Netflix

DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ha. I'm kindergarten level and ubonjoe college professor.

Hopefully he back soon. 

The visa forum needs him.

But you are here and UJ unfortunately is NOT.

So kindergarten level has to do (you are way higher then that ???? )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for post.

I'm not fussed about using cell as hotspot.

It's more asking about if Netflix is best option and do you just subscribe online etc

One can subscribe to Amazon or YouTube for alternative sources of entertainment.

As another poster has said, an Android set-top box. IIRC, my mxQ box cost about 1500 baht.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MJCM said:

I believe it's connected to his Phone to connect to the Internet, his condo internet has one of those enter userid and password login screens to be able to connect to the Wifi / Internet.

Thanks.

I keep forgetting that you can share (hotspot) a WiFi connection. I never use that application feature, but for these managed WiFi services it's a great solution.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One can subscribe to Amazon or YouTube for alternative sources of entertainment.

There are Tizen OS versions of these two apps. available from Samsung, if not already loaded onto the TV.

They also have Apple TV+, and of course, Netflix.

Disney +/Hotstar and HBO Go are not available AFAIK. There are Google TV (and Android) versions of these two, which I sideloaded onto my Chromecast (4.0) w/Google TV. PITA though when they need to be updated.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

@MJCM and to all the other guys.

Thanks so much.

I spend too much time in Thai visa forum and get grumpy sometimes.

Then when I need help in forums such as this get reminded of how helpful AseanNow can be.

So UPDATE: It's all solved now.

The gf registered account on tv very simple. 

Also set up now. The 169baht per month comes out of her "true wallet" every month so no subscription and no credit card. 

In the end was simple to change language by going into her account on the TV Netflix..

So now it's back to normal and I use my room wifi and hotspot to tv. 

Hence right now using cell typing this and Netflix on telly. 

Thanks again .

Just curious, is there any particular reason why you can't get high speed internet directly to your condo? 

I'd die without my True 500/500 fibre connection.

39 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Just curious, is there any particular reason why you can't get high speed internet directly to your condo?

I'm at 101 level for technology.

The condo where I rent is owned by a private owner with no privately owned apartments.

No cabling would be possible.

Off topic but...

Very strict friendly staff. 

No noise here. 

Nothing left outside room etc etc

We have a couple of rental places and I'm aware that the tenants do various things to enable wifi and tv etc.

In any event for my needs, which is watch movies etc from Netflix or YouTube etc .....using my cell to connect to room wifi and hotspot to use TV works fine.

No buffering etc.

I can watch a streaming movie and at same time watch various things on my phone. 

So all good.

Picture quality excellent. 

I'm sure that there are possibly better options but I'm content. 

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The condo where I rent is owned by a private owner with no privately owned apartments.

Off topic but...

No noise here. 

We have a couple of rental places and I'm aware that the tenants do various things to enable wifi and tv etc.

In any event for my needs, which is watch movies etc from Netflix or YouTube etc .....using my cell to connect to room wifi and hotspot to use TV works fine.

No buffering etc.

I can watch a streaming movie and at same time watch various things on my phone. 

So all good.

Fair enough. I'm no expert either but I think the owner would have to pay a fair amount to get fibre installed throughout the building, so probably not worth the effort unless the place is full of speed freaks like me ????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I keep forgetting that you can share (hotspot) a WiFi connection. I never use that application feature, but for these managed WiFi services it's a great solution.

FWIW, Android uses the local IP address range 192.168.42.0/24 for WiFi tethering and 192.168.43.0/24 for USB tethering. Given that, and that the phone (likely) has a 192.168.1.x IP address from the house WiFi, there would no potential conflict.

But I'm not sure you could cast to the TV as the phone and TV are on different networks, and I'm not sure if the Home app. can "see" that network.

This is a similar dilemma we run into when using a VPN (with a far away IP address) on a mobile device, and trying to cast to a TV/Android box/Chromecast with a local 192.168.1.x address.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No buffering etc.

So all good.

You're probably getting up to 30 Mbps at the TV, so that's fine for 720p, which is what your package level offers, I think.

You could try different video-quality (720/30 fps) videos on YouTube, and Stats for Nerds to see current performance, and Buffer Health.

Just keep your phone on a charger, and make sure it doesn't get too hot.

4K/60 fps, connection speed ~ 177 Mbps. ~ 19 seconds in the buffer.

Netflix has a stats for nerds function, I think, but you need a Bluetooth keyboard attached to the TV to invoke it.

