one of those raids on Walking street, was poorly organised, 3 baht bus loads of us were dragged to tourist police station. 

Pic of passport was not accepted, after few hours hanging around the station we were all released

Makes me think. I note that such raids have regularly taken place at venues away from the tourist strip. I wonder if there's a presumption that overstayers might avoid the tourist strip for fear of being caught?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Means nothing for you maybe, I was talking about those who were subjected to this treatment.

Just because you haven't had the pleasure yet doesn't mean it's nothing

What's even remotely unpleasant about being asked to show a passport or photo thereof or having to urinate in a bottle. In my country random drivers, including tourists, are routinely asked to do drug tests and are subjected to ID checks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

In other words it was a total waste of police resources as well as salaries in normal circumstances if your going to do a raid is normally down to information that you have be given prior to the raid no doubt the news has most. Probably hit the Chinese and HongKong media which might have an effect on visitors from those two countries  

Why are they so paranoide of visa over stayers, wouldn't the police be better suited cleaning up the corruption in the country and a large portion of it is within their own ranks, addressing the appalling road fatalities, the illegal fire starters in the northern part of the country and addressing the growing major crimes that are occurring in Thailand. 

The Joe Ferrari scenario, there was so much blatant evidence that this guy was up to his neck in corruption. Then there is the Red Bull heir scenario which they openly do nothing about. 

Honestly the law enforcement agencies public image is such a disgrace, do they not feel ashamed?? Do the leaders not feel ashamed that they are in positions of power and all this shananigins is going on under their watch?  they swore to address these issues but do nothing accept talk and behind the scenes are often the perpetrators !! Its a pretty sad day for the average Thai, this beautiful countries people deserve a fair go!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

In other words it was a total waste of police resources as well as salaries in normal circumstances if your going to do a raid is normally down to information that you have be given prior to the raid no doubt the news has most. Probably hit the Chinese and HongKong media which might have an effect on visitors from those two countries  

The police a re constantly catching overstayers. How is that a waste of resources? I imagine you'd be one of the first to cry foul if illegal immigrants were left alone in your country.

• Sad 1

If they, TAT / Police want credibility, why don't they carry out searches in bars frequented in the main by Russians?

Or have / are the swathes of Soviet immigrants paying tasty 'baksheesh' to local TAT officers to turn the other cheek while siphoning their roubles through the Thai banking system out of view of sanctions?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Makes me think. I note that such raids have regularly taken place at venues away from the tourist strip. I wonder if there's a presumption that overstayers might avoid the tourist strip for fear of being caught?

just look at the breakdown of who was found, the so called foreigners were all Chinese.. Perhaps the new target are the Chinese and are by far bigger problem than police reporting

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It's definitely not funny, I was caught up in one many years ago in BKK, first thing all the lights go on and the music stops, In our case even though we was clear we were made to stay there until they were complete. and we couldn't buy another drink. 

So if no one was arrested, you were actually kidnapped?

Ah yes. I'm sure this is the most important thing on the RTP's docket.

No drugs. No violent crime. Just overstays.

Man, Pattaya must have changed a lot (spoiler alert, it hasn't).

Some of these guys should get up early in the morning and deal with the massive party every day on Jomtien Beach all night and morning where all kinds of laws are being broken. Drugs are being sold in the open. But I guess that's less important to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, brucegoniners said:

Ah yes. I'm sure this is the most important thing on the RTP's docket.

No drugs. No violent crime. Just overstays.

Man, Pattaya must have changed a lot (spoiler alert, it hasn't).

Some of these guys should get up early in the morning and deal with the massive party every day on Jomtien Beach all night and morning where all kinds of laws are being broken. Drugs are being sold in the open. But I guess that's less important to them.

Because the police can't walk, talk and chew gum at the same time?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Interesting.

Yes i was 'caught' in the Manila quite a few years ago, actually in P Burgos St, Makati city. I was in a bar, just having a drink with a few of the girls and the NBI burst in, dressed in black, all armed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes i was 'caught' in the Manila quite a few years ago, actually in P Burgos St, Makati city. I was in a bar, just having a drink with a few of the girls and the NBI burst in, dressed in black, all armed.

Back in '94 I lived in P Burgos Street for a few months. Opposite Dimples Bar. One of the girls from that bar borrowed my camera to go for a wedding in the province. She brought it back a week later and returned the favor.  There weren't many NBI around in those days but there were plenty in AC raiding bars. We always carried a photocopy of our passports then.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Yes I do. You know, you could answer your own questions if you were motivated enough to do some online research. Most countries have reasonably aggressive immigrant policies. I'm from the US and the things they do to immigrants there are horrendous - taking little kids away from their parents, deporting the parents without keeping track of where they go, and keeping the children warehoused in chain link cages. They are still trying to unite families that were separated under Trump in 2017 - 2020. No health care is provided and children have died from such things as the flu, migrants have been shot and beaten to death by ICE guards.  

The problem isn't that they're not motivated to do their own research so much as they are motivated not to do their own research.

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Yes I do. You know, you could answer your own questions if you were motivated enough to do some online research. Most countries have reasonably aggressive immigrant policies. I'm from the US and the things they do to immigrants there are horrendous - taking little kids away from their parents, deporting the parents without keeping track of where they go, and keeping the children warehoused in chain link cages. They are still trying to unite families that were separated under Trump in 2017 - 2020. No health care is provided and children have died from such things as the flu, migrants have been shot and beaten to death by ICE guards.  

Once in a blue moon, CNN gets it wrong????.