How to get rid of soi dogs the legal way

moogradod

On 4/24/2023 at 11:46 PM, Stevey said:

Would anybody or anyone like my opinion ( I ask this because I’m not preferring my opinion if it’s not going to be appreciated). 

If I get enough, one like, interest, I’ll give my 2 Satangeth. 

I meant proffering, not preferring, but I couldn’t edit it. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, moogradod said:

Who is talking about 2 ? There are at least 5. Just now. But they multiply. A burglar alarm while we are at home is not needed. And who cares if they would (they even would not I suspect) bark if someone tries to enter our home while we are away ?

If they would belong to someone in the soi, why would they not stay there. Not one is wearing any identification either. Som nam na.

borrow a van..buy some chopped up wagyu prime beef..open the doors toss in the beef...in go the doggies..shut the door and take them for a ride...but not to Sankamphaeng area.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 7:00 PM, MrJ2U said:

Most Thais just throw rocks or coconuts at the soi dogs. 

Best just let the lethal project fly and worry about legal  (won't be any)  repercussions later. 

You might tell your neighbors first just in case it's there stray dog so there forewarned.  

Yes our soi is completely dog-free since 14 years back, and it was me that arranged that. It was surpricingly easy.... As soon as I saw a dog there a throw stones at them, not on them though... I did it frequently day after day and night after night and after a week about, no more dogs....

From time to time new generation of stray dogs come by  and do not know about the stone-throwing, but they learn quickly.....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi

I found this topic after Googling problem soi dogs. Quite an amusing thread (in UK, a "couple" is definitely two, and only two....????).

Anyway, I live in Pratumnak Hill, top soi 4, Sombat condos. Opposite is a 7-11 (what else?!) on a little junction with a food stall. If you live here, you'll know where I mean. 

I don't mind soi dogs as long as they don't disturb me.  But, we now have about 5 or 6, plus a couple that belong to this food seller (his house is also on the corner), and many times throughout the day and night, 24/7, they are having yowling and barking sessions.... its getting <deleted> ridiculous.  And of course, the Thai numpty just stands there looking at them. It normally kicks off - I think - between his dogs and soi dogs. But whatever..... can I just shoot them all in the head? ????????

Seriously though. I'll video the next session.....my balcony looks right over the action. They are really starting to get on my nerves and I'm guessing, lots of other people too. Some people just don't like the sound of dogs barking anyway, and I'm one of them. 

I'm gonna start a movement!!! LOL!

Any ideas?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Ultrasound unit, giving out a annoying signal that only can be heard by dogs ?

I tried one of those and it doesn't seem to bother the dogs but irritates me.....

A bigger one that made their ears bleed might be an idea. 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:05 PM, jak2002003 said:

Why is it disturbing to you that 2 dogs are sleeping outside your gate? 

They probably belong to someone in your road / street / village.

Unless they are barking and howling all night keeping you awake, why not let sleeping dogs lie? 

They could be an advantage to you. They will bark and alert you to potential  burgers.  They will deter people from trespassing, and they will drive off cats, other dogs and even snakes. 

"Why is it disturbing to you

They probably

Unless they are

They could be.."

So the answer might be somewhere in there....

If you Google "142 Thapparaya Road" and use Google View you'll see 1/2 mile homeless camp across Gran Caribean Hotel.

At night they have 10-15 dogs there, sleeping along the road and often on the sidewalk. Very dangerous spot to pass!

Also dark alleys in Pratamnak are patrolled by mean dogs. I try to take other street but if not I wait for a local man or woman and go with them. They seem to know how to talk to them or take a stick and whack to the nose of the leader...

I've seen 40 kg young Thai girl to do that! It worked, dogs run away in hurry. Me? Was hiding behind her....

• 2 months later...

Agreed about the Soi dogs in Pattaya, especially around Pratamnak Hill to Tharapaya Road.

I am someone very cautious around dogs, given a few non-provoked incidents as a child. Recently I began morning runs/walks in the area where other people also exercise (Big Buddha, Pattaya Park etc, and down to Beach Road.

I broadened my walk (no run) on Sunday (October 2023) and was in the Queen Sukivit (?) park. Interestingly, there were no people after the high point at the top of the hill. I continued walking and a big black (Soi) dog began aggressively barking and following me, so I tried to ignore it. It was the pack leader. In a very short time, there were over fifty Soi dogs coming from all directions off mounds toward the lower open area I was in, all barking. Very scary. I continued to ignore them and all but the pack leader went back to where they came from. The black dog continued to follow me growling and barking continuously, so I looked around trying to find a safer place, and as I did so, it lunged and bit me hard on my calf, with its canine teeth sinking deep and breaking the skin of my calf in an arc.

I did not attack the dog, but kept walking.

Since then I have attended the hospital daily for wound dressing and have had the first two of five rabies injections. Expensive. I am a nearly 70-year-old aged pensioner. Last night, on walking back home along Tharapraya Road, another SOI dog rushed at me barking and growling. It was in the Mua Thai exercise area at the top of the Hill near the Police station roundabout.

Needless to say, I for the first time in my life, had a cold shiver down my scalp to my spine. 

The road down to Residence four where all the buses park has around two dozen dogs in there, howling throughout the night, wandering across the road, and chasing some scooters. They are very alert and are a potential risk to pedestrians and motorists.

These dogs are regularly fed.

Be aware - research has found that up to 16% of Soi dogs carry rabies.

It would be good if the Partaya authorities could investigate and act on the known issue. Apparently, 1.3% of tourists are bitten by dogs, and the cost is extremely high. Thailand is a known problem in the ASEAN area for Soi dog hassles.

By the way, the person who commented about non-dog lover complainers, I truly hope you or your relatives are not bitten or mauled, or even mobbed by these animals. I understand the Buddhist sentiment and I am not in Thailand to alter the culture - but as a health professional and who has also worked in tourism, the Soi dog issue needs to be managed in a more comprehensive manner. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

i had a similar situation where they would come under the gate and killed a couple kittens.

i got pissed off and threw a couple rocks one day with the intent to maim or kill and they never came back after that.

i would never do that however unless they drew first blood.

Edited by JimTripper