How to get rid of soi dogs the legal way

moogradod

15 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Probably best to sell up and buy a house in a gated compound; just about anywhere else in Thailand there will be soi dogs, especially if you have a house in a soi.

Sure, there are soi dogs in nearly every soi in Pattaya, but that doesn't mean there are soi dogs in front of every house. When I moved to a townhouse awhile back, there was a soi dog outside. After I moved in, there wasn't. It's not difficult to shoo them away - most are quite timid. 

about 10+ years ago we fixed this "problem" around our area with very cheap solar-charged motion activated Dazers. Installed them on the walls and that was it. Not even single mutt. Somehow they do not enjoy that buzz. Bought on Ebay.

23 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thank you. Maybe you are right and I will try the idea with the sonic device.

These devices seem to work. A pal of mine up north east way uses one and it freaks ALL the dogs out he has ever used it on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

you can't see how many soi dogs reside outside businesses all over Pattaya.

I'm here right now.

There's less than before the opening to be sure. Unfortunately you can't get rid of all of them. 

20230424_120141.jpg

20230424_100915.jpg

20230424_100851.jpg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

also, their crap will fertilise your frontage. Dogs in my small community are a constant menace. Not many are strays, most their owners just let them wander. Apart from picking up their waste, there's the constant noise from them, day and night. Some are even threatening. As you may guess, I've gone off dogs since I came here.

Well, I don't like them either.  But, at least he won't have dog crap outside his gate, because they dont crap where they sleep. 

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I'm here right now.

There's less than before the opening to be sure. Unfortunately you can't get rid of all of them. 

20230424_120141.jpg

20230424_100915.jpg

20230424_100851.jpg

You really are grasping at straws. You just can't stop.

You managed to take a photo of business with no soi dogs around. You're a regular genius. Anyone could do that. I could show you photos of hundreds of soi dogs in front of businesses around Pattaya...  but it's just a waste of forum bandwidth.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You've just hit upon the best and most humane way to get them to move on. Spray them with a garden hose. It won't take long before they find another place to hang out and sleep. If no hose, a bucket of water will do the trick.

my problem was it was 5 dogs at a thais house...so when they saw all the balloon pieces they came a looking for me!....

id be curious of those sonic devices would do the trick.....sneaky!

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Good idea!

found em at the 20 bt shop--or worst case could use condoms!.....wont comment on the contents of those balloons! ????

is satisfying to see them react to to a water bomb crash on that hot street at their feet...lol...and its just water--humane

might then get some kids hanging out looking to cool down!!!   ????

On 4/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, still kicking said:

s.jpg

I like that.  It has a nice shape and good form with a tall U opening to help prevent projectiles from hitting the thumb placed at the bottom of the U.   The elastic bands look a little weak but that is easily solved so is of little issue.   

Did you find this picture on the internet or did you buy one?   

On 4/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, jak2002003 said:

Why is it disturbing to you that 2 dogs are sleeping outside your gate? 

They probably belong to someone in your road / street / village.

Unless they are barking and howling all night keeping you awake, why not let sleeping dogs lie? 

They could be an advantage to you. They will bark and alert you to potential  burgers.  They will deter people from trespassing, and they will drive off cats, other dogs and even snakes. 

They will bark and alert you to potential  burgers.

Rather burgers than hotdogs I guess!

17 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

There was a Thai girl in Beach road a few years ago who kicked a stray dog ,

a very big  muscular New Zealander expat saw this and .. "sorted her out" ......so I wouldn't be doing that in Pattaya ,

I'm not sure if he is still around but he apparently every night feeds the homeless dogs ...he is very big tattooed bikie guy who used to get big donations on Facebook 

I think I know who you are writing about.  The last picture I saw of him, he had lost a lot of weight, was skinny, and looked to be in poor health.   I am an old fart in my early 70's and I looked to be in better health than he did in the picture!

On 4/24/2023 at 5:37 PM, Hummin said:

Just tell the neighbors with chicken, you see them chasing and killing them. They are soon gone! 

Isan humor not recommended and my biggest fear when it comes to my animals who stay at the farm, but every time there is new dogs in the area, they put out dead chickens with poison. 

