One-Way Flight Tickets Into Thailand.

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You were required to have one, you were fortunate you weren't checked.

Fortunate? What do you think the worst thing that can happen the Spanish Inquisition?  Buy another ticket and go to the lounge or go to a hotel and regroup. 

I usually fly from Korea Japan or Singapore no hassle on one-way standby tickets. Not as strict as England or Middle East  apparently. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Fortunate? What do you think the worst thing that can happen the Spanish Inquisition?  Buy another ticket and go to the lounge or go to a hotel and regroup

Don't understand remotely what that means.

The onward flight may be required by airline at check in.

Yes one option would be to step away from check in and book cheapest onward flight available.

Obviously you need internet and ability to pay online for ticket. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand remotely what that means.

The onward flight may be required by airline at check in.

Yes one option would be to step away from check in and book cheapest onward flight available.

Obviously you need internet and ability to pay online for ticket. 

I can explain it for you, I can't understand it for you. Happy to be off the ignore list though Doctor.

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

I can explain it for you, I can't understand it for you. Happy to be off the ignore list though Doctor.

So this thread is about onward flight perhaps required by airline.

You post this ....

"Buy another ticket and go to the lounge or go to a hotel and regroup" 

What the heck does that mean? 

The airline can require an onward flight within 30 days if flying visa exempt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So this thread is about onward flight perhaps required by airline.

You post this ....

"Buy another ticket and go to the lounge or go to a hotel and regroup" 

What the heck does that mean? 

The airline can require an onward flight within 30 days if flying visa exempt. 

It means exactly what I posted. If they deny you boarding due to “no onward ticket” you can possibly  buy another ticket on the spot . (The lounge is the place in the airport where as a member, or based on your status flying business class you relax and enjoy refreshments). 

If none  of that is possible, pull out your mobile. Book a nearby hotel. Leave the airport. Go there by any means  available. Fly another day.

Is that really that hard to "understand"?

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Please stop nonsense.

Most folk are not flying "lounge".

Sad attempt to impress. 

Then you post this ...

"Book a nearby hotel. Leave the airport. Go there by anny means  available. Fly another day." 

That surely is a joke. 

Would mean forfeit flight and book hotel and expensive next day flight. 

Ridiculous.

Ignore. 

Just keep marking posts “confused”

I can explain it for you. I can’t understand it for you. 

Edited by Captain Monday

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Just keep marking posts “confused”

I can explain it for you. I can’t understand it for you. 

I did not post emoji confused.

That was someone else.

Don't blame them.

Now permanent ignore.

Please contribute positively. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I did not post emoji confused.

That was someone else.

Don't blame them.

Now permanent ignore.

Please contribute positively. 

That’s too bad. Your retorts lack energy and precision, but your posts and contributions are valuable. Be well. 

• Love It 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, JayClay said:

Almost. Type of visa is not important, it's whether you have one or not that counts.

If you don't have a visa, and are intending to enter Thailand visa-exempt, your airline will probably want a return ticket or proof of onward travel.

If have any kind of visa, this issue disappears.

Must be a Non Immigrant Visa - Tourist Visa will still need an onward or return ticket (airline may or may not enforce this). 

3 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Must be a Non Immigrant Visa - Tourist Visa will still need an onward or return ticket (airline may or may not enforce this). 

With a tourist visa airline at departure will NOT ask for proof of onward flight..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Just to add another angle here. Had some time to kill waiting for my connecting flight upon arrival at FRA with Oman Air and asked them if for my return to BKK my (within 30 days of arrival)  bus ticket from Aranyaprathet/Poipet to Siem Reap would be accepted. They said it would and that their policy was traveler self-responsibility anyway. I would love this if true & practiced by all airlines.

Will put that to the test then on the 24th at MUC.

Although logical, most airlines will not accept a bus/rail ticket. When you are trying to enter visa exempt, they are aware that Thai Immigration can deny you entry. They want to be sure they can recover the cost to remove you from Thailand if you are denied entry. For that reason, in most cases, an airline will be perfectly happy if you have a return flight booked on the same airline (even if it is not within 30 days). If necessary, they can easily grab that return ticket to defray the cost.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Let's be clear. The requirements to apply for a visa at a consulate and the requirements to board a flight are not the same.

If you have any type of visa or have a re-entry permit, no onward flight booking is required to check in for a flight and board the aircraft.

If you are planning a visa exempt entry or to apply for a visa on arrival, whether Thai Immigration will grant these is at their discretion. Under those circumstances, the IATA guidelines (used by almost all international carriers) recommend an onward flight ticket. The closer your departure point to Thailand, the more likely it is that the airline will insist on this onward flight ticket (mainly so they have something to grab if faced with the cost of removing you from Thailand if you are denied entry). Airlines Servicing local routes (especially, low cost airlines) more often face the problem of INADs (Inadmissible persons, and are more liable to insist on an existing booking they can grab as necessary. However, all airlines might enforce this requirement, though they may agree to let you board if you sign an indemnity form instead.

• Thanks 2

On 5/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, DrJack54 said:

It certainly is not.

Also in regards to onward flight that's exactly what's required.

Flight.

Train/bus ticket not acceptable. 

I asked them, they said yes. Carries a lot more weight than some stranger's opinion on the internet. 