Connect a Bluetooth Keyboard to the TV from Settings< Remotes & Accessories < Accessories.
While watching any video on Netflix, just press F4 on the Keyboard and you would get the Video Stats.
Press the same key for turning off the Stats.

PXL_20230501_053449958.jpg

Edited by bamnutsak

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Off topic but...

No noise here. 

No buffering etc.

So all good.

Just so you know, you can connect the TV directly to the WiFi connection, but then you won’t have Internet on your phone, as apparently you don’t have an Internet package in your phone. Personally I think it’s a bit mean that the apartment owner only allows one user to sign in at a time. In my former apartment, two users were allowed to sign in at the same time. Talk to the person who deals with this. One sign-in seems inadequate. 

Moving on to the TV connection… connect the TV to the WiFi network and then open the Samsung Browser on the TV. If it doesn’t re-direct to the WiFi network sign-in page, ask the person who administers the network for the page address. It may be something like 192.168.1.254 or it may have an alphabetic URL; then to hit “Ok/Enter” The page should appear for you to sign in. Then you should be connected. 

Edited by NextG

44 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

FWIW, Android uses the local IP address range 192.168.42.0/24 for WiFi tethering and 192.168.43.0/24 for USB tethering. Given that, and that the phone (likely) has a 192.168.1.x IP address from the house WiFi, there would no potential conflict.

But I'm not sure you could cast to the TV as the phone and TV are on different networks, and I'm not sure if the Home app. can "see" that network.

This is a similar dilemma we run into when using a VPN (with a far away IP address) on a mobile device, and trying to cast to a TV/Android box/Chromecast with a local 192.168.1.x address.

You're probably getting up to 30 Mbps at the TV, so that's fine for 720p, which is what your package level offers, I think.

You could try different video-quality (720/30 fps) videos on YouTube, and Stats for Nerds to see current performance, and Buffer Health.

Just keep your phone on a charger, and make sure it doesn't get too hot.

4K/60 fps, connection speed ~ 177 Mbps. ~ 19 seconds in the buffer.

Netflix has a stats for nerds function, I think, but you need a Bluetooth keyboard attached to the TV to invoke it.

Connect a Bluetooth Keyboard to the TV from Settings< Remotes & Accessories < Accessories.
While watching any video on Netflix, just press F4 on the Keyboard and you would get the Video Stats.
Press the same key for turning off the Stats.

PXL_20230501_053449958.jpg

You are getting somewhat carried away…

For whom is your post? ????

Why don’t you utilise an Android box connected directly to the TV to avoid the need to Cast?

Edited by NextG

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

every cndo i have ever seen has a netork closet and cabling to the indiviual flats.

have you actually asked about a pvate connection?

• Confused 1

Hi drJack54,

I have been considering to buy a NetFlix scratch-card in my local 7-11 and check out the content to see if I like it. 

Like yourself I am streaming movies to my TV (actually via my laptop connected with an HDMI-cable to my TV) by using my mobile phone as Hotspot.  As I have a cheap 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM-card, I can watch movies in HiDef without any buffering. 

Reason that I did not yet check out NetFlix yet, is that I can watch movies/TV-series for free on https://fmovies.to

And the available content there is gigantic.  You can select from 25 genres and content from +30 Countries, so if you are a fan of scandinavian crimi-series you can browse what they have in that category.  To watch the content of your choice you have 4 different servers to choose from (this in case one of them is down, or slow for some reason, so you can simply switch to another server). 

The large majority of the available movies/TV-series also have sub-title options for +50 languages. And all this for FREE, so I simply do not have the time for NetFlix as my 'Watchlist' with movies and TV-series will keep me busy for many evenings to come. 

Note that it is worth to register on the site (also for free) as that allows you to 'save'  the movies/TV-series you are watching or would like to watch later. 

One TIP: When browsing the content, each movie/TV-series provides besides a description of the content also the IMDB-rating, which is quite useful because unknown content with a rating lower than 6.5 is in majority of cases not worth looking and a waste of your time.  

Cheers and happy viewing!

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I have been considering to buy a NetFlix scratch-card in my local 7-11 and check out the content to see if I like it.

Thanks for the post.

Lot to digest there.

I'm reasonably happy with Netflix.

Yes I do prefer crime and series.

Have been some good watching.

Seems to have a lot of Thai content but the cards are 169b per month.

The quality of picture is fine for my needs. 

• 3 months later...