I have never seen or heard of people in Isaan putting out poisoned chickens out to kill street dogs. That would be really expensive and a waste of both chicken and dogs!

In our village, every two-three weeks there is a truck coming, and for dogs who bite or chase chickens, they hand out a trinket (most often a plastic tub to wash clothes). It is said, the truck then drives on to Laos -- but funny enough, I had friends bring over sun-dried dog meat as a side dish for drinking often enough that I think not all make it even to the Mekhong.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jts-khorat said:

I have never seen or heard of people in Isaan putting out poisoned chickens out to kill street dogs. That would be really expensive and a waste of both chicken and dogs!

In our village, every two-three weeks there is a truck coming, and for dogs who bite or chase chickens, they hand out a trinket (most often a plastic tub to wash clothes). It is said, the truck then drives on to Laos -- but funny enough, I had friends bring over sun-dried dog meat as a side dish for drinking often enough that I think not all make it even to the Mekhong.

I know 3 dogs killed by chicken my 4 years living here. One stray dog with no home, but he killed his own dog at the same time,  and one thai hunting dog belonging to our auntie. I also find snare traps in the forrest around our earea, which can kill out cat.

On 4/24/2023 at 1:19 PM, moogradod said:
On 4/24/2023 at 1:16 PM, Myran said:

You. You are talking about two. A "couple" is two.

"A couple" may as well mean "some".

I'm sure your wife, if you have one, would not like to be a part of your definition of a couple.

a couple is 2. No more, no less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

As far as soi dogs outside businesses, I see them all the time outside 7/11 entrance door to grab some aircon, no-one seems to care and happy to walk around (dogs don't bother anyone)

We had one at our 7-11 that wandered in and went to sit near the open chilled display cabinet at the back. Surprised it left the packaged hams and hot dogs alone. Workers said it was the owner keeping an eye on things. 

A clear case of foreigners with money thinking that they own the place. 

Sad. 
I understand the need to control the population, but it’s sad when people come to Thailand and want to eliminate the things that make Thailand different from their home countries. I love that they retain an element of nature. Learn to live in harmony with nature. Because if you forget how, it’s downhill from there. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are you still referring to the OP and his desire to remove a couple of soi dogs in front of his home? If so, perhaps he does own that place and surely has a right to move them on, rather than risk a nip and obligatory rabies jabs. The op doesn't want to kill them.

He doesn’t own the area ‘outside his home’. It seems that you suffer from a similar misapprehension as he. He also has a problem with understanding the meaning of “a couple”. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are you still referring to the OP and his desire to remove a couple of soi dogs in front of his home? If so, perhaps he does own that place and surely has a right to move them on, rather than risk a nip and obligatory rabies jabs. The op doesn't want to kill them.

No he doesn’t want to kill them, he wants to Taser them. Sick. 
There is absolutely no danger to himself. The dogs will quickly recognise that it is his territory and likely see off any intruders. Of course he doesn’t need that. But his irrational fears lead him to think about Tasering dogs that have caused him no harm. Absolutely sickening. 

6 minutes ago, proton said:

Some of the difference here is just ignorance and backwardness, soi dogs have nothing to do with nature, the millions of these pests are a result of human ignorance and stupidity. Moving them on is not the answer, and sterilising them still leaves them around being pests. All that does is reduce the population growth very slightly. They need to be got rid of if Thailand is ever going to look like a decent developed country not infested with dirty diseased strays all over the place

As soon as I saw your name pop up in my notifications, I already knew there would be a ‘dog-hating’ comment. I don’t even need to read what you have written and won’t bother to do so. Dismissed!

On 4/24/2023 at 7:00 PM, MrJ2U said:

Most Thais just throw rocks or coconuts at the soi dogs. 

Best just let the lethal project fly and worry about legal  (won't be any)  repercussions later. 

You might tell your neighbors first just in case it's there stray dog so there forewarned.  

Throw rocks  then complain the dogs bite them 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

He doesn’t own the area ‘outside his home’. It seems that you suffer from a similar misapprehension as he. He also has a problem with understanding the meaning of “a couple”. 

Well, I suspect the dogs do not own it either.

I deterred the dogs that were using the front of my home as a toilet too..

• Like 2