Thailand’s Supreme Court upholds death penalty for school director who killed 3 in gold shop robbery

webfact

25 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The problem with the death penalty is, of course, that sometimes those who are not guilty are executed. Over 30 such cases in the USA in the last century. 

Now compare that to all the people who were released from jail only to kill again. Were those lives lost worth the cost of 30 errors? I bet I could find 30 of those myself just by using Google.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eano said:

What's more spending time in jail is much greater punishment, especially an Asian jail.

The problem with that notion in Thailand is... here.... even convicted murderers with life sentences have, in the past, later had their sentences reduced / commuted by the authorities -- sometimes several times in succession -- and have ended up eventually being released from prison.

I don't generally favor the death penalty... But in Thailand, unfortunately, a life sentence seems to not necessarily mean an actual life sentence.  And I really wouldn't want this guy out walking around anytime in the future.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-serial-killer-released-from-prison-arrested-again

https://www.jpost.com/national-news/thai-king-pardons-israeli-who-murdered-ex-wife-291629

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/hells-angles-biker-antonio-bagnato-to-be-freed-for-a-minute-then-re-arrested-over-a-new-murder-ng-1d97cd157ad27446a5e3d9d13fa0537e

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Who is"we"?

How can you offer compassion to a person guilty of a premeditated violent crime that directly caused the deaths of innocent people.   Give them 10 years?  Twenty years?  More?

The victims gave all their life.    

Let the families be the judge and decide the punishment.

Allow the guilty to choose between their type of execution with a few choices.   Rope, Gun, Chemical.

Take a life and forfeit yours.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Excellent. The beauty of the death penalty, is that the state does not have to bear the burden of a life in prison. If the crime is heinous enough, it just seems like the right thing to do. The only part I object to is the appeals process. If there are enough eye witnesses to a multiple murder, no appeal should be allowed. 60 days, and the perp is taken out. 

Would love to see the same in the US. Wonder if the mass murder rate would drop. You kill 3 or more. You die quickly, and without fuss. See ya. You have self revoked the right to consume oxygen. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There is no hell and there is no heaven. If you can prove otherwise with evidence and without quoting the bible please do so. State sanctioned murder should not exist on this planet. Just lock him up.

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Fair enough. You believe in God and therefore you believe in an eye for an eye, a life for a life, based on a book (Leviticus 24:19-24) then as you say...each to his own. 

That made me chuckle

17 hours ago, Badbanker said:

After 36 year living in Bangkok and having been to court as an interpreter hundreds of time I disagree!  There are only 2 types of lawyers in Thailand honest not rich lawyers and crooked rich lawyers!

So are you rich? 

• Confused 1

To those whom think the death penalty is cruel. This man murdered a toddler. If he has a conscience he will be haunted by that for the rest of his life. It would be kind to hang him and put him out of his misery

23 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There is no hell and there is no heaven. If you can prove otherwise with evidence and without quoting the bible please do so. State sanctioned murder should not exist on this planet. Just lock him up.

He killed 3 innocent people.  Why should he still have a life, albeit locked up for what would be just a few years. when his victims lives are gone? Murder deserves a death sentence every tme.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, RobU said:

To those whom think the death penalty is cruel. This man murdered a toddler. If he has a conscience he will be haunted by that for the rest of his life. It would be kind to hang him and put him out of his misery

A death penalty is no more cruel than taking away anothers life. In this case 3 innocent lives!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:58 AM, dinsdale said:

heaven and hell do exist !!!,...but they are here on this planet. I have been to both,...

23 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

I'm generally opposed to the death penalty as there is no reversing it should the wrong person be exonerated after the fact, and I've heard of that happening several times over the years, especially with the advent of DNA testing methods for evidence!  However, in cases such as this where there is  no question or doubt as to the perpetrator of this horrendous crime, then I'm all for it!  Besides punishing the convicted murderer, it sends a strong deterrent message to any future criminals as to what punishment they may expect to experience for committing similar crimes in the future!

Hm,...It has been proven again and again that the death penalty does nor deter the criminals. Those criminals always think they are smarter that the cops and that they have a good plan !!!

5 minutes ago, off road pat said:

heaven and hell do exist !!!,...but they are here on this planet. I have been to both,...

That's a fair comment mate. Hope you're in the heaven side here on Earth. I obviously don't know what your hell on earth was but I hope it's well in your past.

• Like 1