Pattaya tourism boom leads to a traffic nightmare

webfact

22 hours ago, n8sail said:

They are building an Icon Siam mall next to Ocean Marina in Na Jomtien.  The new highway exits literally right there.  The pilings are being driven as I type.

As I live right there, I'm half excited, half terrified.  Walking to the mall will be nice.   The marina will get a lot more busy though.

When they finally finish all the flyovers on Sukhumvit in that area traffic will be far better.

Just be happy you guys don't live in Rayong.  The house I lived in there for 7 years had construction on literally every single road in every direction from it for more than 5 years.  It was absolute hell.  They are STILL working on one of the intersections, literally 4 years now.  It is an absolute embarrassment. 

My 1st step onto these shores was in 1991 and not long afterwords they were working on beach road.

They are still working on it. Is this a description of a "money pit"? wtf

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The traffic is what keeps me from popping into Pattaya for a few hours on a whim. Just like going to the malls, if you go past noon parking becomes a dilemma.

Confine your whims to weekdays. Avoid holidays as well.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, petermik said:

That involves planning and they aint too good a that here.........

Or managing, or organising, or discipline, or meeting deadlines, or honesty, or honouring promises, or meeting contractual obligations, or ensuring minimum occupational health and safety etc.

4 hours ago, jaideedave said:

They are still working on it. Is this a description of a "money pit"? wtf

No. "Cash cow." Building roads, widening roads, improving roads usually leads to more business development and revenue generation. Such has been the case here--in more ways than one.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, morrobay said:

April is starting low season for tourism. Have a look at who all are causing the traffic jams, it's Thais in these cars not tourists. There also has been major increase in motorbikes here. Again with Thai drivers. Then combined with endless roadwork is the traffic mess. 

After May 1, traffic has been a lot lighter in Pattaya. Maybe the Thais went home.

You could close all 7/11 and family mart stores.

Traffic would then flow with easy around town.

That one is for all the considerate drivers of Pattaya. :bah:

Car stays parked up now days, motor bike only if going into town.

Thepprasit is a no-go area; the stupid plan to stop U-turns will turn into a nightmare.  Having driven several kilometres one way looking for a chance to drive back the same distance is no way to improve Pattaya's air quality.

• Thumbs Up 1