So which UK banks allow non resident British citizens to have accounts in the UK, i'm thinking those of us who are permanently in Thailand.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:58 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

As far as HSBC is concerned i am not a UK resident as i don't spend any time living in the UK. That is my understanding.

I am sure you are right. It seems every bank has its own rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That is nonsense.

I speak as a former HSBC senior manager and if HSBC adopts a policy not to open non-resident accounts then that manager will not have the discretion to do others. HSBC are consistent and would not permit the possibility of different decisions being made in different locations...... so a manager in Leeds will let you open an account, but a manager in Birmingham says no !!!!!!! The same would apply to any decision to close existing non-resident account - forget negotiation.

So how come FD a member of HSBC let me continue banking with them and except my only address which is in Thailand.

Is there some kind of grandfather system or just a manager decision.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

So how come FD a member of HSBC let me continue banking with them and except my only address which is in Thailand.

I think many banks operate a grandfather system. I know mine (NatWest International) does. I've had an account with them for over 30 years (it was originally RBS International but they switched all personal accounts to NatWest a few years ago) and I've been able to keep the account I always had but I can't open any new accounts with them  - I asked just last year.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think many banks operate a grandfather system. I know mine (NatWest International) does. I've had an account with them for over 30 years (it was originally RBS International but they switched all personal accounts to NatWest a few years ago) and I've been able to keep the account I always had but I can't open any new accounts with them  - I asked just last year.

I believe the same with my First Direct bank account which I opened when they first kicked off. 

I'm restricted from borrowing money from them that's all. 

As long as my private pensions are paid in every month I don't see them having to close my account.

If any changes I can easily go back to the UK address they have, I asked them long ago if they could send credit card and debit card to Thailand. 

Statements if required I can print off on-line.

The free 250quid overdraft has been handy at times but I can go 500 and the interest charges on the 250 overdraft is not extortionate. 

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It is run independently (although key policies will be mutual). 

Neither HSBC nor FD are closing non-resident accounts at the moment......neither are they opening new accounts for non-residents

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, hotandsticky said:

That is nonsense.

I speak as a former HSBC senior manager and if HSBC adopts a policy not to open non-resident accounts then that manager will not have the discretion to do others. HSBC are consistent and would not permit the possibility of different decisions being made in different locations...... so a manager in Leeds will let you open an account, but a manager in Birmingham says no !!!!!!! The same would apply to any decision to close existing non-resident account - forget negotiation.

FACTS fly in the face of your post.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:27 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

As the topic title says, is anyone aware if it is possible ?

Officially, no UK banks permit non-residents to have accounts.  Many people who opened accounts in the past when they were resident or provide a false UK address still have those accounts and haven't been bothered but they could be asked to close them if their bank wants to enforce their regulations.

No UK bank will open a new account for a non-resident such as an expat in Thailand.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 5/19/2023 at 2:16 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

But what happens if they are not happy for me as an existing account holder of over 40 years to keep my account whilst living in Thailand, they will close it and then i'm ........

I use my UK HSBC advance account to not only receive my pensions but to also pay certain monthly commitments i have. 

I did say it was discretionary.

I am also a customer from the Midland days and it was over 10 years ago they picked up the fact the address I was using was a PO box in disguise.

I was allowed to keep the account provided I kept my pensions going into the account and provided contact and bank account details in Thailand. They also allowed me to continue using the PO box address.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, topt said:

However it probably means you need a UK address and theoretically you should be a UK resident.....although it does not say that on that page

Their second page does ask for a UK address, at which the applicant will be checked, obviously.  Being a UK resident is not a "theoretical" requirement, it is an absolute requirement for a new account.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:55 PM, driver52 said:
On 4/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, bradiston said:

Revolut doesn't operate in Thailand. Try Wise.

works fine for me.....a debit/credit card is a debit/credit card when using t'internet, n'est ce pas?

Revolut does not currently offer facilities for new applications from Thailand.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:12 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

'Smile Bank'. I do not have a UK address but I have all my UK monies sent via them. Have been with them nearly 20 years.

How does that help anyone who wants to open a new account from Thailand when they require all applicants to be UK resident?

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?   Non-UK residents such as the OP is asking about cannot.

I informed them I was moving to Thailand and ope.ned a new account with the said company 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I did say it was discretionary.

I am also a customer from the Midland days and it was over 10 years ago they picked up the fact the address I was using was a PO box in disguise.

I was allowed to keep the account provided I kept my pensions going into the account and provided contact and bank account details in Thailand. They also allowed me to continue using the PO box address.

Although of no use to guys who need to set-up a UK Bank account from Thailand, this service might help us to keep them…

www.ukpostbox.com

I did ask the guy who recommended it what proof of address he needed for his bank to change to this address & he was able to do it all online with no proof necessary… 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:16 AM, Pumpuynarak said:
On 5/19/2023 at 2:03 AM, sandyf said:

You are wrong to use the word "must".

I had a prolonged discussion with an HSBC manager on this issue. The situation is that it is not HSBC policy to service accounts for people that are not UK residents but the policy is at the discretion of the manager concerned.

It would be very difficult for a non resident to open a new account but existing account holders should be able to negotiate keeping their account.

Expand  

But what happens if they are not happy for me as an existing account holder of over 40 years to keep my account whilst living in Thailand, they will close it and then i'm ........

That would be your problem entirely if you do not meet the requirements of the bank.  The bank did not make you Non-resident, you did it yourself.