Thai Shop Assistants.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Maybe not from you. But Thais do not take kindly to being shouted at (and nor do I) so you might get a thumping. How long have you been here? You do know to just walk away from any confrontation, don't you? You said it yourself - you're in a country populated by a large number of idiots, or as you put it of low mentality. Live with it. I learned long ago to count to 10, sometimes 100, and then drop it.

Very sensible post. I have not raised my voice to any Thai's, not even my wife, but she is very highly educated and clever, except for an immigration officer, and that was only in retaliation to his attitude to me. He's not going to give me a thumping. I have stopped lot's of them both men and women from jumping in front of me in a queue without shouting, I just put my arm in front of them, as experience has taught me to always watch for them. I know I said I would shout back at them, but I have changed my mind on that.

• Like 1

Stand at attention, place your hand on your chest and start singing the national anthem.

Whatever you do, don't make eye contact. It will confuse some but they will join in after a bit.....  probably

...or one of Uncle P's top hits from his self titled album "Let Me Put My Democracy in You (Thailand)"

Everyone knows those.

• Haha 2

I have always tried my to respect other posters opinions even if I don't agree with them, but in this case I cannot.

I am very surprised so many farangs think it is OK for parents to hand their ten year olds the keys to their motorbikes to ride on public roads. The posters who live in places like Bangkok, ChangMai, Pattaya may not see that but here up country it is an epidemic.

Reading through this thread it must be noticed how many sad and confused emoticans I have received for complaining about underage motorbike riders. The posters responsible know who they are. I'll just leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have always tried my to respect other posters opinions even if I don't agree with them, but in this case I cannot.

I am very surprised so many farangs think it is OK for parents to hand their ten year olds the keys to their motorbikes to ride on public roads. The posters who live in places like Bangkok, ChangMai, Pattaya may not see that but here up country it is an epidemic.

Reading through this thread it must be noticed how many sad and confused emoticans I have received for complaining about underage motorbike riders. The posters responsible know who they are. I'll just leave it at that.

Although I know where you are coming from, in the UK, I was riding my own Lambretta, that I bought, to school underage, and that was near 60 years back....:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Although I know where you are coming from, in the UK, I was riding my own Lambretta, that I bought, to school underage, and that was near 60 years back....:stoner:

Yes, but as you will know about the difference on the roads between then in England and today in Thailand.

When I started driving as a teenager, I bought a cheap minivan took it to the industrial estate and practised driving although I knew how to drive to start with, I then started driving without a license for a few months then took 5 driving lessons to learn how to pass the test.

1 hour ago, transam said:

A proper little "mod" trans.........LOL

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:31 AM, Lacessit said:

I add in "sabai dee mai" ( are you well?) as icing on the cake.

Maybe also 'gin kao laeo?', and 'bpai nai?' will assure them that you are fully assimilated into Thai culture!:)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Maybe also 'gin kao laeo?', and 'bpai nai?' will assure them that you are fully assimilated into Thai culture!:)

I don't presume that far, although I speak reasonable Thai.

Assimilation is not something I aspire to, just getting along well will do. Jai yenn yenn.

19 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Another poster who has not been reading this topic properly.

From your answer you are not a very sociable type and unable to smile, I will remember you never to reply to your posts again.

Other members have mentioned it may be a mask issue ,  I was wondering if the shop workers who yelled at you were wearing masks ?  When did these incidents occur? If it was at the height of the pandemic and you were not masked up  it might have been considered  a predictable response,  but if it was more recently it does appear a bit extreme.  

Regarding your feelings about kids on motorbikes, obviously it's far from ideal, but you really need to accept that is how things are over here, regardless of the legalities, it is what it is, and is effectively ingrained in their culture,  you are not going to be the one to change it. all you can do is be extra careful and alert when driving. KIcking off about it to Thais is not the way to go.   

Try to imagine how people in  your home country would react if a foreigner started complaining that everybody drives on the wrong side of the road OK not the best example but I'm sure you know what I mean

To many people bring too much "baggage" here from their home countries, and effectively consign themselves to a life of frustration and conflict .  They would do well to remember the saying "when in Rome..." 

On 4/29/2023 at 4:57 PM, NoshowJones said:

I did not get a chance to speak. Can't you read my OP?

To many on here, the facts don't matter.  All that matters is that they can say you are in the wrong and the Thais you dealt with are perfect.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:02 PM, NoshowJones said:

I will just state one example. Parents who give their motorbike keys to their 10 years olds. If you don't think that is low mentality you are the one who should provide a photo of yourself. Do you want any more examples?

sounds like you still have some acclimatising to do after 16 years here............OR..........you just had a bad day. Maybe the type of key you wanted to be cut isn't done there i.e car keys. They dont shout No No No for no reason so expand on things and help us help you.

12 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

sounds like you still have some acclimatising to do after 16 years here............OR..........you just had a bad day. Maybe the type of key you wanted to be cut isn't done there i.e car keys. They dont shout No No No for no reason so expand on things and help us help you.

I have told you as it is,  There is nothing more to tell you. the key I wanted was for my topbox on the motorbike. I got a new top box and the key is very similar to one they cut for my previous top box.

YOU were the reason they shouted - you just didn't observe it!

Things like this happen for a reason that none of us here has any idea of but possibly you do!

I wonder what the assistants would say if we asked them, "WHY"?

I don't believe post-covid is relevant.

Going for their throat next time will likely give them reason to react "unfavourably" towards your person that you will definitely observe!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo