OA evisa: Does the embassy check that you are currently living in your "home" country

I would like to travel before getting another OA Visa. Does someone know if the embassy checks with some governement agency where you are living? Me being German of course there is a german institution where all data is stored. My guess is the thai embassy does not check. Embassy demands a proof of residence that in my case was a photo of my national ID where it was stated that I live in Germany, to my knowledge no one checks further or am I wrong? Thanks! If they do not check one could get back to back OA Visas.

If you don't want the additional hassle of being required to buy certain insurances to get your extensions avoid the O-A.  Just do as advised above.

Lots of discussions on the forum about arriving visa exempt and switching in Thailand to a non O extension.  

• Like 1

Yep I came in visa exempt, used an agent & switched to O Visa, was easy and I went to agents straight away to get ball rolling (this was in Phuket)

Agents fees a few weeks ago in Patong were;

1. Own money 800K in your own Bank account - 35,000Baht (option I used) I live in Phuket I want my stamp in Phuket (see below)

2. They 'assist' with the 800K 39,000Baht (You have to open a Bangkok Bank account through them additional cost of 9500Baht - incl a years Insurance) how ever this method can not be done in Phuket so entails a trip to Pattaya (where you go in person to Immigration) as thats where the stamp will be given... so prob another 5 or 6K baht on top. Personally was not for me as Id like to do my own extensions going forwards

Edited by Lokie
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

If you go to the O-A visa application form it says "Must have the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted"

The "nationality of" is obviously addressed by your passport and the only additional ID required is a copy of "driver's licemce or other photo ID". Nowhere does the application ask for proof of address.so you should be fine

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Yep I came in visa exempt, used an agent & switched to O Visa, was easy and I went to agents straight away to get ball rolling (this was in Phuket)

Agents fees a few weeks ago in Patong were;

1. Own money 800K in your own Bank account - 35,000Baht (option I used) I live in Phuket I want my stamp in Phuket (see below)

2. They 'assist' with the 800K 39,000Baht (You have to open a Bangkok Bank account through them additional cost of 9500Baht - incl a years Insurance) how ever this method can not be done in Phuket so entails a trip to Pattaya (where you go in person to Immigration) as thats where the stamp will be given... so prob another 5 or 6K baht on top. Personally was not for me as Id like to do my own extensions going forwards

How much?????

48 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you go to the O-A visa application form it says "Must have the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted"

The "nationality of" is obviously addressed by your passport and the only additional ID required is a copy of "driver's licemce or other photo ID". Nowhere does the application ask for proof of address.so you should be fine

Those prices are rediculous, you're getting hosed. 35k for hand-holding, really? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Those prices are rediculous, you're getting hosed. 35k for hand-holding, really? 

I think you quoted the wrong post but you are correct, with no finances in place, (In Pattaya) it's 23,500b to convert a Visa Exempt to Non-Imm O add in another 3-3,500b to open a Bank Account. 

@Lokiemight have mixed-up doing the conversion yourself & just getting the 90 day Non-Imm O Visa (after which you have to do the 1st extension in the same place that you got the Visa) with using an agent to do the conversion (which gets you the 90 day Non-Imm O Visa + the 1st year extension, so 15 months) after which you're free to do your extensions anywhere.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you quoted the wrong post but you are correct, with no finances in place, (In Pattaya) it's 23,500b to convert a Visa Exempt to Non-Imm O add in another 3-3,500b to open a Bank Account. 

@Lokiemight have mixed-up doing the conversion yourself & just getting the 90 day Non-Imm O Visa (after which you have to do the 1st extension in the same place that you got the Visa) with using an agent to do the conversion (which gets you the 90 day Non-Imm O Visa + the 1st year extension, so 15 months) after which you're free to do your extensions anywhere.  

Yeah Im taking you learned fellows out there already knew its 15mths first time,

I decided to use agent as locally here in Phuky there are that many people from a certain country trying/doing extensions things are taking a bit longer and good advice was for your first time just pay & use the services of an agent, I know some will baulk at the costs, but this is RL in Patong anyway, yes Nakon Nowhere may be peanuts etc Im just giving facts as they was a few weeks ago here in Patong (BTW the Agents I used are who all my friends use locally with excellent service reputation Im sure there are cheaper agents about but I go with real info and results) As said this year paid, for my first time - they charge 15K for renewal nxt year.. I will be doing myself though so no need to pay that

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

oh yeah I did quote the wrong post. I'm sober, how the hell did that happen? ????

@Lokie is the one quoting 35k baht for handholding in Phuket, that's highway robbery.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Yeah Im taking you learned fellows out there already knew its 15mths first time,

I decided to use agent as locally here in Phuky there are that many people from a certain country trying/doing extensions things are taking a bit longer and good advice was for your first time just pay & use the services of an agent, I know some will baulk at the costs, but this is RL in Patong anyway, yes Nakon Nowhere may be peanuts etc Im just giving facts as they was a few weeks ago here in Patong (BTW the Agents I used are who all my friends use locally with excellent service reputation Im sure there are cheaper agents about but I go with real info and results) As said this year paid, for my first time - they charge 15K for renewal nxt year.. I will be doing myself though so no need to pay that

No way is ฿35k with your own money a good deal. A friend of a friend lives in Phuket and he told me he pays ฿8k for handholding. Didn't ask about the details because Phuket is off my radar for the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

oh yeah I did quote the wrong post. I'm sober, how the hell did that happen? ????

@Lokie is the one quoting 35k baht for handholding in Phuket, that's highway robbery.

agree its a bit steep but hey wont break the bank... and no stress at all... had one visit to Phuket IMO in/out 2 mins to have pic taken... lots of people sat outside in Blazing sun waiting for what ever they had to wait for... To add I know otheres who have tried at Phuket to renew themselves and had the PP thrown back to gthem told to go where it was issued/stamped to renew, Phuket Immigration will not do... These peeps end up starting the process again at Phuket as said local to Phuket Immigration

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No way is ฿35k with your own money a good deal. A friend of a friend lives in Phuket and he told me he pays ฿8k for handholding. Didn't ask about the details because Phuket is off my radar for the moment.

Mmm bit broad ranging your friend of a friend - handholding... for what? could be anything... As said I used a bonifida quality Visa Agent used by all locally they all pay these rates... maybe your friend of a friend should go into to business he could make a Killing here... Each to there own of course I just post my own experience not hearsay, soz dont want to hijack the thread

3 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Mmm bit broad ranging your friend of a friend - handholding... for what?

Sorry that was for a Non-O one-year extension with own money in the bank, agent doing the legwork. I didn't press him on the details as I was more interested in getting another beer in ????

Edited by Lemsta69

16 minutes ago, Lokie said:

agree its a bit steep but hey wont break the bank... and no stress at all... had one visit to Phuket IMO in/out 2 mins to have pic taken... lots of people sat outside in Blazing sun waiting for what ever they had to wait for... To add I know otheres who have tried at Phuket to renew themselves and had the PP thrown back to gthem told to go where it was issued/stamped to renew, Phuket Immigration will not do... These peeps end up starting the process again at Phuket as said local to Phuket Immigration

I'm all for making life as easy as possible & if it's easier to pay more but do it locally then I'd have probably have done the same thing (as it was, at the time of getting my Non O I was working in SG & only able to spend 3-5 days at a time in Thailand so did a long weekend in Penang & used an agent there to get mine). 

I do pay an agent (in Pattaya) 8K to do my extensions (have 800K in the bank) so the price quoted for same in Phuket isn't unreasonable, 12.5K would get you an extension without the finances here.

Yeah I could do it myself but I value time/stress free processes more than money so get an agent to do it plus get me my multi-reentry permit at the same time, this adds 4K to the cost so 12K all in, 1K pm,  approx. 35b per day. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, stat said:

I would like to travel before getting another OA Visa. Does someone know if the embassy checks with some governement agency where you are living? ... If they do not check one could get back to back OA Visas.

This is an interesting option!

Would it be possible to apply for and get an O-A eVisa without being in your home-country? 

If you meet all the requirements, and in case there would be no need to physcally provide your passport to the Thai embassy in your home-country, that would avoid having to make the trip abroad to apply for a new 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa. 

And it would provide you with a Multiple-Entry Visa valid for almost 2 years (when re-entering Thailand just before Visa expiry) without the need to semi-permanently park +800K on a personal Thai bank-account. 

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Sorry that was for a Non-O one-year extension with own money in the bank, agent doing the legwork. I didn't press him on the details as I was more interested in getting another beer in ????

Fair enough, still a lot cheaper at 8K its 15K for same here (with this agent anyway)

the 35K was initial 3mths stamp then the 12mth extension (15mths total) also, yes Phuket is premium charges but this is where I like myself - suits me  

OA Visa is perfect for me as I get close to 2 years of stay instead of 1 year for O Visa. 175€ for 2 years and half the hassle, I will go again OA as there is no need to discuss with Thai immigration. I just send my stuff online to embassy and thats that. Also hate to deposit 800.000 Baht in a thai bank that presses me for an insurance and other nonsense as well as problems in opening a bank account without a credit limit (never needed bank account so far) ????

I have health insurance for 60€ per month so thats OK, difficult for 70+ people I agree.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:34 AM, Red Phoenix said:

This is an interesting option!

Would it be possible to apply for and get an O-A eVisa without being in your home-country? 

If you meet all the requirements, and in case there would be no need to physcally provide your passport to the Thai embassy in your home-country, that would avoid having to make the trip abroad to apply for a new 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa. 

And it would provide you with a Multiple-Entry Visa valid for almost 2 years (when re-entering Thailand just before Visa expiry) without the need to semi-permanently park +800K on a personal Thai bank-account. 

No need to send in Passport anymore and be in your home country. You send a photo of a document that shows that you live in your country. Of course no one can verify if document is up to date or at least that is my understanding so far. I would like to travel 2 month before submitting my OA Visa and will not be registered in Germany at beginning of trip.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stat said:

I would like to travel 2 month before submitting my OA Visa and will not be registered in Germany at beginning of trip.

So let's take it to the extreme.

You fly from Europe to eg Vietnam. 

After all you have visa exempt entry to that country.

You then apply for eVisa non O-A while you are staying in Vietnam...

Subsequently fly into Thailand with a non O-A.

It's a basic error that was overlooked with introduction of eVisa .

Quite comical really.

Some visas eg non O-A and METV had requirements to be in home country or country where you have permanent residence. 

Good luck with your plan. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, Pattaya57 said:

... Nowhere does the application ask for proof of address.so you should be fine

Somewhere a screenshot was posted of a subsequent page in the e-visa application. Some proof of residence was required and it said "pdf".

51 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Somewhere a screenshot was posted of a subsequent page in the e-visa application. Some proof of residence was required and it said "pdf".

I posted a screenshot of that requirement here and commented on it. That was about a tourist e-visa application and I don't know if it also shows up on the screen for other visa categories.

• Thanks 1