Thai Shop Assistants.

Op...   Its just two bad encountered....  there are a few crazies around, thats about it....

I had an impolite AOT taxi the other day...   Not really that impolite, but they usually say hello etc... this guy acted like I didn’t exist, didnt even nod or acknowledge me... but took me the exact route I wanted to go so I didn’t mind, I just figured it was strange and somewhat abnormal behaviour - and thats just the crux of it, some people are just down-right strange and when you encounter them you have to realise its not you, its them.... unless, well... it is you !!! ????

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
19 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

No, no mask on.

Mask wearing is part of Thai culture, even when on a scooter with no helmet.

While there are places and establishments that will accept walk-in customers without a mask, IME they are usually restaurants.

There is still quite a lot of COVID in Thailand. It's not surprising some places would refuse to serve a maskless person, especially if they were foreigners.

I'm not so sure about that any more... 

I haven’t worn a mask in Thailand (Bangkok) at all this year - never any issues whatsoever. 

(I would if I go into a hospital or use the BTS)...  

While the vast majority of Thai’s are still wearing masks, many just seem not to care about them anyway...

.... So... I don’t think this overtly negative behaviour towards the Op is about mask wearing...  is perhaps more to do with something else he hasn’t picked up on... 

i.e. At the Key-shop - they can’t cut that specific type of Key.

i.e. At the Phone shop they don't have whatever it is he was asking for. 

- he simply took their firm response a little too personally perhaps... How many times did they say ’no’ before they raised their voice ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I haven’t worn a mask in Thailand (Bangkok) at all this year - never any issues whatsoever. 

While the vast majority of Thai’s are still wearing masks, many just seem not to care about them anyway...

.... So... I don’t think this overtly negative behaviour towards the Op is about mask wearing...  is perhaps more to do with something else he hasn’t picked up on... 

- he simply took their firm response a little too personally perhaps... How many times did they say ’no’ before they raised their voice ?

Richard, if they never had that type of key all he had to say was No have, or Mai mee, there was no need for all these dramatics. his voice was raised immediately.

At the phone shop I did not even have the chance to tell them what I wanted.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Probably the default "mai mi" when they can't speak English and assume you don't speak Thai, easier to just say No !  

If the guy in the key shop had just said no or mai mee in a normal voice and did not wave his arms about there would have been no problem.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I will just state one example. Parents who give their motorbike keys to their 10 years olds. If you don't think that is low mentality you are the one who should provide a photo of yourself. Do you want any more examples?

It seems that you are living in that world with no religion and little capitalism.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may be right, perhaps the OP does not use deodorant. Or his appearance /demeanor triggers the confrontation.

Mask observance may be more prevalent where the OP resides. While I don't know about Bangkok, and have no wish to stay there any more than one day, IMO mask observance is about 95% in Chiang Rai. If I go shopping in Big C, everyone has one.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And they didn't want you in their shop with no mask on , hence they told you to leave the shop ,

Certainly not the case of the key cutter, I have been in the shop a few times over the last two years never wearing a mask and never a problem. besides if they want me to wear a mask all they have to do is point at their mouth.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Certainly not the case of the key cutter, I have been in the shop a few times over the last two years never wearing a mask and never a problem. besides if they want me to wear a mask all they have to do is point at their mouth.

Maybe the previous shop assistant who worked in the shop and served you whilst you didn't wear a mask  died of Covid ?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

If the guy in the key shop had just said no or mai mee in a normal voice and did not wave his arms about there would have been no problem.

Pro tip: before starting a possible transaction w/ a Thai, FIRST smile and offer a friendly Sawasdee, krub, correctly pronounced. Don't wait for them to greet you. Just that immediately distinguishes you from the many farang idiots they have to deal with or have heard about. Try not to blow the first good impression and you're golden.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Pro tip: before starting a possible transaction w/ a Thai, FIRST smile and offer a friendly Sawasdee, krub, correctly pronounced. Don't wait for them to greet you. Just that immediately distinguishes you from the many farang idiots they have to deal with or have heard about. Try not to blow the first good impression and you're golden.

I add in "sabai dee mai" ( are you well?) as icing on the cake.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

He just needs to put  mask on , thats all they want 

• Confused 1