Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Daughters passport

Hello. I am looking for a bit of advise. My wife is trying to renew my 11 year old daughters Thai passport, which only has 6 months left, so they can come to the uk for a holiday. I am in th uk working just now, but the passport office in Thailand says i must be there to sign for it. A power of attorney form was suggested but it needs to be verified by the British Embassy in Thailand. Is there a way round this to save me having to take a very short trip to Thailand to sign for it. I just came back to uk in February and am very busy with work just now. My daughter does not have a uk passport yet. They were hoping to come over for a month. I would appreciate any advice. Regards. Steven. 

I spoke to a legal firm here in Bangkok, the woman lawyer I spoke with advised to take your power of attorney to the Thai Embassy in the UK to get it completed. A consulate would likely suffice.

Good luck, hope you see your wife and daughter soon

Edited by blackcab
Link removed
  • Thumbs Up 1

If your daughter is British she needs to get her UK passport, as she won't be able to get a UK visa in her Thai passport.  

If a person who is a British citizen, or has the right of abode in the UK, applies for a visitor visa or for settled status to be entered into a foreign passport, the application should be refused. This is because section 1(1) of the Immigration Act 1971 confers complete exemption from UK immigration control on persons with the right of abode, subject to proof of that right. As such a person with the right of abode in the UK should not be given leave to enter or remain under the Immigration Rules. If you have a visa application from a person who you are satisfied has the right of abode in the UK, the person should be advised to apply for a certificate of entitlement instead.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/right-of-abode-roa/right-of-abode-roa?fbclid=IwAR1kZx7pRzRtmoCDHijtjmuF2NLEvyATgKCAJ-ebRqc3B7qLuxaGF9bqOLI

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some years ago I was in the same situation. A PoA was not necessary, but a letter of consent was and it needed to be witnessed by the Thai embassy or consulate where I was at the time.

Here's a link that explains. 

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/95928-thai-passport-for-minors-under-20-years-of-age

Although this website may be geared towards those requesting passports abroad, it is also, I believe, applicable to passport issuance in Thailand.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu

More nonsense.  

You need to fill in and sign a POA for your wife. The POA has a line on it saying why you are giving her Power of Attorney.  Whatever is needed to legitimize it, you'll have to do.  

When i spoke to my wife this morning she was told wrong. I wrote the British embassy in Thailand, but it's the Thai embassy in Britain. The right af abode post may change things. I may have to just wait until i go back to get my daughter a British passport. 

• Thumbs Up 1