I'm not disputing the rules nor claiming this would always be sufficient but not all airlines handle this the same way.

I shall report back here on the 25th.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Although logical, most airlines will not accept a bus/rail ticket. When you are trying to enter visa exempt, they are aware that Thai Immigration can deny you entry. They want to be sure they can recover the cost to remove you from Thailand if you are denied entry. For that reason, in most cases, an airline will be perfectly happy if you have a return flight booked on the same airline (even if it is not within 30 days). If necessary, they can easily grab that return ticket to defray the cost.

I live in the region. My ticket to Bangkok IS my return ticket ????

Anyway, I asked the non-low cost carrier and received an answer in the positive. Might be different on the actual day of departure, I realize that but I won't do/get anything else in advance.

This is in the same category as the "must have 20K THB (in any currency)" rule. This is only enforced if they don't approve of "your nose" upon arrival.

Imagine if the burden was on the airlines to check that also.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With a tourist visa airline at departure will NOT ask for proof of onward flight..

Not the case with me at Heathrow in 2019 flying to Thailand with Asiana. They checked that my return was within the validity of the Thai tourist visa I was entering on.

32 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

I asked them, they said yes. Carries a lot more weight than some stranger's opinion on the internet. 

I'm not disputing the rules nor claiming this would always be sufficient but not all airlines handle this the same way.

I shall report back here on the 25th.

Don't bother to report back.

If your airline does not ask for onward flight with you flying visa exempt would mean nothing as many report that an onward flight was not asked for by airline at check in. 

Also MANY report that it was required. 

These threads come along ever couple of weeks..

You stated ......

"They said it would and that their policy was traveler self-responsibility anyway" 

In other words that particular airline has a "self-responsibility" policy.

Meaning the bus/train ticket is relevant.

The airlines do not accept those.

Assume that you are returning visa exempt..

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Not the case with me at Heathrow in 2019 flying to Thailand with Asiana. They checked that my return was within the validity of the Thai tourist visa I was entering on.

That was VERY unusual.

My guess is the clerk didn't know what they were doing. 

• Thanks 1

I'm returning back to BKK from NYC.  For my tourist Visa, a return ticket is required when applying.  I will buy my onward ticket to show my exit out out BKK.  

My question is this---since I have to apply for my Visa not less than 30 prior to departure, does that onward ticket expire.  I am certain the airlines in NYC will require me to show an exit out of BKK ! ! ! 

Please advise.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Makoshark said:

My question is this---since I have to apply for my Visa not less than 30 prior to departure, does that onward ticket expire.

Yes they expire.

The online form has options but typically the expire in few/couple of days. 

You state....

"I am certain the airlines in NYC will require me to show an exit out of BKK ! ! ! " 

The airline at departure will not require an onward flight as you will have a tourist visa 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Does anyone have recent exp with Oz Jetstar  Melb. to Bkk, friend arriving next week with no visa and return ticket but in 45 days, not 30. Thanks

Jetstar will ask for onward flight.

I suggest explain to clerk at check in that intends to obtain 30 day extension and also show his return flight.

Thinking he will be fine.

Fall back plan would be to step away from check in and book a flight using companies such as "onwardticket.com" 

Takes minutes. 

Obviously needs wifi and card to pay. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

Its not the end of the world, but who wants to lose a few thousand dollars?

You would not miss your flight.

You would step away from check in and either book the cheapest flight out of Thailand OR 

Buy a rent a flight ticket from company such as "onwardfligh.com" 

Both work.

As for you comment about your experience landing in Bangkok and being asked for ticket.

That was boarding pass for the flight you arrived on.

That's a standard requirement.

The onward flight was not required by the io..

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Jetstar will ask for onward flight.

I suggest explain to clerk at check in that intends to obtain 30 day extension and also show his return flight.

Thinking he will be fine.

Fall back plan would be to step away from check in and book a flight using companies such as "onwardticket.com" 

Takes minutes. 

Obviously needs wifi and card to pay. 

Thanks, yes I have prev explained that possibility to him, grumpy wont buy a thro away ticket so fingers crossed.! 

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Thanks, yes I have prev explained that possibility to him, grumpy wont buy a thro away ticket so fingers crossed.! 

I just now did a dry run on the site I mentioned previously.

It literally took seconds to get to the "confirm and pay" 

They are issued instantly. 

He will be asked.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, DrJack54 said:

Don't bother to report back.

If your airline does not ask for onward flight with you flying visa exempt would mean nothing as many report that an onward flight was not asked for by airline at check in. 

Also MANY report that it was required. 

These threads come along ever couple of weeks..

You stated ......

"They said it would and that their policy was traveler self-responsibility anyway" 

In other words that particular airline has a "self-responsibility" policy.

Meaning the bus/train ticket is relevant.

The airlines do not accept those.

Assume that you are returning visa exempt..

Since Oman Air is an established player, I will report back, as it could be an indicator of the airline having a more relaxed attitude and thus potentially having value for others. Just don't read it then ????

I've flown into Thailand since 1999 and dealt with this issue many times. If certain politicians feel that we're all "dirty" drug taking no good layabout farang whose only goal after arriving is to overstay, that's not my problem. I aim get away with what works best for me to satisfy that rule ☺️.

• Thumbs Up 1